My 2.6 P-Pump 24V Budget Truck

Well the Budget Puller made the cut today at State Fair and gets to pull again tomorrow. Not sure how the clutch is going to handle it because it did not grab again for several feet as you can see in the video below. I had a few people tell me it was around 100ft. before it grabbed. Hard to tell by this video. We are going to have to pull it out this week no matter what.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVCCTVf2fQA&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVCCTVf2fQA&feature=plcp[/ame]

I had a great day today and seen a lot of NICE trucks and got some awesome pictures. Looking forward to tomorrow even if my clutch does not hold up.

Just had to post up the latest because I am just pretty dang proud of my Budget Cummins Puller...

Got my clutch fixed after State Fair and have made a few other little tweaks here and there along the way. I have gained another 25+ feet since the fair.

Here is my video from Billings this weekend. This was the first pull with the water to air setup we built and finished about an hour before we headed to the pulls.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NQcUh2Spb8&feature=share"]Darrel Keil Good job! - YouTube[/ame]

I learned a lesson on my water to air setup. As you can hear the engine was studdering real bad when I brought the RPMs up. I launched at only 4100 RPM range because when I smashed the pedal it would not rev any higher. After the pull I was talking to Pony_Kegger and he brought up something I had never thought about. My intercooler is in the ice box and I had the water and ice in it hours before I pulled which filled the cooler full of condensation. So I know now not to do that. But the only reason I did was because this was built last minute and I did not have time to grab some coolers to store the ice in. So I just threw it in the ice box so it was not melting in the bed and going to waste. LESSON LEARNED....

Here is the results from Saturday night...

1. Leah Scott (The Executioner) - 342'
2. Garry Woodward (Yippe Ki Yea) - 336.52'
3. Jim Greenway (07 Baillie Diesel) - 336.06'
4. Darrell Keil (Nothin Special) - 322.32'
5. Jim Greenway (94 Baillie Diesel) - 320'
6. Andrew Tarter 12v - ??
7. Unknown Name (Ford 3.0 White Crew Cab) - ??

After fixing the clutch and the few other little things I have done since the State Fair I now have around $10,000 tied up in the whole truck. I am VERY PLEASED with this truck for no more money then I have wrapped up in it. But I have taken little steps changing things after every pull rather than just dumping a bunch of money in it and hoping it turned out good.

Your truck is doing great. I hope you get the Cummins fever and keep it. I know you are a die hard Ford man but you must admit this Dodge has been a darn good time this year. I'd be proud of it!!!

I don't think we can keep up with you now. Maybe next year....................

It has come to my attention that a few people think I am trying to be a bragger about my truck being so cheap. I would like to say I am Sorry if it has been taken that way. That is not how this was meant at all.

You all have to understand I am a DIE HARD FORD and a DIE HARD 7.3L Power Stroke man. I have NEVER been a Dodge guy at all and I have always kinda looked at the Cummins as the Chevy 350 of the diesel world since they are cheaper and easier to make big power. So me building a Dodge Cummins is WAY out of the box for me.

However, I did get a deal on this truck and since I am in the diesel business and work on these trucks daily and have access to a lot of parts both new and used I have been able to take my time with this truck and shop and trade into the parts and pieces I wanted for this build. My goal has strictly been to have as much as I can for the least amount out of my pocket.

That being said I can say I have been shocked myself with what I have accomplished for no more then I have invested. I have not posted this stuff to brag. I have posted about this truck and what I have done because I am DAMN PROUD of this truck and I like to share that fact. Being a die hard Ford man I would not be posting just to brag about a Cummins. Now if this was a Ford 7.3L Power Stroke it mite be a different story.LOL

So again, if some one thinks I am posting just to brag then I am Sorry. It was not meant that way at all. And if you all would like for me to stop updating about this truck then just say the word. I do not want to step on any toes or have people ticked off at me over having so little invested in my truck. I sled pull because it is something I love doing and is a lot of fun and I don't want people being mad at me for some reason. That just takes the enjoyment out of it for me.

Phuk the haters - keep up the good work. 4.88s need to be in your future!

It has come to my attention that a few people think I am trying to be a bragger about my truck being so cheap. I would like to say I am Sorry if it has been taken that way. That is not how this was meant at all.

You all have to understand I am a DIE HARD FORD and a DIE HARD 7.3L Power Stroke man. I have NEVER been a Dodge guy at all and I have always kinda looked at the Cummins as the Chevy 350 of the diesel world since they are cheaper and easier to make big power. So me building a Dodge Cummins is WAY out of the box for me.

However, I did get a deal on this truck and since I am in the diesel business and work on these trucks daily and have access to a lot of parts both new and used I have been able to take my time with this truck and shop and trade into the parts and pieces I wanted for this build. My goal has strictly been to have as much as I can for the least amount out of my pocket.

That being said I can say I have been shocked myself with what I have accomplished for no more then I have invested. I have not posted this stuff to brag. I have posted about this truck and what I have done because I am DAMN PROUD of this truck and I like to share that fact. Being a die hard Ford man I would not be posting just to brag about a Cummins. Now if this was a Ford 7.3L Power Stroke it mite be a different story.LOL

So again, if some one thinks I am posting just to brag then I am Sorry. It was not meant that way at all. And if you all would like for me to stop updating about this truck then just say the word. I do not want to step on any toes or have people ticked off at me over having so little invested in my truck. I sled pull because it is something I love doing and is a lot of fun and I don't want people being mad at me for some reason. That just takes the enjoyment out of it for me.

I've been following this thread and have been pretty impressed with what you have done. I never took it as you bragging about your truck. Keep us updated and keep working on the Ford, as I too am a Ford man! (except I like cummins too haha)

I've been following this thread and have been pretty impressed with what you have done. I never took it as you bragging about your truck. Keep us updated and keep working on the Ford, as I too am a Ford man! (except I like cummins too haha)

I don't think ur bragging. However u will see the law of dimenishing returns(ie it will take u another 15k to get the next 20ft). U can still have fun though!

Your not bragging. But I think I would be bragging if I only had that much in my truck. Like Zstroken said you will find out that it takes a lot of money for the next 10 feet. Good luck with it! You otta come to Cole Camp this weekend.

What did the issue with the clutch end up being?

Some one had cut a bunch of material off the face of the flywheel but the the pressure plate stands. My buddy that builds pulling clutches said he don't know how it was working as good as it was because the clutch levers out as far as they could go and it did not have much pressure on the discs and floater.

He ended up machining and riveting a new face plate on the flywheel and now it works GREAT.

Thanks guys....

From what I understand today after talking with a couple people I think instead of bragging they actually meant I was trying rub it in other peoples faces that I had so little in the truck but was up there with some really high dollar trucks.

Either way that was not my intentions. Like I said I am just proud of what I have accomplished with this truck for so little. I have built up and pulled a couple Fords Power Strokes in the past and spent more money but never gotten where I have with this Cummins.

I may be a Ford Power Stroke man but I can honestly say I am really liking playing with this Cummins. If I did not already have around $13k-14k tied up in my Power Stroke long block I would almost put the Cummins in my Ford for next year.

I can see where this is going..... That :bow: Cummins fever is getting a little stronger :poke:

:ford: :homo: :hehe:

Last edited:
Video of pull on Friday at Chrome Shop Mafia pulls in Joplin.

Broke both the front and rear ends.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weV0MbIW1xw&feature=plcp"]DPP P-Pump 24V Cummins Joplin Mo. 9/29/12 Chrome Shop Mafia Truck Pulls - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VboM4YXgS84&feature=plcp"]IN CAB Camera DPP P-Pump 24V Cummins Joplin Mo. 9/29/12 Chrome Shop Mafia Truck Pulls - YouTube[/ame]

You know its getting the power to the ground when axles are going. Great hook, well worth a good set of shafts. I'd stick with the dodge too!

We made some changes and upgrades. Should be finished tomorrow and ready to pull Saturday.

Back