New Garrett Line

the GT chra's are junk, theres no 2 ways about it. they are made to be run at sub 25psi on gas motors if you want them to live.

Interestingly we run GT38R's at 40 psi all day long on hundreds of trucks and we run GT42R's at 60 psi + even spraying them to 80 psi with no problems.

i am with david, he actually sold me my first one 5 years ago and i have been running them ever since on my pullers. we beat the piss out of the 4202r's and they keep asking for more.lol

I must have got some bad ones or something...but I can break an anvil with a feather duster...could just be me??

Chris

I think when price comes down and more ppl run em themselves they will be believers too. Im guessing there is a reason they run them in high hp applications other than diesel. I've heard of alot of ppl (hear say) liking the gt4202 better than ht3b and s475. But im not sure why i've never heard of someone running gt55s or gt60s

i just got off the phone with Tom at Turbo Resource. he said he has been building and selling the 4202R to the Tractor pulling guys who are seeing 75psi out of the turbo, so them only being good to 25 psi is a false statement. i am sorry but what some of the diesel companys are selling there jurnal bearing turbos for is outrageous. the are taking a $1200 turbo and marking them up too $1850 and higher because they are a Diesel company. look at how long these companies have been in buisness versus how long Garrett has been around. all Garrett does is Turbochargers, they do not build pumps or engines, so there RD is directed towards one product. also the thrust loads of a BB turbo are alot higher than a standard jurnal bearing.plus you have 2 forms of CHRA cooling, water and oil, on a jurnal bearing turbo you only have oil. not that i am fan of Banks but he is using 2 Garrett BB turbo's in there dmax running 8's in the 1/4 consistanly. the Audi R10 and R15 TDI roadrace cars use Garrett BB turbos. i had a custom built GT4094r bb turbo built for the same price as a jurnal bearing 68mm turbo.

Garrett is introducing a new series called GTX-R. Ex. GTX4088r. All the turbos will move 10% more lbs/min and 10% more pressure with the same size compressor. The comp maps are very impressive. It sounds like Garrett's answer to extended tip technology. Maybe more ppl will run them now. Supposed to introduce them at SEMA.

When is SEMA? I have a gt4088r and would like to know if it would be worth it to go to the gtx line.

hey aer212,how do you like that turbo?

Havn't done any tuning on it yet like checking drive pressure, havnt run any programming either so not sure if it moves enough air, all of this because my tranny is on its way out. So all I could really tell you is I really like it and its far better than stock. Oh, and it has an awesome turbo whistle!

November i think. If your currently running the gt4088r that would mean your running the 63.5mm/88 comp. If your gonna step it up i would run the gt4088 non BB compressor which is 64.7mm/88 in the gtx line.
I'll post the comparison maps up as soon as i get the approval and let you guys make your own judgement. We know the chra's can hold up but they have always lacked a little bit in lbs/min compared to ETT wheels.

i am with david, he actually sold me my first one 5 years ago and i have been running them ever since on my pullers. we beat the piss out of the 4202r's and they keep asking for more.lol

Same here. But I run a plain bearing 4202. Two seasons. Bearings still tight as can be. It sees 1600+ egts and 55psi+ and likes it so far. I just pulled off to replace the comp wheel because of FOD damage.
I just put a bigger Garrett on.:woohoo:

I've been hearing about garretts not being reliable or able to handle diesels for awhile and the data and stories don't back it up. Anything mechanical will fail... We hear of a few failures from garretts and not even knowing the rest of the story.. "They are junk". However has no one ever heard of a single journal bearing turbo failure? Of course not, they abound. But with every one of those failures the excuses come out of the woodwork like it was one of the regular weekday Obama excusefests from the media. If a Silver Bullet fails the first statment usually made is something like "what stupid thing did you do to it?" And maybe the statment is, or maybe is not, merited. But by golly have a garrett fail and the first statment is always something like "garretts are junk and not reliable". But they are good enough for LeMans on couple hundred thousand dollar engines though...
Folks seemingly don't want to discuss fact on these.
Now what was said above about airflow not being equal for equal sized compressor wheels is a true statement. This is why I always compare maps with equivalent lbs/min to show the relationships. However, given a ball bearing turbo compressor wheel will spool much faster than its "smaller"brethern, I think the argument is specious.
Coming down to personal experiences, I have the BB twins and obviously they support at least 900hp and I know I am probably closer to 940 on #2. My top turbo is a gt4094r with a .99 a/r (close to 17cm)EH. Yet, it spools nearly identically to a HE351 in a truck with stock tuning. There has not been a person I know of that has driven my truck, and I invite anyone to, that has not come away thoroughly impressed with the spool and power support. I daily drive, and tow up to 10k, with it tuned to about 800hp (I get my best fuel mileage there) and average 18.5-19 mpg hand calc'd if I drive nicely. I've got 40k on these turbos, see up to 90 psi with them on the street, and have yet to have a single issue with them. What more do you want? (Besides lower $$$)

Is your 4094R a hybrid, or did you change your setup to use a t4 flanged non wastegated Gt4094R?

the current GT series hold up to some serious abuse,look at the Audi R15 TDI,or the Banks Duramax powered S-10, that truck runs 8s with 2 Garrett TR30R turbos.so there is no doubt that the myth of a bb turbo wont hold up on a diesel is FALSE.

the Banks Duramax doesn't run straight diesel, FYI, they use air in a bottle, and it isn't nitrous.

Garretts are nice turbos, but a lot of people shy away from them because of the price

thank you soulezoo, well said, i fully agree with you, Tom at Turbo Resource says hello. i took your advice on the DTR forum and went with the GT4094R, but it is a hybrid like yours. Tom put a T3 wastegated .85 a/r housing on mine, but instead of keeping it internally wastgated he is going to take the flapper out, plug weld the hole so that way i can run an external wastegate, and he is also machining the EH to accept the HX40 flange.

x2 on Sulezoo's statement; I am very involved with gas turbo drag race engines, and anyone who has ANY money to spend has a BB turbo(s). Garret, Precision, Turbonetics, Exile, all ball bearing, all water cooled CHRA's, very common on 3000 plus horsepower race engines. These guys will spend 80 to 120 thousand on the engine alone, some even machine their own BLOCKS from billet aluminum (Pro Line Racing Engines, Tim Lynch, Steve Petty) so if there was a better product available, they would have it. We have very expensive (to me at least) engines in our trucks, I paid 47,000 for my truck brand new, and have spent at least half of that on "goodies" to make it faster, better, etc. I looked hard at a couple 62 and 64 mm journal bearing turbos, at 1500-1800 dollars, purchased my GT3782r from Tom at Turbo Re Source for less than that! And it spools lightning fast!! Now, comparing a GT47r at around 2800-3000 to a rebuilt s475 for 600 dollars is like comparing a chevette to a mercedes, huge price difference, but look at the difference in the product! There are MUCH cheaper hobbies to be involved in if that is a person's main concern, and as stated, ANY hi-perf. product can and will fail under the right circumstances. Tom and I spoke about the supposed "failure rate" of the garret stuff, and he says many of the failures he has recieved never had water lines connected to them. Lets try that with our engines sometime, drain out the coolant and go beat it up, it's got the oil to cool it, right? My CHRA looks like it was cast yesterday, and it's been to 50 PSI lots of times, seen 1500-1600 EGT's, barked and surged through a couple tuning sessions, bearings nice and tight still, running strong. If you're convinced they're not worth the money, don't buy one, but don't claim they're junk because you heard of one failing; there are lots of threads about journal bearing turbo failures on here as well.

Sorry for the rant.

Terry, I heard you lost a freeze plug in your cyl. head, if so, was there any damage from the water in the engine? I hope you're up and running again now. My new ported, ZZfab intake cyl. head is getting screw in plugs now and will be going on shortly. We'll see what that does, then I'll add a 4508r under my existing turbo and an ED external gate for better tuning. I am concidering replacing my .89 exh housing with a .99 free float, since it already spools SO fast, maybe a little better flow, What's your opinion?

Cummins35.9 I'm running the GT3788r with the GT4088 compressor on it. I have been runing it for 2 yrs with no problems. Tom at Turbo-Resource built it. Love this turbo.

Terry.
What numbers are you seeing with your chargers for primary boost and total boost? I'm seeing 45 out of my primary and keep wondering if the GT55 might be in order. Seems like the mechanical trucks need more air than the common rail trucks.

Goin-big...

I blew out the rear freeze plug and this was with an Opies bypass. No damage that I could determine. I'll make a quick derail here to give a shout for Brad Ponci putting that back in. He really surprised me how fast he got that in. Great shop, great family, great guy.

I am putting the screw in plugs too. I have lost my confidence in the bypass for obvious reasons so when the next one goes it won't be one that ruins the internals.

You will love the 4508. Great turbo. The .99 EH is working well for me. The .89 is really aggressive and the .99 smooths it out and is a little slower but still a good choice IMO.

Back