Lacking fire in one hole!

YkDave

Ok, heres the scoop...

For about a year now the truck has had an intermittent miss, sometimes at idle it will drop a cylinder for a minute or 2, then clear up and run fine for a week or 2 and do it again.

Well, it was running perfect last night, then this morning i go out and fire it up and the problem is back, except a little worse. it was chugging pretty hard, clearly no fire in one hole and never cleared up.

Started cracking injector lines and found #5 was the culprit. Also noticed that the fuel wasnt spraying out of the line with as much pressure as the rest of them.

Anyways, started tearing things apart (was going to pull injectors) and while pulling the lines i found that the #5 DV was loose! It wasnt spun right out or nothing, just a bit loose (the line kept it from backing right out). No leaks or anything from it but im wondering if maybe that was the issue?

Though i cant really see that being the problem, it wasnt leaking and i doubt the little bit of a turn it was loose would have caused the spring pressure on the DV to loosen off enough to cause a problem.... or could it...?

Think im going to continue on to pulling that injector anyways...

I would think this would add too your problem. Define: loose?

Loose, as in when i went to take the line off, the whole thing would turn. after noticing that, i noticed that before cracking the line loose i could wiggle the whole thing around a little bit. Loose, not enough to be leaking or anything, but definitely not 85ft/lb, not even 1ft/lb!

Well, tried it after tightening the DV back up as much as i could (just some big pliers as i dont have a DV socket, didnt plan on having to touch them yet!) and still dead on #5, lots of fuel on that line now though.

So i pulled the lines back off and got the inj out. Other than having a 1/8" of chit caked onto the tip it looks good. The injectors havent been out in its life (427k on the clock) so i dont blame it for having a bunch of chit built up on the tip, especially with all the WMO ive been running.

Other than a bunch of crap on the tip, it was dry. Hard to say but im going to go out on a limb and say that their is no fuel getting through it....

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you probably need new tips. And probably a visit to the injection shop for old Mr. p-7100..

Swap the #5 injector with another one and retest. With 450k on the clock the injectors likely need a rebuild anyway.

oh guaranteed its past due for some TLC!

I was planning on new injectors this summer, but with my current lack of cashflow (thank you, economy...) thats not happening. Not to mention that the closest pump/inj shop is about 1500km from here, sending anything out is very expensive and time consuming.

I was thinking about swapping injectors around, but its piss pouring rain so i'd rather not spend more time under the hood than i need to.

Anyone have the body/tip torque spec handy, im thinking i may just pull this stick apart and inspect it while im waiting for the rain to die down.

well fudge....

Pulled the inj apart, all looked good, no chit jammed up in it and all the holes in the tip were clear. Threw it back together and then pulled #4 inj and swapped them around.

Fired it up and still missing on #5 :(

So, then i checked the blowby tube, nothing excessive there, no more than its ever been since i bought the truck (definately nothing indicating i have blown a hole through the piston!). checked valvetrain, all is good there...

Damnit, i dont want to have to pull the F'n head off this thing.... i cant afford that right now

if i read this right you dont have fuel coming to the end of the # 5 line correct? if you dont have the fuel coming out of the # 5 line like the rest of the lines then you culprit is in the pump or the line itself. if the fuel isnt getting to the injector then the injector isnt causing this problem. dont pull the head, swap DV's and see if one isnt seating right, if it is still #5 then it has to be a barrell or plunger in the pump. and you are in need of a new or rebuilt pump. just my .02

Looked like a dv :D

Didnt notice anything out of the ordinary, even took a quick peek at the barrel while it was all apart and didnt see anything out of the ordinary with the P+B

If i had a DV socket i think my next step would be swapping a pair of those around...

I have fuel at the #5 DV and injector

FAK!

God help me if i have to try and get my ford road legal...

Do a leakdown test on the motor, but I don't expect that is the issue, nor did I expect that swapping the injectors would really help. It was just an easy quick test to eliminate that from the problem.

I suspect a pump issue personally, especially since you initially did not see any fuel coming out of the line when you cracked it open.

Do you have access to another pump you could try for a reference at least? It would be extra work, but definitely a lot cheaper than sending a pump in for a rebuild/repair that didn't need to be fixed.

Where are you located YKDave?

I have an extra DV socket I could lend you, as long as you send it back to me.

if you swapped the injector with another injector and still had the same issue with #5 missing then it is a pump/DV issue. either that or you have excessive blow by some where and your not getting enough compression in the cylinder. try doing a compression test on the engine.

sometimes if you have blow by when the engine is warm or at higher rpms the miss will go away and will only show up at idle when the engine is cold. also check you valve clearances, compression could be leaking out the valves. back into the intake or out the exhaust.

Im in yellowknife, northwest territories :D

Middle of F'n nowhere!

The 12v's are few and far between up here, and used parts are nowhere to be found... No chance of being able to swap a pump in because their are non available.

As far as it being the pump, its hard to say. Their is fuel there, with decent pressure. I pulled the DV out again to check everything over once more. Checked movement of the plunger, its moves when the rack is unparked and advances a bit more with some throttle.

I would like to be able to swap a set of DVs around, but last fall i went to all of the mechanics around here (i know most of them) and not one of them have a DV socket (actually most of them dont have alot of specialty tools at all)

Valvetrain is all good (a little sloppy actually, about time to re-lash), no leaking valve guides and since i had the intake horn off this whole time i have not noticed any signs of an intake valve leaking

What do you think it would cost to ship a DV socket from Chicago?
I dont know how Canadians work the mail system up there.

it would cost more than what its worth and take about 3 weeks... Our mail is very slow getting up here... Ill have to pass on that one!

Ok
Just trying to help.

I'm sure if you posted in the classifieds or here, someone up that way has one.

well, heres some 'good' news...

Pulled the DV once more...

All looked good, threw it back in and voila NO fuel at all, i could take the line completely off and not a single drop was moving through it.

So, pulled the DV AGAIN! *#^%@

P+B are good, cranked it over with the DV out and the barrel is filling up with fuel so it appears to be working correctly (whether or not its making any pressure...)

OK, definitely a DV issue...

Threw it back in... Fired it up... missing on #5...

Tried to retighten the DV, it move a bit more, then it picked up on #5 and started hammering like a MOFO!

Loosened it up a bit, stopped knocking but wast firing at all, loosened it up a bit more and it picked up on #5 again and ran like a top!

So WTF... I guess that DV likes to be loose!

Back