Let's talk 68RE Build or 48 Swap

Is a nv5600 swap a terrible idea? Sorry for the derail, I'm just trying to put a plan together. I like the idea of some reliability for less than 8k but I don't want to hear gears crunching at 800hp either

It will cost a lot less money than doing a fully built 48re.

I did mine quite awhile ago. It cost me about 2000 after the sale of the 241hd transfer case, and transmission and factory starter. I put in a 271 tc. Changed the rear drive shaft and swagpped in a sae #2 housing and starter, and a fully rebuilt transmission with new torque converter, and programming.

I will admit to adding another 800 in programming upgrade due to issues with the destroked programing not being consistent.

It's easier today, and you'll be using most of your factory componants

Here's a link. I'm not affiliated with them, just happy with how well it worked

http://www.cumminsallisonconversions.com
Called Dave today and the price is the same as a built 48 swap.

My 68 is holding over 8xx hp and now I'm going for 901. 48 swap you loose cruise control

I've heard that last bit as well. Like you, I'm unaware what that fully means.
I would think that you need to adhere to tolerances a lot closer and be very picky on cleanliness, set everything in the tolerance zone while dry, then dis-assemble and pre-lube, then re-assemble everything as a wet assembly.

As I understand it, in a 68RFE, the term "Close enough for government work" shouldn't be used, as it's so inferior to to-day's technology and quality needs. :hehe:

Mark.

A suncoast what? Mega 68? Details... I cannot find a hp rating on their stuff except "over 500"

A respectably built 4R100 has my vote if you want to do it once and be done with it.

A respectably built 4R100 has my vote if you want to do it once and be done with it.

That is something I considered. A BTS 4R100 is hard to beat so I actually purchased one. Dockboy sold me his whole conversion setup to slap behind my 6.7 but the 48re from Goerend had other plans. I beat on the Goerend like it owed me money and it just laughed. The 4R100 sat in its crate neglected for almost 18 months so I sold it. The Goerend 48re and I are still happily together. Everyone loves happy endings right

Back