My 47RH Build

Ghostman

24v crazy
Well basically got a stock unit here. Just went through it tonight except for the OD. I'll look at that later. Trading some parts with Lavon at Firepunk who has been really helpful. He'll be sending me some billet goodies. I noticed that everything looked pretty good for the most part. I thought both of the 47RH planets were 4 gear but the front planet was a aluminum 5 gear? I have read almost every single transmission build thread on here BTW.

Plan on:
Billets servos
Billet accumulator
Billet front anchor, strut, 4.4 apply lever
"Junker Drag Truck" clutch pack mods
5 gear steel planets
Replace all bushings, seals, gaskets, etc
Looking for a good deep pan
Not sure yet on shafts or TC
Trying to figure who can build a reverse pattern full manual valve body besides suncoast, Darren Morrison might be able to, I'll have to call him.

Here's some pics:

I thought there was suppose to be some o-rings here along with the steel rings?
pubamymy.jpg

Not sure how thick the front band is suppose to be, but it looks a little thin. May replace it. Recommendations?
pe5uva4e.jpg

5pinion
y7u6ytyt.jpg

Is this bad? The scoring?
e5apene4.jpg

This bushing is looks kind of worn. This side rides against the 4 pinion where it's scuffed.
egy3y2u2.jpg

5 gear is scuffed
za8enazu.jpg

How does this look?
ve6yjetu.jpg

Rear band looks burnt?
be9u2aga.jpg

Is OD piston retainer look ok?
2e8e7yha.jpg

pe9u7ate.jpg

Front clutches(direct), four clutches four steels look brand new, expected since it does the shifting, says Raybestos on clutches
ebetavat.jpg

Rear clutches look used, four clutches and four steels
e9u7avuz.jpg

Thanks for any and all feed back.

Any truth to drilling the holes in the intermediate shaft slightly larger to help feed clutch packs planets better? Any other little secrets or tips are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just the two steel rings on the pump. I machined the rear planet for thrust bearings, seems like the OE thrust washers take a beating. Also you can get a upgraded OD piston retainer with a o-ring, I would recommend it.

Just the two steel rings on the pump. I machined the rear planet for thrust bearings, seems like the OE thrust washers take a beating. Also you can get a upgraded OD piston retainer with a o-ring, I would recommend it.

Be willing to machine mine??

I'll look into the upgraded OD piston retainer. Does that come out of a 48RE or maybe sonnax or wittrans or PATC?

"5 gear steel planets"
The front planet can be upgraded to a 5 pinion steel, the rear planet can be upgraded to a 6 pinion Aluminum and the OD planet can be upgraded to a 6 pinoin steel. Not sure if you planning to upgrade all three.

http://www.lpwracing.com/Trans_Pans/Deep_Transmission_Pans.html
Makes a good cheap pan. I have the 48Re deep one and it works well, not too low like the DD MagHytec.

"OD piston retainer"

Sonnax sells the upgraded one.

Carefully inspect the teeth on your Sungear for wear on them

"5 gear steel planets"
The front planet can be upgraded to a 5 pinion steel, the rear planet can be upgraded to a 6 pinion Aluminum and the OD planet can be upgraded to a 6 pinoin steel. Not sure if you planning to upgrade all three.

http://www.lpwracing.com/Trans_Pans/Deep_Transmission_Pans.html
Makes a good cheap pan. I have the 48Re deep one and it works well, not too low like the DD MagHytec.

"OD piston retainer"

Sonnax sells the upgraded one.

Carefully inspect the teeth on your Sungear for wear on them

Thanks, I do plan on upgrading all three planets, as I've heard the 4 pinion don't hold up well past 500HP. Plus the 5 pinions can be had fairly cheap, the 6 pinion steels get expensive. Will the aluminum 6 pinion suffice or should I really nut up for a steel? I also have a OD housing from a 48RE I was going to rob all the hard parts from for the 47RH OD housings. I believe they should swap.

Also, I noticed these stock planets have quite a bit of slack in them, especially the front one. I'm thinking they are too worn to run anyhow.

I will inspect the sun-gear carefully. Thanks for the pointers.

Is it worth getting the 48RE direct(front) drum to hold additional clutch/steels, or just fit more in the 47 drum?

I went with patc's carbon fiber brass impregnated front band. Seems fine so far. Along with their 70$ dollar front servo , 4.2 lever, hd anchor and strut, and the tfodhd2 Transgo shift kit, billet single disk with a billet block instead of a spring I side the converter clutch. Lockup feels nice and firm. Currently have it apart again ugh because of a stripped vb bolt that caused a lot of grief. So this time around I added new Tc lockup and od soleniods along with a new Tc lock up timing valve from sonnax and all the holes drilled to the max recommended size. I also have a pi billet input a d bd billet flexplate. 300 rpm lower stall, 4.10 gears , and an he351 should make for a good beach driver

Oh and for your steel locking rings on your pump they have better pieces in the Transgo vb kit or you can get them from a tranny shop. I believe there is one on your input shaft as well. Worth changing while you have it apart. They are supposed to stand up to higher line pressures better.

I have one of will's trannies, drive's perfect. I would definetly talk to him about the 4.4 apply lever. I had my eyes on one but he convinced me to go with a 4.2 apply lever.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

On the planetarys I understand the front one needs to be switched to a 5 gear and steel is preferred. Now onto the rear planetary, if I were to find a 6 gear but aluminum, is it worth swapping or should I just stick with a 5 gear steel. The 6 gear steels are very expensive whether front or rear. Are the 6 gear front aluminums ok or should I stick with 5 gear steel?

Found a front planetary 6 gear steel for $150 free shipping, used in good condition supposedly. That sounds like a good deal, what say yee?

Last edited:
Steel front planet for sure. Even if it's 6 pinion aluminum you still risk stripping the splines. I'm running a aluminum 6 pinion rear planet, haven't heard of them breaking. I know guys running the stock 4 pinion rear planet without issue.

Also FWIW I bought a aftermarket 6 pinion steel for overdrive and it grenaded on me. I would just keep the oem planet or get a genuine 48re one.

Sent from phone

Steel front planet for sure. Even if it's 6 pinion aluminum you still risk stripping the splines. I'm running a aluminum 6 pinion rear planet, haven't heard of them breaking. I know guys running the stock 4 pinion rear planet without issue.

Also FWIW I bought a aftermarket 6 pinion steel for overdrive and it grenaded on me. I would just keep the oem planet or get a genuine 48re one.

Sent from phone

Thanks for the insight. I have a 48re OD to take apart and rob parts from. Were you the one that machined the planets for torrington bearings? Could you provide more info on that?

Where did you find a 5 pinion rear steel that would fit? the 48RE stuff will not fit.

PATC sells the Front and OD for about $100 each. I'm guessing one of the vendors could also get you prices

Thanks for the insight. I have a 48re OD to take apart and rob parts from. Were you the one that machined the planets for torrington bearings? Could you provide more info on that?

Yeah, We just machined the rear planet. I can try to find a part# for the bearings and take some pics. We used a rotary table and mill.

Sent from phone

Where did you find a 5 pinion rear steel that would fit? the 48RE stuff will not fit.

PATC sells the Front and OD for about $100 each. I'm guessing one of the vendors could also get you prices

Well I found a 6 gear rear(forward) planetary, it doesn't say whether its aluminum or steel, but it looks aluminum. It's on ebay listed from PATC lol.

Yeah, We just machined the rear planet. I can try to find a part# for the bearings and take some pics. We used a rotary table and mill.

Sent from phone

Yes please!

yes, its a direct swap with a few snap rings changed. that being said, I put 1980ftlbs through a 5 pinion straight cut steel OD planet.

Hey, I don't want to hijack your thread but was curious on if some of you all could tell me when kind of upgrades I could do just by dropping the pan. A good friend and trans builder recommended a transgo shift kit with a front servo and accumulator. Could he swap in the band strut or apply lever while he's in there? I haven't asked him yet but the transmission is still in the truck and doesn't slip but I want some insurance before I go to far.

Will also be getting a DPC converter when we find some money lol.

Hey, I don't want to hijack your thread but was curious on if some of you all could tell me when kind of upgrades I could do just by dropping the pan. A good friend and trans builder recommended a transgo shift kit with a front servo and accumulator. Could he swap in the band strut or apply lever while he's in there? I haven't asked him yet but the transmission is still in the truck and doesn't slip but I want some insurance before I go to far.

Will also be getting a DPC converter when we find some money lol.

The only thing you could do with the tranny in there is VB. Might be able to swap anchor and strut if you loosen up enough on them. You could also swap the accumulator.

Back