need help! 5K GSK acting up

Sounds like you got some 10gsk's, 10150 is waaay up there!

the last thing i need is to see 10150rpms!

Honestly I'm having a hard time recalling but I think the big idle spring shims (one per side) are supposed to be used with the CDS kit. It's been quite a long time since I installed mine so I can't say for certain. No seats or anything, just the big idle spring shim.

there is a seat in as well. the big idle spring is the second largest spring? mine has a seat and 2 shims. if i must ill go pull one side out and take a pic of them all and measure the shims. though i dont want to as its raining. if it could be the shims id be willing to try that.

Garrett

the last thing i need is to see 10150rpms!

there is a seat in as well. the big idle spring is the second largest spring? mine has a seat and 2 shims. if i must ill go pull one side out and take a pic of them all and measure the shims. though i dont want to as its raining. if it could be the shims id be willing to try that.

Garrett

Maybe I should clarify. I mean there is an upper seat which is what the nut pushes against the top of the springs (I think of them as a retainer). But no lower seat if I remember correctly.

Maybe I should clarify. I mean there is an upper seat which is what the nut pushes against the top of the springs (I think of them as a retainer). But no lower seat if I remember correctly.

there IS a lower one. damn, im gonna have to go pull them out.

Garrett

4K left, 5K right

downsized_1012091420.jpg

Garrett

Unless CDS changed there gsk kits recently, thats not a CDS kit. My set had an outer idle spring and one big thick center spring that required you to remove the bottom spring seat. You should prob start making some calls and find out what gsk kit ya really have.

ok, so i backed them both all the way out and did the first initial hard click only. it idles super low again and after warmed up a little it raises up to 1000-10150 or so. so, its better than before but its still not right. it seems to only fuel to 3200 or so then fades off. i dont get it.

are there supposed to be shims with them? both springs have 2 shims.

is this just not going to work on my truck?

Garrett

Garrett, that sounds about normal for them, yes there are shims under the idle spring, mine had .025 worth of shims, I went up to .040 then up to .060 and that was the most I tried, mine was set at initial plus 2 and it worked the best there but still only fueled a little harder than 4K's, mostly on the bottom end, top end was a little higher on top.

Jim

Garrett, that sounds about normal for them, yes there are shims under the idle spring, mine had .025 worth of shims, I went up to .040 then up to .060 and that was the most I tried, mine was set at initial plus 2 and it worked the best there but still only fueled a little harder than 4K's, mostly on the bottom end, top end was a little higher on top.

Jim

ok, so that was for a CDS 5k or a haisley?

also, you're sayin it basically wont idle? mine did that with only the initial click. any more and it would raise up.

Garrett

Unless CDS changed there gsk kits recently, thats not a CDS kit. My set had an outer idle spring and one big thick center spring that required you to remove the bottom spring seat. You should prob start making some calls and find out what gsk kit ya really have.

Correct, that's no CDS 5k kit.
You might also check your mechanical linkage and make sure theres no bind in it any where, check the adjustable rod that goes from the T. lever back up to the tps. Also IF you dont need the big R's Id get a 4k kit and throw in it, they tune out lots easier it seems and more than enough rpm for most anyways. The only reason for rpm over say 35-3600 in most cases is simply for wheel speed whether it be drag racing burning through the traps or pulling just for big wheel speed and momentum. No power to be found up there. Ryan

Correct, that's no CDS 5k kit.
You might also check your mechanical linkage and make sure theres no bind in it any where, check the adjustable rod that goes from the T. lever back up to the tps. Also IF you dont need the big R's Id get a 4k kit and throw in it, they tune out lots easier it seems and more than enough rpm for most anyways. The only reason for rpm over say 35-3600 in most cases is simply for wheel speed whether it be drag racing burning through the traps or pulling just for big wheel speed and momentum. No power to be found up there. Ryan

yeah, i figured about the 4k. i traded my 4k for these. its just another thing im trying. i want to see how everything does for myself. i guess these arent going to work out.

my linkage is fine. no problems at all. i can manually move the linkage with my hand and no difference. plus, if it was linkage i dont think it would get affected too much by adjusting it. it was also fine with my 4k.

oh well, thats how i learn. thanks for all the help guys. if there is anything else i can try i would love to hear it. im going to have these in for a while until i can get another 4k.

Garrett

ok, so that was for a CDS 5k or a haisley?

also, you're sayin it basically wont idle? mine did that with only the initial click. any more and it would raise up.

Garrett

CDS and Industrial Injection 5K's both act the same but totally different from each other, never tried Haisley's.......I don't think it is the springs, it's the pump.

Jim

anybody tried darren morrison's or jeff garmons? i heard they work well.

CDS and Industrial Injection 5K's both act the same but totally different from each other, never tried Haisley's.......I don't think it is the springs, it's the pump.

Jim

so there's something wrong with the pump? it ran great with the 4k in it.

Garrett

so there's something wrong with the pump? it ran great with the 4k in it.

Garrett

There is something about 5K's that just makes them really hard to get right without going to a stand, my pump works great with 4K's but 5's are a no go!

Jim

There is something about 5K's that just makes them really hard to get right without going to a stand, my pump works great with 4K's but 5's are a no go!

Jim

ah, i see. well hopefully i can get a 4k back in my truck soon.

Garrett

Back