Looking for "box tunes", or modified efi tunes.

Old Smoky

Before purchasing efilive, I am familiarizing myself with the program, and trying to take some of the learning curve out of tuning. I have downloaded the software, and the stock tune for my '06. I would like to compare my stock program to as many modified tunes as I can. Anybody got some that I could look at?

Also, I am running a triple dog and would like to make some tunes that are near the same power output. If I data log crazy larry will I be able to see the actual maximum values (pressure, duration, timing) to build a program that makes the same overall power, but with better driveability?

Thanks for the help.:Cheer:

Mike

I would really like to have everyone else do the work for me so I can copy it, can anyone help me?

Don't we have a library for people to post their tunes in on this site?

take that crazy larry and smooth it out...that alone should help decently if bully dog cummins and bully dog duramax are at all similar

I would really like to have everyone else do the work for me so I can copy it, can anyone help me?

Maybe I'm being miss understood, and I am absolutely not looking for any of this bif.

What I asked for was help LEARNING. I am looking for HELP so that I can build MY OWN tune for MYSELF that I will customize for MY TRUCK.

Currently there are not modified tunes in the cummins efi library. I would very much appreciate constructive input. Please withhold comments which are not helpful.

Thank you.

Im no genius but why do you need modified tunes?? seems to me that you want to just copy a box tuner program or someone elses... if you dont know what the parameters do then what use would a box tuner or anyone elses tune be to help you?? Im not bashing just your initial post gives off the vibe that you just want to look at everyone elses and build your off it.. just take your stock one and start playing with it.. add timing and smooth it out.. same with main duration, make sure you get into all your parameters first.. if you plan to run 4000rpm then modify then all to 4000. start from there then log them...

Im no genius but why do you need modified tunes?? seems to me that you want to just copy a box tuner program or someone elses... if you dont know what the parameters do then what use would a box tuner or anyone elses tune be to help you?? Im not bashing just your initial post gives off the vibe that you just want to look at everyone elses and build your off it.. just take your stock one and start playing with it.. add timing and smooth it out.. same with main duration, make sure you get into all your parameters first.. if you plan to run 4000rpm then modify then all to 4000. start from there then log them...

I do have to agree with the OP on this,...having something to look at and make comparisons does help.

I made a very similar thread to this a while back and was met with the same reaction.

I don't know why I have to say it again, but NO - I DO NOT WANT TO COPY SOMEONE ELSE'S WORK.

I learn by SEEING and doing. This may not be the best comparison, but think about it like reloading. If you have never reloaded a .357mag shell before and try doing it by the little information that you know, and maybe something that you've read, it would be doable, but a little difficult and would have a large learning curve. Now, if someone were to show you how to do it, and had a loaded shell to look at, the process would be much easier, faster, and have better results. After seeing it, I can choose what bullet style and weight I want to use, and what powder style and quantity I need for my gun, and what I'm shooting at.

I can understand and appreciate the fact that people spend a lot of time and energy developing tunes and may not want to share them. That is fine. If you don't want to help, then don't. If someone would like to help, and has a tune that they wouldn't mind sharing with me so that I can have a better understanding of tuning with the efilive program then it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't even have the ability to save a tune, or program a truck. I am just trying to learn. There is no comprehensive "efilive common-rail diesel tuning manual," or class that I know of. I do have the ability to figure it out, but know the advantages of having an education of the program and process before just jumping into it.

If I data log crazy larry will I be able to see the actual maximum values (pressure, duration, timing) to build a program that makes the same overall power, but with better driveability?

Thanks for the help.:Cheer:

Mike

If you data log it, won't that be "copying??"

Chris

I don't know why I have to say it again, but NO - I DO NOT WANT TO COPY SOMEONE ELSE'S WORK.

I learn by SEEING and doing. This may not be the best comparison, but think about it like reloading. If you have never reloaded a .357mag shell before and try doing it by the little information that you know, and maybe something that you've read, it would be doable, but a little difficult and would have a large learning curve. Now, if someone were to show you how to do it, and had a loaded shell to look at, the process would be much easier, faster, and have better results. After seeing it, I can choose what bullet style and weight I want to use, and what powder style and quantity I need for my gun, and what I'm shooting at.

I can understand and appreciate the fact that people spend a lot of time and energy developing tunes and may not want to share them. That is fine. If you don't want to help, then don't. If someone would like to help, and has a tune that they wouldn't mind sharing with me so that I can have a better understanding of tuning with the efilive program then it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't even have the ability to save a tune, or program a truck. I am just trying to learn. There is no comprehensive "efilive common-rail diesel tuning manual," or class that I know of. I do have the ability to figure it out, but know the advantages of having an education of the program and process before just jumping into it.

That first paragraph makes no sense... ok I will give you a gun already loaded with a .357 mag shell.....does that help you learn how to reload one??? hell no, thats what your asking us to give you our tunes so you can see them then modify yours like ours.. also known as copy and paste!

also I just told you how to start out... start like that... I guess I dont understand why you would want another map already modified to play with what are you going to modify that that person hasnt already...:poke:

I'm personally planning on downloading a stock tune from my friends 06, tinkering with it from what I've learned to play with on a p7100, only electronically, and seeing how I do. I guess I could data log his crazy larry like you want to, but I don't want to build from someone else's program, I want to learn for myself what works and what doesn't.

Chris

I'm personally planning on downloading a stock tune from my friends 06, tinkering with it from what I've learned to play with on a p7100, only electronically, and seeing how I do. I guess I could data log his crazy larry like you want to, but I don't want to build from someone else's program, I want to learn for myself what works and what doesn't.

Chris

This is what I am doing as well with a customers truck. I would much rather learn what is going on and why. And then have the pride of it being my hard work. I've heard lately of alot of people copying smarty tunes and just hitting the blend button on em. I personally think that is wrong to copy there work then tell people "you" tuned it with EFI live. I know I would be pissed if some one did that to my work, especially with how long it takes to build a tune.

But anyways to the op just pull your stock tune and start making very small changes. I wouldn't change an individual map more than 10-15% at a time till you figure it out. And always log what you did to verify your change. Also I've found it quite useful to make a note of what you changed and what occured with the change, in the user note section of each map.

Maybe I'm being miss understood....Currently there are not modified tunes in the cummins efi library. I would very much appreciate constructive input. Please withhold comments which are not helpful.

Thank you.

You are not being misunderstood, you're the one that's misunderstanding what tuning is all about. I personally have over 50 hour into a somewhat decent cummins tune. You ask myself and everyone else here to post tunes to copy? Yeah right! :kick: If you want basic tunes you should buy a V2 from a vendor that does cummins tuning and maybe if you talk to them nicely they'll give you a basic tune...

Do yourself a favor and learn the right way, once you've learned how to tune poorly you must unlearn it to learn the proper way. You should first consider taking classes on the basics. Also take a class for duramax tuning being it's available...it'll benifit you greatly! Sign up here! > http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116822

...I've learned to play with on a p7100, only electronically, and seeing how I do...I don't want to build from someone else's program...

Chris

Chris, you'll do ok. Whatever you do, do not re-engineer someone else's tune. Start from scratch so you know what effect what and how.

Last edited:
Im not sure why you guys are being so harsh, over on Diesel Place there are tons of tunes in the library (econ-mild-hot-smoke tunes) that everyone shares like its a beer or two.

Yes, I do think its wrong to copy a tune into EFI and just smooth the tables and call it good, but looking at a lightly modded tune will give the user an idea of where to start / what to change / how much to change it. Just because YOU started from scratch doesnt mean everyone else can, and further down the road you'll look at your old tunes and say "well that one was chit compared to the one I'm running now, that guy can have it".

I was starting to think the diesel community was helping each other out...

$.02

Last edited:
My .02 is buy EFI from a vendor on this site. You should receive a good starter tune with most of the bumps worked out for you.

Then start paying with one table at a time and you will start to see results, good and bad.

If you have problems after using and testing, then ask for help. People won't take you seriously until you have purchased EFI and spent some hours with it.

There are many of us that will help, but you also have to make a decent effort as not many are going to hand out good results when it's not deserving.

Alright, thanks to those who tried to help. I still don't think you guys get it, but I'm done trying.

Anyway, I'll just figure it out for myself like I do with most things. No need to post any more replies. This was a :badidea:.

Before purchasing efilive, I am familiarizing myself with the program, and trying to take some of the learning curve out of tuning. I have downloaded the software, and the stock tune for my '06. I would like to compare my stock program to as many modified tunes as I can. Anybody got some that I could look at?

after the first comma and after the second comma, this will help u understand why we are trying to say you need to learn it. Im done arguing with you.. knobody will give you a map after they just spent 10 hrs or more making it and spent 100.00 in fuel.. ill send you a map but imma charge you...lol

Alright, thanks to those who tried to help. I still don't think you guys get it, but I'm done trying.

Anyway, I'll just figure it out for myself like I do with most things. No need to post any more replies. This was a :badidea:.

You're learning already:cheer:

Chris

Back