New Pushrod; Now the valve lash can't be set?!

no, I hear ya... if he could somehow fish the tip out of the lifter, that would be ideal, but I've got a feeling it's now one with the tappet :eek:

If its one with the tappet, then the pump and cover have to come off, as there would be no way to hold the tappet up in order to pull the cam out and slide the tray in.

If its one with the tappet, then the pump and cover have to come off, as there would be no way to hold the tappet up in order to pull the cam out and slide the tray in.

Those are my thoughts exactly. Start there. You could have the pump and side cover off in a couple hours. Why fight it ? My guess is you're going to be going further anyway.

This problem sounds like so many cliches...

Since I am flat broke right now and this doesnt sound easy or cheap (so I would need paid help) what is the potential harm of the following possibilities:

1-get lucky and fish out the pushrod ball and drop in the new push rod. This sounds like it might need to be done by removing the pump/tappet cover

2-use the old pushrod missing the ball (this sounds like a bad idea even to say it)

3-use the new pushrod by doing some length adjustments.

Just typing these makes them all seem like bad ideas.

I think what I am hearing you say is: removing the pump and tappet cover will only show the tip of the iceburg if there is damage; however, the damage may be limited to the ball pressed into the tappet and that MIGHT be able to be fixed through here.

It also sounds like there may be the potential for cam damage that cannot be seen by removing the tappet cover/pump?? And the tappet cannot be replaced through the tappet cover.

What't the best course: Pull the pump/cover and look or just pull the cam and replace the tappet/fix damage (provided it comes out).

If it were mine I'd pull the pump & cover like the others have said. It gives you the best chance to determine the damage. Then proceed as needed whether its just removing the tip from tappet or replacing it.

Any links or sources for the R&R of the cover/pump etc? This will be my first go around on these.

Well I pulled the pump and tappet window and saw no tappet damage...probably some weird cam wear based on where the valve was set vs. the others. Hmmm....

Well I pulled the pump and tappet window and saw no tappet damage...probably some weird cam wear based on where the valve was set vs. the others. Hmmm....

If there was extreme wear, there would be extreme valve lash and you'd never be able to get it tight enough. Earlier you said with the new push rod, the lash was too tight so I think you still need to look for something in the end of the tappet not allowing the pushrod to fully seat..... probably the old pushrod end.

Back