Looking for "box tunes", or modified efi tunes.

I can see both sides of this. To the OP, if someone does just give you some of there hard work for you to look at and "copy", its either not gonna be worth a crap, or they are foolish for just giving it away.

But to those of you being self righteous about writing your own tunes and figuring this all out for yourself, did any of you look at the values in your stock tune that was developed by Cummins after thousands of hours of work? Or did you guys zero out all the tables and start from scratch......?

Properly written tunes take a very long time to create and iron out all the bugs.
But there is not very many tuners (in the Duramax world at least) that can say they have never seen other peoples tunes. Now whether or not they use those tables or maps, that knowledge is in there head and is almost certainly going to influence what goes into there own tunes.

If your unsure about doing it yourself, take Rob's advice and buy from someone reputable that has taken the time to figure it out for you.$.02

i can see both sides of this. To the op, if someone does just give you some of there hard work for you to look at and "copy", its either not gonna be worth a crap, or they are foolish for just giving it away.

But to those of you being self righteous about writing your own tunes and figuring this all out for yourself, did any of you look at the values in your stock tune that was developed by cummins after thousands of hours of work? Or did you guys zero out all the tables and start from scratch......?

Properly written tunes take a very long time to create and iron out all the bugs.
But there is not very many tuners (in the duramax world at least) that can say they have never seen other peoples tunes. Now whether or not they use those tables or maps, that knowledge is in there head and is almost certainly going to influence what goes into there own tunes.

If your unsure about doing it yourself, take rob's advice and buy from someone reputable that has taken the time to figure it out for you.$.02

i paid 20,000 dollars for my stock tune.. Any other ?'s

Like you, I paid $50,000 for mine....everyone has a stock tune they got with the truck....not everyone has a good "modified" tune, and those take a lot of time to develop.

This can go both ways, some people will always disagree on this topic!
Chris

So if you buy a camshaft from someone does that give you the right to put it on a cam doctor and copy what someone else has developed? Don't think so....... You have the right to use or to sell that cam to someone else. That's it.

You paid 20,000 dollars for your truck. You did not pay 20,000 dollars for the blueprints and exact design specifications of everything on your truck. If you want to justify it somehow, go ahead, but your no different then the OP.

Any ?'s

So if you buy a camshaft from someone does that give you the right to put it on a cam doctor and copy what someone else has developed? Don't think so....... You have the right to use or to sell that cam to someone else. That's it.

You paid 20,000 dollars for your truck. You did not pay 20,000 dollars for the blueprints and exact design specifications of everything on your truck. If you want to justify it somehow, go ahead, but your no different then the OP.

Any ?'s

I didnt copy my stock tune.. wtf you talking about??? I modified it.. This cat wants modified tunes with no use?? I forgot that I could look at a tune and say oh thats why his truck runs so good.. his numbers are bigger or smaller! If you dont know how to use the system whats the good of having our tunes?? which brings me to believe that he wants them to use. I will send you my tune.. please tell me what you learn from it. I gaurentee nothing, how can you learn when you dont know what your looking at...

Any ?'s

You are like the second person I've seen (on this forum) to see it from that point of view.

w00t!.

However, there is such a thing as whiteroom reverse engineering. :) Kinda what's going on with EFI live.

The topic is so Grey, it's unreal how grey it is. LOL

I didnt copy my stock tune.. wtf you talking about??? I modified it.. This cat wants modified tunes with no use?? I forgot that I could look at a tune and say oh thats why his truck runs so good.. his numbers are bigger or smaller! If you dont know how to use the system whats the good of having our tunes?? which brings me to believe that he wants them to use. I will send you my tune.. please tell me what you learn from it. I gaurentee nothing, how can you learn when you dont know what your looking at...

You read your stock tune from your ECM, saved it, and then made changes to it. Which means you used most of what Cummins already had in there. That's what the OP poster wants. Only he wants to start out with one that is modified. I personally would never send someone a tune that I worked hard to create. But you guy's are chastising him like he's some sort of criminal for asking. If you don't want to show him your work then don't. Its really pretty simple.

You read your stock tune from your ECM, saved it, and then made changes to it. Which means you used most of what Cummins already had in there. That's what the OP poster wants. Only he wants to start out with one that is modified. I personally would never send someone a tune that I worked hard to create. But you guy's are chastising him like he's some sort of criminal for asking. If you don't want to show him your work then don't. Its really pretty simple.

SO HE WANTS TO START OUT WITH ONE ALREADY MODIFIED?? Then your on our side because hes saying he wont do that.. he just wants to SEE what is changed. Im not arguing anymore...lol I spoke my point:Cheer:

LOL

You dont think Cummins tears down other engines to take a look and put them to the test, as well as other engine manufacturers? This is america, the land of NO original ideas...

WOW!

bif

See what i miss in a couple of days time? :charger:

I can kinda understand why the guy was asking, but like everyone pretty much told him i think it's a bad idea.. (what if some of the boxes are WRONG for your setup, etc. etc...)... Best way is to learn on your truck a tiny bit at a time....

My guess is those of us on here tuning and being supporting vendors pretty much all started off the same way.... 'tinkering'. Eventually things start to make sense and comparing logs to tune files and starting to connect the dots (so to speak) really makes it alot of fun.

My advice is to LOG alot, and change a little bit at a time. The data logging is a wonderful tool (best one you'll get!!) if you seriously want to learn YOUR truck and what it likes....

some of you need to get off your high horse and give your heads a shake....you really think that the first thing the beta testers DIDNT do(including the EFI live vendors etc.) was to scan every bullydog, smarty, etc. tune they had access to, you're crazy. this also goes way back to the first people tinkering with the duramax tunes

some of you need to get off your high horse and give your heads a shake....you really think that the first thing the beta testers DIDNT do(including the EFI live vendors etc.) was to scan every bullydog, smarty, etc. tune they had access to, you're crazy. this also goes way back to the first people tinkering with the duramax tunes

Exactly!!!:Cheer:

I'm sure they did when designing the software! More than likely it was just to get an idea whether the right direction was being taken with table configurations.

Last edited:
Here is why you have to careful comparing a modded tune to a stock file to learn the tuning ropes. This is a rail pressure table from a file that was sent to me, I don't know who made it or if was a box tune or what and do not want to know. All I know is that if you follow this tuning philosophy and there were not limiters and pump limitations to keep the truck from trying to make the 36,259psi of rail pressure that is commanded in this table you would blow a lot of chit up quickly.

[ame="http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l581/anarchydiesel/?action=view&current=railpressure.jpg"]railpressure.jpg picture by anarchydiesel - Photobucket[/ame]

Wow! Talk about rail pressure hang once the throttle is released!

Last edited:

I can honestly say I did not look at any boxed tuners to build my cummins tunes. I have not owned an aftermarket tuner for a cummins or ever even had one in my hands. Some EFI resellars are using aftermarket tuning as their base tunes, but I am not.

Over the years people have sent me Dmax (and now Cummins) box tunes, which long ago I looked at, but never used. I have my own rigs to test with. I've not seen anything I'd want to use anyway.

Last edited:

Is there something wrong with having something to go by? Taking a stock tune and a smarty tune (the only thing I've had access to) and contrasting the two has been the fastest learning I've done with EFI.

Back