Low RPM lope?

I have the same issues with my 180 pump and PAC brake 4gsk. My idle is around 900rpm I have to start out in 1st gear and very very easily release my clutch. It's annoying in town. I'm swapping to 5gsk in the spring and going to run them loose.

Well I don't have a way to machine the lower seat unless I use a belt sander lol.

Hmm so either 5k gsk or send my springs to Seth maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm assuming is the part of the seat that the biggest spring sits on? I don't mean the idle spring that the seats slide through. If someone could clarify it for me I can put my seats on a lathe and do them myself.

he said the back side of the seat
i may try with sander....measure before and measure after

is there a 4 gsk kit out there that does not have this inherent problem?

I believe mine are some from II and not one problem from them. Idle and run smooth.

I would use a surface grinder. I wouldn't want to run my tool holder that close to the chuck.

I have had nothing but awesome luck setting the pac brake sets first try. Guess I have gotten lucky. I use calipers every time just for safe measure but the click method of setting them has gotten them close every time. Left the idle shims and removed the others per the instructions.

I'm assuming is the part of the seat that the biggest spring sits on? I don't mean the idle spring that the seats slide through. If someone could clarify it for me I can put my seats on a lathe and do them myself.

Yes the small seat that goes down in the middle of the idle spring. you need to machine the back side, that sits in the gov, not the front side where the spring sets.

Perfect. I'll pull them out tomorrow and machine them at work Saturday.
Thank you for clarifying!

I have had nothing but awesome luck setting the pac brake sets first try. Guess I have gotten lucky. I use calipers every time just for safe measure but the click method of setting them has gotten them close every time. Left the idle shims and removed the others per the instructions.

i did the same thing and when it fired up it idled exactly where it did with stock springs

thing is once i dropped it in gear it would briefly lope then shut off and pedal was required to start the truck

since i loosened them a few clicks and bumped idle to compensate its much better starts without pedal and only lopes a bit when dropped into gear cold. I cannot loosen them anymore.

Good thread, I have always wrote it off as being my .093 injection lines. I will have to check on this one. Mine is bad enough it rocks the whole truck.

Good thread, I have always wrote it off as being my .093 injection lines. I will have to check on this one. Mine is bad enough it rocks the whole truck.
Talk to Scott. He had a bad idle problem like that too years ago, but I can't remember what it was. I wanna say injectors.

My engine is a 95 160 pump, when cold it idles really low. Stalls if you tap throttle. I adjusted the idle up for when it's warm and that helped, but cold it still is temperamental and fairly slow. Is that my gov springs or is that normal 12 valve? I don't believe there's a lope at all though

Its normal for a 12v to have a lower idle when cold. If you loosen the gov springs a click or two and reset the idle, it'll idle a bit higher when cold and shouldn't need any throttle input to start or keep running.

Leave all the shims in and machine .020" off the bottom of the pac-brake lower spring seat. I fix every set of these that show up at the shop.

My pac brake 4k gsk runs much better at idle!

I rednecked it and took .025" off my spring seats with a flap disc, file and sandpaper , holds a good strong idle now with 3 hard clicks vs 1 hard click and no more loping with blip of throttle in gear warmed up. Idle set at 7-750 in gear

Does this do the same as shimming the idle spring? I can't figure out why this works to strengthen ththe idle but loosening the gov springs strengthens the idle?

Does this do the same as shimming the idle spring? I can't figure out why this works to strengthen ththe idle but loosening the gov springs strengthens the idle?

Shimming the idle spring won't have quite the same effect. Those lower seats don't allow the weights to open far enough (to idle position) and that's where the issue comes from. By machining them you allow the weights to function like they do in stock form, but don't lose any top end performance of the 4k kit.

Back