Made 448/842 on spray today

JQmile

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Finally starting to get some good numbers even if it is with nitrous. Non-lockup 727, stock timing, head bolts, gasket etc. Those 6x16's plus nitrous really do the trick. Made 301 on fuel. I guess it's just not enough air with the compressor upgrade. Nitrous was with 900psi bottle pressure and a -3 line with a .090 jet.

Play around with your timing any?

301 sounds kinda lame for what you've done. Nitrous number seems right.

Play around with your timing any?

301 sounds kinda lame for what you've done.

That's what I was thinking. Working on the fuel only numbers next now that I know the head gasket/trans will hold 400+. Keep in mind also that the converter is slipping about 18% at peak power according to what I've seen so far. If it was a manual trans truck the number should be a bit higher.

Crank the timing to 21* or so and see what that does for your fuel numbers. I run an HX35W with very similar injectors, my own pin, maxed fuel and recently did 39x on fuel. Thats with the timing at 23*

Good numbers Jason, thats right around where we were with our VE truck before we decided... screw it and ran with the p-pump instead. We were maxing out a NOS purge solinoid which supp. flowed .073, the math showed around 440-450 on the spray. The little rotor pump felt pretty good on the bottom but really lacks the topend fueling. I agree try more timing next and work on the fuel only numbers, the power will be there on the spray.... Good job, Oh and thats going to drop you several tenths in the 1/8th
Ryan

It better help my 1/8th mile time! I'm going to put on real slicks and get the gear vendors installed before I hit the track again though. If I can hit a decent 60 ft, I think the truck will be in the 12s in the quarter.

No dought it will help but how much is the question, Id look for around 5-6 tenths if your not traction limited. It pulled our 1/8th times down from around 8.8/8.9 to 8.3's in Bruces truck which weighs ~ 4600 what does your 1st gen weigh, Id guess close to the same... and ya he was in the high 12's I believe with that tune and the little rotory pump w/ .073 jet. Have you decided to also stry from the unreliable 14mm stuff, Bruce still has that stuff I think If you wanted to try it out? Ryan

I have a 14mm pump with a 4mm camplate I am going to try, I think small injectors and pump speeds is what kills those pumps, so I am going to run a good fuel system and limit my engine speed to about 3,000rpm.

edit: Oh and truck weighs 5,000 with fuel and me in it. Not trying to set the world on fire, but if I can make 400-500 on fuel and 700 on spray, I'll be plenty happy.

I have a 14mm pump with a 4mm camplate I am going to try, I think small injectors and pump speeds is what kills those pumps, so I am going to run a good fuel system and limit my engine speed to about 3,000rpm.

edit: Oh and truck weighs 5,000 with fuel and me in it. Not trying to set the world on fire, but if I can make 400-500 on fuel and 700 on spray, I'll be plenty happy.

I hear ya and a it will be cool to see another quick VE truck, so many including myself dable with it and hit the brick wall early and jump ship to the all mighty p pump. Mybe your right about the r's, we had the 4200 spring in it and it made all the diff. in our fueling but we did spin her tight. We never did mess with the sub par mech fuel pump with the VE, we went right to a elect. to mantain cool high volume fuel at a constant 15psi it worked well I think. We kept breaking the dogs off the camplates so we fiqured heck if were breaking the 12mm stuff no since in even breaking the new 14mm crap out of the packaging:hehe:, he still has a new in the box 14mm head, rotor and 4mm camplate, let me know if you know anyone that may ever need it.....
I think 500-550 on the spray is going to be very achievable and will be a blast in that truck with a spool and slicks, good luck. Ryan

I hear ya and a it will be cool to see another quick VE truck, so many including myself dable with it and hit the brick wall early and jump ship to the all mighty p pump. Mybe your right about the r's, we had the 4200 spring in it and it made all the diff. in our fueling but we did spin her tight. We never did mess with the sub par mech fuel pump with the VE, we went right to a elect. to mantain cool high volume fuel at a constant 15psi it worked well I think. We kept breaking the dogs off the camplates so we fiqured heck if were breaking the 12mm stuff no since in even breaking the new 14mm crap out of the packaging:hehe:, he still has a new in the box 14mm head, rotor and 4mm camplate, let me know if you know anyone that may ever need it.....
I think 500-550 on the spray is going to be very achievable and will be a blast in that truck with a spool and slicks, good luck. Ryan

Yeah, those pumps spin at 3x engine speed if I remember my KTA quotations right, so every rpm more you spin the engine, you're magnifying it in the pump. I also figured out that I have about 22% converter slip at full power. If you want to try and sell your pump head you might see if there are any buyers over at 1stgen.org.

The pump itself spins at camshaft speed, but every time it spins it reciprocates the rotor six times. The rotor reciprocates 150 times a second at 3000 RPM.

I'm surprised you made it this far without OD and a lockup on the trans =P

Great job, but you're kind of making this like rooting for the special olympics :kick:

Back