Lost 5th gear on NV4500

TMac5500

Well I think it happened to me

I was driving on the interstate and hit a bump going across an overpass and as soon as that happened it was like it jumped into neutral so I took it out of 5th and put it back in but nothing.

1-4 still works fine, so does this sound like the common 5th gear problem with the NV4500

the nut fell of the end of the shaft. pull the tail housing off and and fix it.

Make sure you get the upgraded nut and locking tab or you may maybe doing it again in 8-12 months .... learded that one the hardway

Get it tight!! The torque specs are north of 300. I used a 5' long torque wrench and made my own 1" drive socket to fit over the shaft, it took 2 people to get it to "click".

Not that I'm proud of it, but I have tack welded a few nuts on for guys who begged me to do it. :D After the 3rd or 4th time it gets annoying. Food for thought. LOL

Trucks that aren't pushing too much power will usually have the 5th gear nut back off or the snap ring on the countershaft holding the 5th gear syncrho may have come off. The inner splines on the syncrho being ripped off only happens from a lot of abuse or higher power trucks.

I would never recommend welding the nut, welding will add hardness to the shaft that that has already been hardened.

exact same thing happened to me, cruising, hit a bump, no 5th.

snap ring fell off the CS and the splines of the clutch gear hub stripped out.

Well finally had time to take it apart last night and found that the gear was also warn out which is to be expected this truck has 411,000+ miles on it, we thought about welding the nut on there but decided to buy a new gear and the 5th gear retainer nut, which is suppose to be the permanent fix. I've read about it an most people seem to be happy with it, wat is y'all's impression of this fix, I'd rather do this than weld it on!

upgrade the main shaft. It takes all the load off the Nut.
IMG_20100917_122917.jpg

IMG_20100917_134448.jpg

Yea I eventually plan on upgrading the shaft/shafts but for right now I'm just wanting it to hold for sure for about another year, I'm almost done with school and hopefully be getting a job and buying a newer truck then this one will be parked and begin its new life as a pulling truck!

Yup same thing happened to my brothers 98 12v.

We put a 4ft pipe on the breaker bar, jumped on it then welded the nut. No problems and hes pretty abusive, cant findem grindem :p

Back