Low RPM lope?

K204DR

I'm the Driver
So I have a 94 dodge engine, with a 97 215 pump on it, smokem 5x14's, 4k gov springs in it. it starts and idles fine, but when you engage the clutch it has a bad lope, which is annoying. if you're easing into it like driving in town, it will get so bad you gotta throttle out of it, or push in the clutch or you'll get hiccups!
gov springs are all even. took them out this evening and measured to make sure one wasn't longer than the other springs too.
It was doing this a tiny bit before the injectors, but they made it bad enough that its annoying to drive. i've had them in about 10K now.
not sure what else to do other than send the pump off for a balance, but thats not really in the budget right now. any thoughts?

Have you tried tightening the gov springs up a little more?

If I tighten them it will just die when you let out the clutch unless you add in throttle. Makes it difficult to drive in a diff way.

Mine won't idle once in gear either(auto). I have 4k gsk springs and tried tightening two clicks. Didn't help. I'm gonna try two more clicks. I have a 175HP pump, 5x18s, 7mm DVs.

They are Pac brake springs. I wonder if there are better springs available?

In for a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine are pacbrake as well. hmmmm. anyone else running them and having issues? my last pump had pdr in it, it ran smooth.

I sent my 215 off because I couldn't get the pacbrake spring to work the way I wanted.

Are the PDR springs actually different than pacbrake?? I would consider swapping them.

I've set up a bunch of trucks with 4k's (DDPs, Pacbrake, etc) all idled and pulled smooth except the two trucks that had Pacbrake springs in them. They would idle fine but would sort of stutter/lope just off idle. I would try swapping springs out to a better set

Well I guess I better order some pdr ones then. whats the best place to get them?

I might try this as well. I already hit 4k RPM in gear.

Maybe I should just spring for 5ks??

Last edited:
If I tighten them it will just die when you let out the clutch unless you add in throttle. Makes it difficult to drive in a diff way.

Loosen them off and then readjust the idle.

Mine won't idle once in gear either(auto). I have 4k gsk springs and tried tightening two clicks. Didn't help. I'm gonna try two more clicks. I have a 175HP pump, 5x18s, 7mm DVs.

They are Pac brake springs. I wonder if there are better springs available?

In for a solution.

i had the pacbrakes in a 180 hp 98 auto that would idle fine, even set it a little high (850-900 rpm) in neutral or park but once slid into gear it would die. I pulled the shims out from under the idle spring and worked like it was supposed to.

Leave all the shims in and machine .020" off the bottom of the pac-brake lower spring seat. I fix every set of these that show up at the shop.

thanks for info seth
i had to loosen my pakbrake springs to where it would not die at low idle in gear...

thanks Seth, I remember reading somewhere that you had machined off some, but I thought it was 5k ones.
I can't loosen these anymore as they are only 1 or 2 clicks now.
No need for 5k and at twice the price not worth it for me.
I will try to machine them in the next few days.

Back