New Garrett Line

AHall

Hobbyist
Garrett is introducing a new series called GTX-R. Ex. GTX4088r. All the turbos will move 10% more lbs/min and 10% more pressure with the same size compressor. The comp maps are very impressive. It sounds like Garrett's answer to extended tip technology. Maybe more ppl will run them now. Supposed to introduce them at SEMA.

cool still to pricey for my taste.

Well you definately get what you pay for. Im sure its nice for the heavy competitors to have the reassurance they arn't going to send the turbo thru their $30k engine. Plus the ball bearing cartridge takes some serious abuse without extensive wear.

when is the going to be available to the public and how much of a price increase are they?the current GT series hold up to some serious abuse,look at the Audi R15 TDI,or the Banks Duramax powered S-10, that truck runs 8s with 2 Garrett TR30R turbos.so there is no doubt that the myth of a bb turbo wont hold up on a diesel is FALSE. i think it has taken awhile but BB turbos in my mind are the only way to go

Well you definately get what you pay for. Im sure its nice for the heavy competitors to have the reassurance they arn't going to send the turbo thru their $30k engine. Plus the ball bearing cartridge takes some serious abuse without extensive wear.

???

I've blown up 3 of the wonderful ball bearing chargers with absolutely no warranty help whatsoever...Yeah, they are really durable!!!

I can't see where they spool much better anyway!
Chris

I do agree that garret makes a hell of a charger but they are not magic, I know my compound holset setup spools instant and makes great power for my $1000 investment in a complete compound setup with 2 rebuilt turbos. On the other hand I could have done a garret setup for about 4 times that and maybe gotten 10% better spool (not enough for me).

I do see your point about the big guys and wanting a little extra insurance with a very expensive engine. For my application I just cant see spending the money they want for them.

I am glad to hear that they are coming out with something similar to the extended tip technology though, should make for some really nice chargers.

Well i get garrett at distributor price so everything is way cheap so i guess price isnt a big issue here. Thats why i like running garrett because not many ppl do and someone has to test them lol. I've had alot of luck so far. Mine has very little play in the shaft and iv'e had it apart and back together almost 10 times trying different combinations with .89a/r, .99a/r exhaust, 59/82, 63.5/88, 67.8/94 comp wheels. Never did any balancing with any change. Every setup has seen over 50psi and 1750*F. So it has been heavily abused and hasn't failed yet.

Next setup will be the GTX4088 64.7mm wheel and housing to see if it really is an improvement.
I have a gt4702 sitting under my bench(this thing is HUGE) id like to run as a primary with my gt37 frame. But more than likely i'll just rebuild a gt4202 and run with it.

Signature600- Man you've run like 100 different turbos. What all have you run? Sorry bout your luck with garrett. But we do have a cartridge exchange program that lets you trade your blown up or worn out one. Its half off or a little less i believe. What is the cause of failure of the 3 you've run?

i bet that 4702 is a giant, i am going with a Custom built GT4094R. i am gonna use the 4094R CHRA with a non wastegated T3 .85 a/r ehaust housing, and the 4 inch common rail exhaust flange. it should spool up pretty good on the street

Signature600- Man you've run like 100 different turbos. What all have you run? Sorry bout your luck with garrett. But we do have a cartridge exchange program that lets you trade your blown up or worn out one. Its half off or a little less i believe. What is the cause of failure of the 3 you've run?

2 GT4088R's and 1 GT4294R

First GT4088R melted the turbine wheel at a peak EGT of 1350*. Second one EXPLODED at 41psi and 1500* with a .050 jet of spray. That one seems to have hurt the engine pretty bad.
GT4294R compressor started rubbing the housing after about 5 passes and 300 miles, EGT's in the 1400* range, boost at 39-41psi with a .050 jet.

Now I have run the little GT3782R and GT3788R with some really good luck, but not on my 12v.

Chris

For what it's worth the ball bearing turbonetics t66 I used to run didn't come apart. It didn't make alot of power but didn't come apart. It was abused. Just food for thought.

Signature600 did you clock the center housing 20 degree from horizontal for proper water flow?

Never saw anything in any Garrett paperwork that said to do so...why would this matter on a pressurized system??

Chris

clocking the turbo 20* keeps it about 10* cooler. it also is mainly for after the vehicle has been shut off.

Garrett RECOMMENDS that if your turbo has water cooling that you use it.

Water Lines Water cooling is a key design feature for improved durability and we recommend that if your turbo has an allowance for watercooling, hook up the water lines. Water cooling eliminates the destructive occurrence of oil coking by utilizing the Thermal Siphon Effect to reduce the Peak Heat Soak Back Temperature on the turbine side piston after shut-down. In order to get the greatest benefit from your watercooling system, avoid undulations in the water lines to maximize the Thermal Siphon Effect.

I did have the water lines hooked up, but did not have the housing clocked 20*...now it was clocked a little, but I don't know about 20*

Also, the GT4088R was run with an electric water pump setup to run for 5 minutes after shut down.

Chris

i bet that 4702 is a giant, i am going with a Custom built GT4094R. i am gonna use the 4094R CHRA with a non wastegated T3 .85 a/r ehaust housing, and the 4 inch common rail exhaust flange. it should spool up pretty good on the street

I ran the gt37r CHRA, .89a/r wg, and 4094 comp, and it surges in 4th and 5th pretty bad and runs way hot. cruising 70mph at 1000* and peaking over 1600+ egt. The .99a/r surged more and i got power at around 2100rpms. With the larger 77mm exhaust from the gt40r frame i would think it would have even more lag but i hope it works out well for you.

2 GT4088R's and 1 GT4294R

First GT4088R melted the turbine wheel at a peak EGT of 1350*. Second one EXPLODED at 41psi and 1500* with a .050 jet of spray. That one seems to have hurt the engine pretty bad.
GT4294R compressor started rubbing the housing after about 5 passes and 300 miles, EGT's in the 1400* range, boost at 39-41psi with a .050 jet.

Now I have run the little GT3782R and GT3788R with some really good luck, but not on my 12v.

Chris

I would be looking into a faulty egt gauge or a warranty.

Have 2 gauges, one in front 3 one in back 3, both withing about 50* of each other. None of the places that sold them to me will even talk about warranty replacement, and you can't rebuild them easily!

Chris

the GT chra's are junk, theres no 2 ways about it. they are made to be run at sub 25psi on gas motors if you want them to live.

Back