making transmisson lines

bangbang92

Has anyone made there own trans lines using steel braided line with AN fittings? I'm bypassing the heat exchanger and adding two coolers under the bed and don't want to have lines tied in together with tee fittings and all that so I'm considering making my own from scratch to keep it simple and cleaner.:thankyou2:

I am putting together a list of fittings myself. Have been doing some research on it and lots of people have posted the parts needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ive been researching it also for some time now. I've also seen where turbo car guys have used the nylon braided hose and have it melt at the fittings and burst on the track. I just want to make sure that its a safe thing to do over hard line, with stainless steel braided hose of course

also, when bypassing the heat exchanger and removing it. can I plug the water line that goes into the block above the ecm and just run the heater core hose directly to the bottom front right of the motor? I don't see why the hose that wraps around to the driver side is needed if you don't have the heat exchanger anymore.

also, when bypassing the heat exchanger and removing it. can I plug the water line that goes into the block above the ecm and just run the heater core hose directly to the bottom front right of the motor? I don't see why the hose that wraps around to the driver side is needed if you don't have the heat exchanger anymore.

Yes. The fleece coolant bypass kits come with the correct plug for that port, but I'm sure you can find a plug many places. Cummins might even have the plug for it.

I have made the lines for our own coolers. It's really basic. Just like making any other an line

I have the fleece kit and heat exchanger already removed

I removed the heat exchanger when installing the fleece bypass kit. I did mine while my trans was out, it was much easier that way. I

I used push lock hose to replace my trans lines when I deleted the heat exchanger. Works just fine

Has anyone made there own trans lines using steel braided line with AN fittings? I'm bypassing the heat exchanger and adding two coolers under the bed and don't want to have lines tied in together with tee fittings and all that so I'm considering making my own from scratch to keep it simple and cleaner.:thankyou2:

I used Hydraulic hose, no issues at all. It was all premade standard length.

What about the drain back valve? I guess it just gets removed. Any body have any issues without it?

easy but I wouldn't use pushlock! No issues with the drain back valve except sometimes takes a few seconds to prime the line if it bleeds back. Hope your never towing that heat exchanger really does an awesome job! Even with two coolers I had heat issues when towing. I put mine back on! There are fittings that go from the 1/2 steel line to a 8AN fitting. Clean easy just flip the back tranny line towards the rear cut where you want and your done!

I have made my own trans cooler lines from SS braided. I used Summit Racing brand lines and fittings. The ports at the trans are 1/4 NPT. I am using -8AN line.

I redid all mine in -8 an fittings and braided line , deleated the heat exchanger and added a 6.0 ford trans cooler in place of the factory one on the rad and all is good! I took the fitting out of the block and plugged it and since I got twins I redid the steel lines on pass side so theres no hose around the back of the block.

awesome I appreciate all the input. I don't tow with the truck, atleast not anything big enough that you can tell is back there.:st: I used jegs braided line and fittings when I made my bypass so I will proley go that route again. when you all redid the lines did you run them down the side of the block like the hard lines are or did u go down the frame rail? I think it will be cleaner down the frame rail with hose holders, my fuel system is all pushlock and secure to the frame with holders, im extremely picky lol

Last edited:
Had all mine down on the 06. -8 an. Two derales in the bed. Factory cooler up front. No heat exchanger.

I did all mine with Earl's AN Barb Fittings, and Auroquip hose. Haven't had a single problem since I finished it up, and I've gotten that fluid decently hot a couple times, and towed pretty heavy across states a couple times as well (not that it matters much since the TC was locked most of it).

I rebuilt all mine lines, but I got all my fittings from anfittingsdirect.com. I used all -8AN but I still utilized the stock heat exchanger and I put a flex-a-lite 45321 oil cooler in place of the stock cooler.

Last edited:
From my experience the only time the heat exchanger works to cool trans fluid would be in traffic on a very hot day. I def noticed a difference in traffic after it was removed. My stock intercooler with heat exchanger removed kept my truck at 160 while on the highway pulling 13000lbs I think that is cool enough. I have a BD aux cooler I just haven't gotten around to putting in yet that will be mounted towards the fuel tank. That should solve any problems with overheating in traffic

I shouldn't have said overheating either cause the highest I ever saw in traffic without the exchanger was 223

Back