lets talk putting a diesel in a go fast boat..

just buy this boat. its not a go fast boat but a hell of a lot cooler.

http://www.lakecumberlandmarine.com/used/Delta/2008-Delta-154'-79057e0b404638bf006286e33df76ccb.htm

has twin 16v4000's in it with 3600hp each

Nice! This is more my style though: http://www.vikingyachts.com/models2/overview.asp?numIdVal=82C. MTU makes some excellent diesel engines. Cruises at 30 knots and has a top speed of mid 30s knots, pretty quick for an 82 footer. Thats with the base CAT C32A engines too.

Anyways, good luck with the project man! I think it is a really cool one! Even 50mph on the water is pretty fun stuff.

I would love a 31 Bertram with twin 370B's myself.

Do it!

The biggest thing I would worry about is keeping water out of the fuel but I am sure that has been addressed by the industry already.

twin cummins would probaly be way to heavy for a 30footer i dont think youll ever get that boat up on plane too much weight in the back of the boat if i was you id see how much both cummins engines are going to weigh and see how much weight your 30ft scarab hull can handle. also your probally gonna spend a **** ton of money on outdrives that will handle all that torque oh yea and make sure your hull can handle the torque as well

look into what PPE did in their duramax powered boat, IMO with my boat building backround is u need rpm for fast boats in which the duramax is the only one with the weight and rpm advantage. and yes ur idea about the arson surface drives is the only why to go, but the transom of the boat has to be completly changed to run them! I also have some of the best people in the buisness here localy if u have any questions

I don't think weigt is going to be a issue with the cummins over a marine bigblock, there almost identical weight. And with surface drives there's not really much load on the drives, but props are extremely expensive. In all honesty smething along the lines of a 280 baja sport is what I idealy want, bravo 3's will take decent power and its all set up. The more I look into this, I'm really steering towards a vp 24v motor, even tho I hate that pump, I think with the adjustability it would be ideal for power and economy. And I can buy complete wrecked trucks for extremely cheap because my friend has a dealer licence to dealer auctions.

A while back a well known race boat builder was testing Dmax's with really aggressive prop angles to lower rpm needs in some very fast boats. I have not been by there lately but I was thinking about stopping. All I can remember was the speed was not the issue with the aggressive props, it was low speed as in as soon as you engaged that damn boat was hauling ace. I am sure they fixed it but I don't know how yet.

A while back a well known race boat builder was testing Dmax's with really aggressive prop angles to lower rpm needs in some very fast boats. I have not been by there lately but I was thinking about stopping. All I can remember was the speed was not the issue with the aggressive props, it was low speed as in as soon as you engaged that damn boat was hauling ace. I am sure they fixed it but I don't know how yet.

That is something I've thought about too.

Oh hell, maybe I should just throw two in a 40' cruiser and sit back and enjoy life slow with ll the ammenaties like ac, a kitchen, and seperate bedrooms lmao.

Id like a electrically tuned motor for the tuneability, but a good ppump setup has the potential for higher rpm's, even if just for a short burst, it would be cool to have one turning 4500rpm's and a vp just won't do it.

I've also considered this lately. A 30ish scarab with a single cummins. From my limited research, you need approximately 30 percent less hp in a diesel to make it perform as well as a gas motor in the same hull. We also have to consider most of the numbers we post here are rwhp. True hp is much more. A single mild 500 rwhp cummins motor would be around 600hp on the actual motor. 30 percent more would give you approximately 780 hp in a boat gasser. Find a boat with triple 250 outboards, and the single cummins should in theory outperform it and live an economical long life. It would also weigh less than the triple 250's.

Here's a 30' scarab with twin 250's that does 65 mph.. If you do the math in diesel hp, that's just not much power to ask out of a single cummins. 100 mph is a stretch on a budget single engine build, but you could easily run fast by most standards with a mild diesel engine.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7gWW8J-Uj0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7gWW8J-Uj0[/ame]

Daves Custom Boats are works of art. I can't remember which model it was, but he had a twin viper v-10 powered boat available for a while.

DCB boats are unreal! Also Howards Custom Boats are very very nice. I partial to the Howard Bullet 28. I like the layout and cabin.

now thats sexy!
boat92_tn8.jpg

Back