Kinda in a Dilemma

Yea well its either I buy a diesel truck or a sports car. From my understanding as well big trucks are alot to insure as well. I am sure Ill figure something out.

I am reading up on the 6.0's and the only problems seem to be are the EGR coolers. Head gaskets, and head bolts, so people are switching over to head studs instead. apparently they're aren't very boost friendly.

I am gonna do some reading and see if I come across any flaws in the 12V Cummins and 7.3L whether it be a IDI or Turbo. Oh I heard the turbo seals tend to blow on the 6.0's as well, I've seen it happen on 7.3L as well.

If you're worried about insurance on a sports car, get an AMC Javelin.

No computers, but my insurance company thinks it's a bass boat, so the insurance is WAY down. LOL

If you're worried about insurance on a sports car, get an AMC Javelin.

No computers, but my insurance company thinks it's a bass boat, so the insurance is WAY down. LOL

No it's not that. It seems the diesels and the 03-04 Cobra are some what Identical for insurance. I am looking at STI's and evo's as well. I was looking at swapping a LS3 or LSx into an F-body Camaro but I figure I'd hold that off for a while and just decide to get either the truck or car. Just need to find what would be more useful at this time.

A truck will always be more useful than a car.

Unless you spend a lot of time running from the cops. Then the handling of a car comes in handy...

I use my truck for business so all my expenses are tax deductions, has saved me thousands in taxes as a single guy thats self employed.

Lavon

Dieselkid, are you related to ChaseN?

Get a 94-98 12V and be done with it. You're not into old school methods, fine. Think of it this way: The 12v Cummins with the P pump is the equivilant to the four barrell small block of the gasser world. Tons of em, parts are cheap, great performance for the dollar.

If it ever breaks and you're still in the good graces of members here, tell us what it did and fellas here will all but turn the wrench for you. (Some may do that if you're close enough.)

At one point you threw out 20 grand as an attainable purchase price. Then you mention purchasing outright. With your income as it is now, I would encourage you to not over extend yourself with a large loan as others have stated. If you really have 20 grand in the bank, you're setting on enough to have a 600 HP truck and enough fuel money for a year to enjoy it. That is not possible with any other truck you mention.

Everyone here is giving you sound advice. Even guys with Powerstroke tattoos are thinking "Damn, this kid should buy a 12 valve." It's cheaper and easier to fix with greater power potential per dollar than any other light duty diesel. Period.

The choice is yours, get whatever you want. But the advice you're looking for in this thread is pretty clear and isn't likely going to change as the thread continues. If brand loyalty takes you in another direction, that's fine as well.

Buy nice gas vehicle and save up for a diesel later, Owning a diesel is expensive... oil changes, fuel, parts, etc... If you dont have some good cash comming in to keep up with the cost of things, it will only bury you and you might end up letting it go back to the bank and ruin your finances for a long time!!

Ian

I think you have 3 options.

Option 1: buy a 12v like everyone in this thread has suggested. (It makes the most sense given your initial post)

Option 2: buy a powerstroke (this is what you seem to want to hear)

Option 3:
just buy a neon and be done with it.
(this just seems to fit)

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Chris

Dieselkid, are you related to ChaseN?

Get a 94-98 12V and be done with it. You're not into old school methods, fine. Think of it this way: The 12v Cummins with the P pump is the equivilant to the four barrell small block of the gasser world. Tons of em, parts are cheap, great performance for the dollar.

If it ever breaks and you're still in the good graces of members here, tell us what it did and fellas here will all but turn the wrench for you. (Some may do that if you're close enough.)

At one point you threw out 20 grand as an attainable purchase price. Then you mention purchasing outright. With your income as it is now, I would encourage you to not over extend yourself with a large loan as others have stated. If you really have 20 grand in the bank, you're setting on enough to have a 600 HP truck and enough fuel money for a year to enjoy it. That is not possible with any other truck you mention.

Everyone here is giving you sound advice. Even guys with Powerstroke tattoos are thinking "Damn, this kid should buy a 12 valve." It's cheaper and easier to fix with greater power potential per dollar than any other light duty diesel. Period.

The choice is yours, get whatever you want. But the advice you're looking for in this thread is pretty clear and isn't likely going to change as the thread continues. If brand loyalty takes you in another direction, that's fine as well.

I only said was within a 20G budget because that seems to be closer to reach rather then 60G at this time, I have quite a few grand saved up, I much rather buy the vehicle outright because it be better just in case I lost my job. If worse comes to worst I take the vehicle off insurance and park it until I get back on my feet comfortably again. as I mentioned before. I already have a car I am just looking for something for winter etc. There is also no hurry for it, its just an idea. I've read up alot on Powerstrokes that why I am more favor to them, I have read up a little on cummins as well. when the time gets near Ill do much research. I apologize if you think I came off rude in anyway.

Back