Is it necessary to degree a camshaft?

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
Eventually I want to put together a fresh motor for my play/street truck.
(94 12V single cab short bed)

My concern is whether or not I will have to degree in the camshaft. I've watched Zack Hamiltons video a dozen times on how to degree a camshaft and it still sounds like a foreign language to me. With my new build I will be using a 13mm injection pump, billet cam & better flowing head. The pistons I've already collected for the engine might be a bit over kill but they have .250" valve relief cut into them.

Would installing a cam that calls for less valve clearance still need to be degree in?

I was wondering if a custom camshaft could be made to work around not being competent enough to degree the camshaft?

When you degree in a cam, you are double checking to see if the key way is in the proper location to the cam lobes. The cam lobes need to open and close at the proper time, in relation to the piston travel. Some cams can be ground spot in and some may be off. I spent time dialing in the cam I had ground for my engine. After checking things out, it was installed with a stock key.

Absolutely you need to degree it. Don't ever take any sales persons word that it will fine. If the key way is off it can trash an engine. If you don't feel comfortable doing it. Send me the cam gear and keys and I will do it and send it back with the gear on the cam ready to go

Absolutely you need to degree it. Don't ever take any sales persons word that it will fine. If the key way is off it can trash an engine. If you don't feel comfortable doing it. Send me the cam gear and keys and I will do it and send it back with the gear on the cam ready to go

That's a hell of an offer!

Sent from my flashscan v2

Jeremy, I will have to take you up on that offer! I don't know of a shop in town here that I would trust. When I figure out which cam I'm going to run I will give you a shout.

Last edited:
Jeremy, I will have to take you up on that offer! I don't know of a shop in town here that I would trust. When I figure out which cam I'm going to run I will give you a shout.

Sure thing.

The crank gear moving can also cause problems with your cam timing. Had the crank gear in my puller move enough to cause cam timing to change 2*.

8789420C-DDA1-4D92-AB9A-39C06C40F713_zpsafwuaoee.jpg

Is there a special process for welding the crank gear? Can it just be tig welded?

I just threw a quick tack on it with the tig. It didn't see much heat. Backside of the weld was still cool to the touch.

Back