New "race" truck project

Sweet! I'm not saying it won't work at ALL by the way...I'm just suggesting ways to make it better ;) Man, you make progress fast!

Surgoinsville, TN.. Its been quite a project since I got it. I got to start it today and check for leaks and all.. Hopefully I'll get to test drive it tomorrow if I can get the transision tube worked out. It seems like its going to spool fairly well.

I remember seeing it on craigslist, I thought it was in rogersville. Glad to see you picked it up and are actually doing something with it rather than some kid around here just using it to blow smoke everywhere. Good luck with your project.

Speed the wastegate it opening to air its still hitting 55lbs with the 50mm wastegate. Well got to take it for a test drive... Besides the cab filling up with smoke and a small oil leak it ran pretty good... Did a 3rd gear launch at 5lbs with the drag radials and it blew the tires off for 100ft. Its seems to spool up decently quick. plenty of usable power, you sure can feel the primary kick in and it sounds like a jet. I have to figure something else out with my oil drain my like is a little to high and not allowing enough flow. The new clutch seems to be handling it all fairly well.
1112101006.jpg

Last edited:
You will get a bunch more power if you route the wastegate into the hotpipe. Reason being the only exhaust flow getting to the large turbo has to flow through the small turbo's turbine wheel. With the wastegate connected to the hotpipe, you will provide enough exhaust drive pressure to fully spool the large turbo and make more airflow which in turn will make more power. If you plan to spray a bunch of nitrous, you probably don't need to worry about fully spooling the large turbo.

What are your headbolts torqued to?

Y'know, you're a 14mm h/r, big injectors, and someone else's used fuel system away from being one of the baddest 1st gens out there.

Head bolt torque is stock for the time being. I haven't had an issue with it yet so Im just waiting for it to go anytime now. I have a new copper .68 thickness gasket on standby. Ill try and get a video of a good launch tomorrow. Thanks Jq that means alot coming from you. Its just what I love to do and Ive been fortunate enough with this project to have things come right together... Im about 4k in which I feel is still pretty reasonable and a good example of how having the right friends and equipment you can build quite a fun toy on a budget. I made my twin kit for a staggering $78 so needless to say hookups helped alot with that. Like I said from the get go Im all for the 1stgen underdog. Hearing about so few high hp trucks did nothing but fuel my interests.. I feel that with this project I can some day be right there with the big dogs, and to think its just little ole me, good group of friends, and one hell of a shop I work out of Im making it happen. I can only hope one day I'll be fortunate enough to get out of my boring desk job and into a great career as a High Performance diesel mechanic.. We'll see I guess Im on my way slowly... I graduate from Diesel Equipment mechanics school in may and dont plan on letting up any time soon.. Thank you all for keeping up with the build so far, there will definitely be more to come its a sickness I can break so I dont have much of a choice!

Last edited:
If you want to try and keep the gasket alive, I'd torque with oil to 150 lb-ft. Have a few spare bolts on hand in case some turn too much. When the time comes, don't be afraid to step up to big injectors and the 14mm pump. I have a few thousand on mine with no issues. The pump and injectors (and a lift pump) should step you up another 200 hp over where you're at now.

Just out of curiosity, did you MIG or TIG the wastegate and hotpipes? What type of piping? I am sure a lot of 1st gen guys would be curious.

It was all mig welded, I havent decided to try my hand at tig yet... I know I just need to start playing with the tig seeing as how I have one to learn on and you can make it look so good when you get it right. The pipe for conecting the wastegate to the spacer is schedule 40 steel pipe, the rest of the pipes for the hot pipe consists of about a foot of the stock down pipe shortend to make a sharper radius and 3 short radius 90*s really simple. Im goingto truck pro today to get the rest of my exhaustparts so I dont wantto pass out every time I try and drive it. I am also going to make a new oil drain flange for my primary. The one I made must not be perfectly straight or something because it just weeps slightly.

Sounds like a nice plan.

Now, that getrag will not like the abuse. Set money aside for a nice built auto or a NV4500 and 1-3/8" input and clutch...

That getrag will be fine... Well... The inputshaft won't but maybe that's just me lol. My getrag has been holding 1300rwtq for a while now and many track visits. Keep up the good work! Need a driving video!!!

No sad to say... I just went through a big move/ breakup so it really put a damper on my truck time... Im going to be at Beans this coming weekend to get it on the dyno so we"ll see what it puts down there...

Back