Let's talk 68RE Build or 48 Swap

I'm only running a 75 hp street tune right now, but it feels great. I'm trying to get some mileage out of it for vacation in a few weeks.

I would recommend putting an Allison in it. If you do, you want to make sure it has the Allison programing. You can run the five or six speed and they are now bolt in. This company is doing multiple swaps of 68re's every month.

They will hold together with up to 1000 HP all day long.

I just switched mine from GM programing (Destroked) to Allison programing and it is sweet, works awesome, shift great and the truck is quick. Torque converter lock up in all gears accept first and reverse. Call Dave over at cummins allison conversons.

I am not affiliated with them, just had the Destroked kit that I could never get to work consistently and switched. Boy does this work, shift right now and shifts consistently.l

I would recommend putting an Allison in it. If you do, you want to make sure it has the Allison programing. You can run the five or six speed and they are now bolt in. This company is doing multiple swaps of 68re's every month.

They will hold together with up to 1000 HP all day long.

I just switched mine from GM programing (Destroked) to Allison programing and it is sweet, works awesome, shift great and the truck is quick. Torque converter lock up in all gears accept first and reverse. Call Dave over at cummins allison conversons.

I am not affiliated with them, just had the Destroked kit that I could never get to work consistently and switched. Boy does this work, shift right now and shifts consistently.l

I haven't heard of this. Info please? And do they do 5r110's as well that I havent heard of?

It will cost a lot less money than doing a fully built 48re.

I did mine quite awhile ago. It cost me about 2000 after the sale of the 241hd transfer case, and transmission and factory starter. I put in a 271 tc. Changed the rear drive shaft and swagpped in a sae #2 housing and starter, and a fully rebuilt transmission with new torque converter, and programming.

I will admit to adding another 800 in programming upgrade due to issues with the destroked programing not being consistent.

It's easier today, and you'll be using most of your factory componants

Here's a link. I'm not affiliated with them, just happy with how well it worked

http://www.cumminsallisonconversions.com

I have an 08 and I'm in the same situation except I'm shooting for 800hp. Are the controllers hard to tune?Does anyone run a manual vb in their swap?

Not to mention, stock allison internals are stout. 900hp trucks running around on stock input and output shafts no problem. At that power level you might rip the p2 planet snout off. You'd have a lot of fun before it happened though.

Right now, you have a choice on the shift schedule. 2400, 2800, or 3200. The early 12 valves us the 2400 and most of the others use the 2800. Dave the owner said that everyone who has used the 3200 switched to the 2800 which I run right now. This is programmed into the emulator box. He also has told me that he is working on a new harness and having his own complete computer made that with his own programming that will allow him to change all of the shift points and parameters himself. Right now he only uses Allison docs 1939 programming and is limited to what he can do. I just finished designing the OD lockout control box and I'm working on a work around for the dash light to work. Should have that done in the next week. Dave wants to set up his own Paddle shifter system with the Allison. I know GM has this as a feature, but it's not Allison programing that they run, It's GM programming. In fact it's the GM programming that has caused most of the transmission issues that they had especially with the higher horsepower trucks. In stock configuration with the Allison programming most of the issues disappear. He also told me that they are now installing his system on GM trucks to convert them to running Allison programming so that they don't have the issues.

You need to call them to get the info from the horses mouth so to speak. I'm not the expert here.

On a side note He is involved with some conversions with some country's army on some transport vehicles and on another countries custom built snow cats. They are putting Cummins engines with Allison transmission using his stand alone control systems. You can ask him about it. I think he said that they will be at just over a 100 kits a month going out the door. I guess you can say that this is not a small operation with how fast they are growing.

You are correct with how stout the Stock Allison's are. Their is not much you can do to beef them up with out major custom components. I should mention that When I did the conversion, I was told that these shift slowly, not so it shifts far faster then my 47re did and very firm, not harsh. It also down shifts through all of the gears when coming to a stop. Kinda cool.

Last edited:
Not to mention, stock allison internals are stout. 900hp trucks running around on stock input and output shafts no problem. At that power level you might rip the p2 planet snout off. You'd have a lot of fun before it happened though.

Have they come a long ways? I thought LBZ's started slipping at about 450rwhp?

Have they come a long ways? I thought LBZ's started slipping at about 450rwhp?

I have to agree....I think driven aggressively on the street 450 to 500 hp will wipe them out. But doesn't really matter. Isn't really a cheap way to put power to the ground regardless of 68rfe, 48re, or allison.

He is talking hard parts. Clutches and converter still won't hold 450hp for long.

He is talking hard parts. Clutches and converter still won't hold 450hp for long.

So what do they hold with some stacked clutches and the billet this or that (pistons and anchor and what not? Not sure what the inside of an Allison looks like)?

If it'll handle ~800rwhp with boost launches, that doesn't seem like a bad option for driveability over a 48re.

The stock hard parts in a Allison with hold plenty of power, people have gone mid 10 with them. I am very interested in the idea of swapping the 68re for a 6 speed Allison. I hard part I guess would be getting electronic parts to work together.

If the Allison is so good why do most of the fast duramax guys swap in the dura flight? I would go 48re swap.

What are you trying to do? If your going race for the 9-10 then yes the 47 or 48, but DD, racing some, and towing....... I have never driven a dodge with a built transmission so I cannot comments to which is better.

The reason they swap to a 48re is because an allison cannot shift as fast as one. An allison has to go to neutral in between each shift or else you tie up 2 gears at one and break things. 48re can shift as fast as you want. For average joe, an allison shifts as fast as youd ever need. But when you are doing some serious competition the potential 4/10ths (example only) of a second lost waiting for allison to shift through all gears is a big deal. There are plenty of 9 second dmax's still running allisons though.

As far as hard parts in an allison that can be swapped for billet...input shaft, output shaft, intermediate shaft (not needed though), c2 hub and p2 planet. C2 hub and the p2 planet are the first weak points once you start running alot of power through. 800whp is when I'd swap in a billet c2 hub and billet p2 planet. 900+ is when I'd do billet shafts. There are lots of 10 second trucks on stock shafts though.

Here are billet parts for allison. I put these in mine last december. Billet parts get expensive.

Billet Input/output

20141226_100534_zpsyxurvzsr.jpg

Billet p2 planet

20141227_103000_zpsdlkyxtn3.jpg

Billet C2 hub and Raybestos clutches

20141222_171704_zpsimifyxgl.jpg

Stock shafts are big...

20141219_010249_zps60qnb2xr.jpg

What are you trying to do? If your going race for the 9-10 then yes the 47 or 48, but DD, racing some, and towing....... I have never driven a dodge with a built transmission so I cannot comments to which is better.

Having a built 47re, I can say that I love it, but for daily driving, I would not mind a built Allison or 5R110. 'Smart' Solenoid transmissions are like Common Rails. For full race application, the old stuff might work better, but for a lot of power and making it still very driveable, it's much better.

Thanks for sharing the info! Now, what happened to that torque converter?!

Having a built 47re, I can say that I love it, but for daily driving, I would not mind a built Allison or 5R110. 'Smart' Solenoid transmissions are like Common Rails. For full race application, the old stuff might work better, but for a lot of power and making it still very driveable, it's much better.

Thanks for sharing the info! Now, what happened to that torque converter?!

Nothing is wrong with the converter. I had a rag over the inlet.

Back