my latest motor build with pictures..

Very interested to know of anyone's experience with this cover? The price is excellent and the idea of no more leaking ass factory covers very appealing! Any comment on height i.e. will there be issues clearing A1 studs?

Tappet cover
317f6464.jpg

5cdcd58c.jpg

Unless your referring to valves covers. Those are the BD ones. Id say they would have the same issues as stock. Same design.

Last edited:
well its together but,, but i somehow f'd something up, i think somehow i retarded the cam timing one tooth.. im going to pull it back apart starting tomorrow but here are a couple of picts of it together today..
photobucket-2688-1335755828691.jpg

photobucket-23173-1335755829185.jpg

Just curious why are you using engine coolant for the air to water? I don't think you will see a huge change with it only being able to get the air down to 230 ish.

well mostly because it was much easier to get it in right now and not have to buy the rest of what i need for its own cooling system, ie radiator, pump and fan.. but sometime soon i will get those.. but yes as it is getting the staged temp down to say 230-250 range will beniefiet vs without anything and discharge temp at above the 300 temps.. anything is more than nothing and if its 75* chooler between the stages thats better than nothing.

thanks guys for the compliments.. its been a long road.. i hope it gets going soon.

I know it gets old hearing good job and looks good, but it does look great. Like a fine piece of.... You get the point LOL especially digging how nice the W/A came together.

thanks man.. at this point of frustration its good to hear at least it looks good..

Understandable. Ive noticed there are too many Adam's in the diesel community. On a side note LOL

Man, you just can't catch a break. Hope you get it figured out.

one tooth, i dont understand how but something is not right.. took a while to get it started.. Thats the first thing knew wasnt right, the pump was driven into the shop friday and put on my motor on the stand.. i didnt leave the injector lines loose figuring the extra turn over time would help build some oil pressure but ended up using some either and fired it. Bad blue smoke, ran super rough. got hot like engine temp in like a minute of keeping it running. If i could get it to rev up it was making like 20psi boost at 2500rpm in nuetral.. well first off timing had moved because my bad for not checking the adjustable pump gear, so it went to the limit of retard.. i moved it back to where or close to the pinned 16*... started it, it was better it would acctually idle kindof, sounded like a big cammed 6 with and irratic idle.. man it heated up in a hurry.. and blue smoke.. so i feel like the cam is retarded one tooth somehow.. keeping the combustion in to long creating the heat and boost, and the intake barely letting enough air in to run.. i also put some more timing in and it didnt help acctually ran worse..
this is where the gear was when it ran best out of the three it tried... then quit came home to regroup..
photobucket-7604-1335755828185.jpg

Tappet cover
317f6464.jpg

5cdcd58c.jpg

Unless your referring to valves covers. Those are the BD ones. Id say they would have the same issues as stock. Same design.

lmao, yeah, i'm an idiot. Was a lazy sunday full of a bit of alcohol and confused valve cover with tappet cover:nail:

well, its running.. went back over after work with a fresh day and ready for the worst.. well i started i pulled the front cover off and checked the cam timing, started over with the pump timing. i also pulled the valve covers to make sure everything was ok and it was... put it back together and it runs.. i have no friggen idea was was so wrong, must have been the pump timing..
drove it home, lost the bottom radiator hose and one of the boost connections.. i need to get some better 3" to 4" boots.. someone have a place to get those.. i got these from frozen boost and they only have a 1" clamping area.. wont work..
anyway so far im just happy it is finally running.. its been a 6 month deal collecting parts, all the best parts i could afford and its finally running again.. still plenty of work to do..
the list of to do's;
instal the comp traction bars
fix the front axle, going to 35 splined outers and hubs
change the gears to 3.55's
hydro assist steering..

i never really got far into it maybe like 20-25 psi but feels strong.. doesnt seem to have the same bottom as the stock head but this is a new combo so its going to take a bit of tuning for sure.. its a bit smokey on the bottom the way it is now.. i am wanting to go with a dedicated cooling system for the water to air.. sooner then later now..

well todays update.. driven it 22.3 miles since i drove it home last night.. went back out today to change out the boost connections and any other little loose ends i knew about.. well drove almost all the way home and started to give it some power to see how it ran, well long story short the head gasket wont hold half throttle... its puking oil out the front.. sometimes i wonder why i do this, might be easier to pick up a hammer and start randomly smashing fingers.....or just beating my head against a brick wall.....LOL... im prolly going to throw a head gasket at it again when i regain my composior but im pretty sure i should do o-rings now... and of course everyone that does them in cali is busy... fml!!!!

Last edited:
Back