New Pushrod; Now the valve lash can't be set?!

floridabob

I Pulled this out of my other post as it was related but now a whole new issue.

Just ran my valves. Found #6 exhaust was way out of whack (too much gap). Pulled the pushrod and found the ball end was gone. Not sure how it happened; But either way I replaced the pushrod and now I cannot adjust the valve lash. The adjustment screw is turned all the way out and its still too tight. Adjusted and re-adjusted to make certain the bottom of the pushrod was in the tappet.

What gives? What next?

I had adjusted the valves using the old push rod with the missing end and it ran well. But the adjustment screw was turned in further than the rest by 4/5 turns which is why I pulled the pushrod in the first place.

Thanks
bob

You dont have it seated in the tappet completely the way it sounds to me. They can sometimes be a pain.

You dont have it seated in the tappet completely the way it sounds to me. They can sometimes be a pain.

Sounds like it to me too. Maybe the tappet got galled up from running it with the messed up push rod.

Probably the tappet

Just tried the pushrod into the tappet again. I can tell it feels different than the others: the other pushrods seat into the tappet and hold a bit due to the oil in the socket. This is feels different.

So the tappet needs to be replaced, I guess?

Can I run on the old pushrod?

How difficult is a tappet replacement--does it require a head pull?

Quite possible the ball end of the pushrod is in the tappet.

Tappet replacement requires pulling the cam but not the head.

^^That's what it sounds like to me. If the ball was missing from the previous push tube, It's probably stuck inside the tappet. That would explain why it's sitting up so high. Try fishing it out with a magnet. Otherwise you are going to have to replace it.

If the magnet doesn't work a small parts grabber would be the next thing I would try

get your magnets, mirrors and one of those little l.e.d. lights on the end of a flex stick.

injection pump, oil pan, tappet cover, front gear cover, rad / intercooler will have to come out to pull cam, and remove / reinstall tappet.

If you can't fish it out, pull the pump and tappet cover. Its a lot of work, but once the cover is off, you can grab it with your fingers. You could inspect it much easier there as well.

Gotta Try

Thanks for all the info! I will go fishing. But I am also going to try using one of those fancy cameras on a flex to see what I see.

Not looking forward to trying to get this thing out. But I also want to see if there is any other damage.

Thanks for all the info! I will go fishing. But I am also going to try using one of those fancy cameras on a flex to see what I see.

Not looking forward to trying to get this thing out. But I also want to see if there is any other damage.

Bob I got your PM. Like everyone is telling you, you are either going to have to pull the pump and tappet cover to satisfy your curiosity:lolly: You will not be able to replace the lifter if it's damaged without pulling the camshaft out. So it's kind of up to you as to how you want to approach it. If it was me, I would go ahead and pulled the cam and replace the lifter. There may be some damage to the cam, and or the lifter. No easy way to do it either way (sorry buddy) Gary

PS. I'm booked for a solid week, gotta love 6.0 Ford's LOL

Ya I would try a magnet to get the ball out of the socket, if that doesn't work I would pull the cam and put in a new tappet or set of tappets. Pulling the cam isn't too hard and the injection pump doesn't have to come off.

If you are changing tappets, pulling the pump and tappet cover will save you time in the long run I believe. Swapping tappets is a PITA, especially the rear ones.

Ya I would try a magnet to get the ball out of the socket, if that doesn't work I would pull the cam and put in a new tappet or set of tappets. Pulling the cam isn't too hard and the injection pump doesn't have to come off.

You could easily have the injection pump and tappet cover off in an hour or less. I believe I would try it before I tore the truck down and pulled the cam.

you can't replace a tappet without removing the cam, correct?

Forrest, last time I checked you are correct!! :lolly: I was just thinking he is very curious and would want to look, still gonna have to remove the cam to change the lifter. Gary

Back