lets see pics of traction bars

Are you guys leaving the fuel tank when you weld the front brackets to the frame?

How good of a welder are you?

Diesel is not really explosive...so a full tank is better than one that is partially full.

Use a heat shield and let the wire roll!

Wow, wow, wow! Some amazing fabrication being shown in this thread! A lot of various ideas as well! I've got my mind on some traction bars for my truck. Being a 2wd, it would hardly every see much more than pavement as I use it daily. If what info I've gathered from these 29 pages is correct, a single bar would suit my truck just fine, correct? I like Scott's (Big Bad Dodge) set up on his tow rig. I've heard nothing but good about Ballistic Fab, so long as they have what you need on-hand. I just started welding and am probably far from the skills the rest of you have. I'd like to think if I keep at it, I could trust my own welds to keep a set of bars on the truck LOL. I am a little curious about how my frame would hold up being that it's not boxed like the newer truck frames are. I recently found the sets made by CPP and, for the price, they don't look bad at all!

What do you guys think for my ol' heap? Would the same bars used on Scott's tow rig be too much? Honestly, I'd rather have them over-built than under-built. I'm thinking mounting the frame brackets just behind the cab would make them plenty long.

177920_475887759106181_415558098_o.jpg

Tubing is 2" OD w/ .220 thick walls, I used third links from TSC, front bracket is 1/2" plate and rear bracket is 3/8" and 1/2" plate. All hardware is grade 8. I also welded a nut on one end so I could use a wrench to lock the jam nut and not have to use a pipe wrench and scratch the paint.
2012-05-17_19-32-47_889.jpg

2012-05-17_19-33-00_52.jpg

2012-05-17_19-33-50_599.jpg

2012-05-17_19-33-27_644.jpg

2012-05-15_10-21-41_828.jpg

Last edited:
Gunna put a set of traction bars on my truck should i weld the brackets on the frame or bolt them

Traction bars

Attachments

• 2010-08-10 19.37.59.jpg
    2010-08-10 19.37.59.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2010-10-26 15.27.23.jpg
    2010-10-26 15.27.23.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
Not to sure how those are going to hold up,I would be worried that the all thread rod is going to bend with the torque of these motors.

They hold up fine. had them on for 3 years now. The all thread was cut much shorter when they were mounted and adjusted. It gave a better ride then the straight mount bars and allowed for no opinion angle deflection when the suspension compressed.

ok this may be an old thread but im trying to figure out how to mount my traction bars and how long to make them??? i have a 92 w250 CC LB. i suppose about the only way to mount them on the axle is to buy longer u bolts and make a bracket directly below them??? because i dont how a pair of mounts would clear the shock mounts?? and i was thinking about 6.5 foot long?? that would put them about where the frame begines to curve up?? somebody with a first gen help ha! :/

somebody with a first gen help ha! :/
I'll have to snap some pics of my buddies 1stGen and show you how he has them under there. I would also figure on boxing in that "c" channel frame area where the mounts will be.

Nice looking truck you have there.

These seem simple enough. I really need to learn how to weld.

Back