Let's see your pullin hitches!!!

I figured it was something like that. I was curious to hear what the thinking was on the design. From the pictures, it looks like he created a stress point with his braces just above where the pintle attaches. It looks like the plate would want to bend there, negating the advantage of tying to a hitch in the bed.

Ok, I get everything from the ground up to the pintle ring, but whats with the foot and a half tall plate and eye bolt facing the front of the truck?:what:

Its a "cheater" style hitch that I built back in '06 when you could still get away with them at brush pulls that don't care if you run a chain to the gooseneck ball in the bed for extra leverage. It was a big "brush pull" thing a few years ago, but even most smaller pulls you go to any more don't allow it. So as long as I don't hook up the eye (with a clevis, chain, & boom dog) to the gooseneck ball they don't complain about it pulling from the reese hitch. ;) :rockwoot:

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I have only been to a couple of pulls, so a lot of this is new to me.

I figured it was something like that. I was curious to hear what the thinking was on the design. From the pictures, it looks like he created a stress point with his braces just above where the pintle attaches. It looks like the plate would want to bend there, negating the advantage of tying to a hitch in the bed.

Yeah first time I pulled on it I bowed it...not horribly but noticeable. Took it back to my buddy who built it for me and he added the verticle 3/8 gusset from the 2x2 almost all the way up. Looking back I should have made the eye bolt just barely taller than the bed of the truck, but its the way it is and the few times I've pulled with it hooked to the goose after the gusset it's worked and held up. The whole thing was built buy a professional welder, I just told him how I wanted it done. The dang thing weighs like 70lbs:hehe: but it holds up great!:rockwoot:

ill be making mine next week with this
http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=5769&categoryID=219

i just need to figure out where im going to reinforce the hitch at.

Garrett

Here's one option for reinforcement.... (old pic)

jpspics016-2.jpg

jpspics017-2.jpg

Ahhh, I hadn't seen that yet either. Someone told me 3", then I thought that I had read 3 1/2" somewhere, but I guess neither was right.

Thanks for the info.

3&3/4"?

Geez, hope all the sanctioning bodies get together and decide on a fixed standard for a change...

3 3/4" or 3.75 is the size. This is not determined by the sanctioning body but by the Sled Operators Group and there insurance.

Any bigger and there is gonna be more danger from notched out rings. Theres gonna be too much material taken off and they'll become weaker. I don't thiink they make rings that big do they? This makes me mad since I just bought a 3" ring.

Geez, hope all the sanctioning bodies get together and decide on a fixed standard for a change...
Kinda my thoughts also.
This is why I was asking, seems to be a difference of opinion amongst some groups.
Any bigger and there is gonna be more danger from notched out rings. Theres gonna be too much material taken off and they'll become weaker.
This could be the case, but not really. You could always make your own hitch to get away from the removal of material on a "store bought hitch".
If you were to buy a "pre-made" hitch, like the pintle ring for example, then I think there could be a problem with to much material being removed as BigB stated.
BUT.......
On the other hand, you could get around that by making your own, which leads to other difficulties......1)having the resources to make your own 2)driving up the costs by having to purchase material to make your own or having to pay someone to build you a hitch.

Just my $.02

Any bigger and there is gonna be more danger from notched out rings. Theres gonna be too much material taken off and they'll become weaker. I don't thiink they make rings that big do they? This makes me mad since I just bought a 3" ring.

tell me about it, i just bought one last week.

Garrett

You guys that are making them should just go with 5" diameter rings. That way you'll be legal for the next time they decide to increase the size.:bang

NTPA has been 3.75" and most sleds are NTPA certified. The hook has a nub on the end for safety.

Back