minimum bearing clearances

One thousandth. It is a lot different that one ten thousandth but in reality who is to say the starrett mics weren't off, they're older. Unless you get them calibrated frequently I would venture to say most are off a smidge. For the price their nice pieces.

That's why a proper mic set comes with standards. The mic could be .050" out, but you set it to the standard and can compensate for it. Check the mic against the smallest standard and the biggest standard that the mic will accept. As long as the thimble reads the same amount off, the mic is reading properly and you can adjust the mic to the proper zero point. I have yet to have a mic that read 'inaccurately', where .001" on the thimble wasn't actually .001" unless its been dropped and it messed up the threads inside. And you'll feel that using it.

Also need to keep in mind about temperature variation. If they are hotter or cooler than the environment you're working in, they're gonna be out until they normalize. One of the power plants I work in has an air conditioned tool crib, and the turbine deck is routinely 10-20C hotter. Makes a big difference.

Well I took everything back apart.CLEANED everything really good,went and bought some,lint free rags and wiped everything down with brake clean..plastigauged everything again and I'm now at .003 on all but #5 it's between .0025 and .003.the #5 bearing had what I would compared to a paint job that got dust under the paint.it had a rough-ish texture to it.so machine shop that did work told me I could take some 600 grit sand paper and oil and lightly sand down till smooth..it didn't take much and the bumps were gone..rechecked and am squished just below the .003 Mark on the plastigauge..I'm going to call that good..guess we'll see what happen..due to recent life events I just couldnt go spend any real money on mics or anything..it's probably not proper method but it is what it is..hopefully .0025 clearance will work..

Back