Jefferson State Diesel Nationals - May 19th 2012

Man that is definately a nasty blow up, but wow did that truck travel a long way down the track after things went wrong......just saying...............

OK after watching it again, I can understand the not stopping part because of the speed and fire. I apologize for that, but getting it out of the grove even in the shutdown area helps the cleanup. I see it far too often things going wrong and the vehicle running down the center of the track the whole way down leading to hours of clean up. Again I apologize for callin you guys out on this,but instead of deleting my other post I thought I could just use it as a bit of a soap box I guess...

I agree, but there wasn't anything to clean up on the track, IIRC, all the spill, which was very little was in the return lane and it wasnt' much either. Russ correct me if I'm wrong. Delay was very short, 15-20 minutes max.

I agree, but there wasn't anything to clean up on the track, IIRC, all the spill, which was very little was in the return lane and it wasnt' much either. Russ correct me if I'm wrong. Delay was very short, 15-20 minutes max.

Downtime was about 15 minutes and it was all for the fire as far as i know. He oiled down the last 15 yards of the track before the turnoff, way further down the track than u would need to worry about perfect conditions. I know the fire flared back up at least once after it was first extinguished and it may have been more than that. He did nothing imo to lengthen the downtime.

Correct Ken, oil didnt start coming down until right at the finish (per video), Down time was for the fire on the turnout road, and I don't remember seeing a cleanup vehicle working the track. I felt her loosing power about the 1/8mi., mark and got out of it slowly (you can see the stack raise @ the 1/8). It didn't feel like I lost the motor, more like a boost leak. I've lost many Engines racing circle track. If I thought there was an oil issue, I would have had no trouble drifting her over into the mables. A bunch of the video was edited, you don't get to see me emptying my extinguisher, and about 5gal of dirt on the engine before the crew got there ;)

Last edited:
I was one of the next trucks in the staging lanes after this, I didn't see them doing any on-track cleanup (although they went out and checked the surface a couple of times), all the activity was on the return road where the guardrails obscured my view of it. I remember the announcer mentioning a couple of times that the fire was flaring back up. Just glad you got it out without more damage! My new race truck has an on-board fire system. I may add one to my gasser as well, I was surprised how light the system is.

With as much oil as these things have in them, my little 2lb extinguisher didn't stand a chance. The oil saturated the hot pipe wrap and hood insulation. Other then that nothing was damaged. I'll definetly be securing a larger extinguisher in the bed, plus have an on-board system on the Drag Truck.

Sum up video of the event:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO8oYgzrh_E&hd=1"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

Sweet video. Track was a little greasy, time 1:00 in the video. Feathering the pedal and still couldn't hook.

Last edited:
Back