NGM Diesel Pro stock truck

Bad Azz Dragster

I see new records coming your way. I still think back to all the naysayers, basher's and negativity you have had in the past. WOW! Nice job! The new trans and torque converter will put you over the top. (Turbos and Monster Dragon CP3 as well.) Have a great holiday season. Brady

Some Big things have Been transpiring here lately for next years race efforts!
Im very blessed to have the support i do. :thankyou2: I'll chime in as things come together.:rockwoot:

Tear down

Tore the top end off today, found more than i expeced in the valve train

area, and all but a few push rods were bent. lifters were scarred up some, rockers wore into the bridges some, and the valve seals all were unthreaded at the top of the valve stem.....

pistons were perfect except the carbon was darker than it should have been, but i found out why, we were ingesting a lot of oil into the intake due to the turbo's leaking oil, and the intake valve seals being completely un threaded.

Bore looked good to, spray pattern was in the bowl nicely, not contact with the valves or head at all.

Short block details later this week..

Motor

I'm not sure why you would run seals on the intake valve anyhow???? With boost you are not going to "suck" any oil in the intake there champ. I'm sure with you decades of engine building skills you all ready knew that. Jeff

i was kinda concerned that there was that much wrong with such a young engine. doesnt say much for durability.

I'm not sure why you would run seals on the intake valve anyhow???? With boost you are not going to "suck" any oil in the intake there champ. I'm sure with you decades of engine building skills you all ready knew that. Jeff

Oil ingestion (of any degree) causes un-timed un controlled combustion. i guess with so many years of building these engine you knew that.....

i was kinda concerned that there was that much wrong with such a young engine. doesnt say much for durability.

It ran fine, accually, nothing serous, just a few bend push rods, it will happen when your over twice the intended RPM range of the engine....

Just so you know in the gasser world the valves are checked and lashed about every pass... mine went three months of being beat with out being touched.

We might check the lash one time for a whole weekend of racing...on a 60,000+ dollar long block. So no....lash is not checked on every pass in the gasser world.

We might check the lash one time for a whole weekend of racing...on a 60,000+ dollar long block. So no....lash is not checked on every pass in the gasser world.

Was thinking the same...

DIESEL-POWER : You built the engine for the intended higher rpm. Just need to look at other options for valve train.

Wade,

I'll at least give you props for pro activly telling what you find on a public forum... Not many would do this...

Shows your not trying to hide anything and that this venture is as much of a learning experience as anything is...

Bravo!

I'm also just glad to know, it's not only me that can tear chit up!! LOL

In some cases most wont touch it at all, but the guys i see are on it constantly, just a observation.

Mostly the small block stuff that turns over 10k are the ones checking it constantly..

Was thinking the same...

DIESEL-POWER : You built the engine for the intended higher rpm. Just need to look at other options for valve train.

Yes, i did. the valve train was/ fine it's just wearing at a faster pace than i expected, it will last all season long no issue's, again im just making observations...

Now the push rod bending, did not do any damage...

Last edited:
Wade,

I'll at least give you props for pro activly telling what you find on a public forum... Not many would do this...

Shows your not trying to hide anything and that this venture is as much of a learning experience as anything is...

Bravo!

I'm also just glad to know, it's not only me that can tear chit up!! LOL

Hey i aint skerred.....anyone that knows me personally knows i tell it the way it is. good or bad!

Besides, in some ways it's hard to know exactly what will break if you dont push what you got.......LOL

In some cases most wont touch it at all, but the guys i see are on it constantly, just a observation.

Mostly the small block stuff that turns over 10k are the ones checking it constantly..

We shift a big block at 9800 and make 3700 HP or so.

How do the push rods bend if it isnt contacting the pistons?

I have spun close to 7k and have yet to bend a push rod due to rpm. Would have to be some serious spring pressure to bend push rods w/o the valves hitting something.

How do the push rods bend if it isnt contacting the pistons?

I have spun close to 7k and have yet to bend a push rod due to rpm. Would have to be some serious spring pressure to bend push rods w/o the valves hitting something.

Flat tappet engines and roller engines have quite a spring psi difference.

Back