need help! 5K GSK acting up

SSpeeDEMONSS

Still Learning
i installed a CDS 5K GSK today. it came with shims from the guy i got it from so i used the shims and did the initial click then 4 more. i started it and had to turn the idle up a little. got it around 6-700rpms. when i give it a little throttle it will rev up to 1500 and stay there. it wont come down from there. what did i do wrong? the shims? too tight? too loose?

Garrett

I'll give you my experience and you can choose from there. When I first installed mine the only issue I had was you had to tap the throttle to start it. That's normally too tight. Backed them off two turns and now if I get the idle anything over 700 it will surge to 1200. Seems to start fine. When I get time I'm going to tighten it back up one click and see what happens.

I'll give you my experience and you can choose from there. When I first installed mine the only issue I had was you had to tap the throttle to start it. That's normally too tight. Backed them off two turns and now if I get the idle anything over 700 it will surge to 1200. Seems to start fine. When I get time I'm going to tighten it back up one click and see what happens.

so maybe its not tight enough. ok, i guess ill try that unless someone says its something else. idles nice. seem a little touchy but i can live with it. i just dont need it to surge up like that. at least i can just push in the clutch.

Garrett

theyre definitely too loose. as soon as i turn the key it fires. no cranking or anything. and thats with the idle set super low.

Garrett

i installed a CDS 5K GSK today. it came with shims from the guy i got it from so i used the shims and did the initial click then 4 more. i started it and had to turn the idle up a little. got it around 6-700rpms. when i give it a little throttle it will rev up to 1500 and stay there. it wont come down from there. what did i do wrong? the shims? too tight? too loose?

Garrett

In my experience with 5 and 4k sets (run a 5k cds set currently in a non benched 215 pump) idle hanging like that is too much tension.

The only info I can give you is I tried everything on my pump to make them work and it was a no go.

Jim

my 5k hangs sometimes in my 215 non benched pump. it will have a high idle at around 1800 or so and won't come down till after i take it for a ride. after a drive it comes back down to 750 or so. you can free rev it all you want, it will still hang. my is set one soft click and two firm.
mike

One thing for sure about the CDS 5k kit is that they seem to act diff. from pump to pump, they require some patients and tuning. I run mine right on the ragged edge to get the advertise rpm [ 7 firm I believe ] and they act and run great but still requires throttle input to start. Mine at 2,3,4, had some of the mentined surge / hang issues but ran fine besides only running 4k or so and still required pedal to crank. Id like to have my second set of Scheids 5k's back that I had over a year ago, Id give them another try. Ryan

when i put mine in they were perfect didnt even have to move the idle but i have a buddy that got a set on his 96 and we still cant get them right after about five times of messing with them his is a 215 and mine is a 160

ok, so i gave it 1 click and it still starts with no pedal at all. idles nice. as soon as i rev it up a little it climbs up to about 1500-1750. so i shut it off.

gave it another click and it still starts no problem with no throttle input or anything. idles nice. little revs to 1000 or less are alright but seems slow to come back down. if i rev it to more than 1100 or so it climbs up to 1500-1750 again.

so where am i with this. at the initial setting it wouldnt idle high enough. now where it is now it it idles great but still climbs up hangs. try more clicks?

Garrett

How many are you in now? BTW adjustments are much faster and simpler from the top in through the afc hole if you make a custom tool. Do one; roll it over via crank or alt. and get the other. Go more if you feel its going in the right direction the idle should raise and the rpm limit will rise with each click. Ryan

How many are you in now? BTW adjustments are much faster and simpler from the top in through the afc hole if you make a custom tool. Do one; roll it over via crank or alt. and get the other. Go more if you feel its going in the right direction the idle should raise and the rpm limit will rise with each click. Ryan

yeah, idle raised yet doesnt need any throttle input to start. seems to idle just fine. i havent driven it because of the way it revs up and hangs at a "hi idle".

i can get in, adjust the springs, and put it all back together in 10mins from the side plug. thats why i dont mind going in to adjust it again.

oh, # of clicks. well, i think i felt the first then went 4. then i did 2 more today. cant guarantee the first was an actual click though.

Garrett

ok, its not hanging up at 2k.

so more clicks helped the idle but raised the RPMs that its raising to and hanging at.

it wont really even stay at an idle now. just a tiny bit over idle and it starts to rev up.

Garrett

I would take clicks out. Seems tightening them is not helping so what's to loose. Like I said before, too much tension results in behavior like you're stating. I like adjusting one or two clicks at a time from the top with just a normal screw driver (flat blade). If you are starting from scratch go from the side port below the shut off solenoid, you can use your thumb to feel the clicks. Good luck

ok, so i backed them both all the way out and did the first initial hard click only. it idles super low again and after warmed up a little it raises up to 1000-10150 or so. so, its better than before but its still not right. it seems to only fuel to 3200 or so then fades off. i dont get it.

are there supposed to be shims with them? both springs have 2 shims.

is this just not going to work on my truck?

Garrett

ok, so i backed them both all the way out and did the first initial hard click only. it idles super low again and after warmed up a little it raises up to 1000-10150 or so. so, its better than before but its still not right. it seems to only fuel to 3200 or so then fades off. i dont get it.

are there supposed to be shims with them? both springs have 2 shims.

is this just not going to work on my truck?

Garrett

Honestly I'm having a hard time recalling but I think the big idle spring shims (one per side) are supposed to be used with the CDS kit. It's been quite a long time since I installed mine so I can't say for certain. No seats or anything, just the big idle spring shim.

Back