NHRA vs Street Outlaws

Anybody catch the news last night showing the street race I think in Cal somewhere, one car lost control and went into the crowd and killed a couple of people. They are holding the driver on murder charges. Street looked almost like a regular starting line at a drag strip, lots of rubber layed down.

Anybody catch the news last night showing the street race I think in Cal somewhere, one car lost control and went into the crowd and killed a couple of people. They are holding the driver on murder charges. Street looked almost like a regular starting line at a drag strip, lots of rubber layed down.

A regular spot for street racing would acquire rubber pretty quick. A few hot cars doing a few burnouts a piece plus some vht will make for a drag strip appearance in a hurry.

I am glad to see this street racing thing is so safe though. For a second I thought it was stupid and dangerous but I am glad I was convinced otherwise in this thread.

A regular spot for street racing would acquire rubber pretty quick. A few hot cars doing a few burnouts a piece plus some vht will make for a drag strip appearance in a hurry.

I am glad to see this street racing thing is so safe though. For a second I thought it was stupid and dangerous but I am glad I was convinced otherwise in this thread.

Who the F*** said true street racing was safe?

Who said racing was safe?

As pointed out earlier the crap on SO is safer than that crap because they do not let people line up down the road. :kick:

It truly is a no brainer.

But in MD several years back, there was a normal spot for street racing, they even used the frontage road as a return road. People lined up on both sides of everywhere. One ass clown decided to race up the return/frontage road...killed nearly ten people IIRC and injured a whole bunch more. Then the cops began patrolling the area.

It truly is a no brainer.

But in MD several years back, there was a normal spot for street racing, they even used the frontage road as a return road. People lined up on both sides of everywhere. One ass clown decided to race up the return/frontage road...killed nearly ten people IIRC and injured a whole bunch more. Then the cops began patrolling the area.

I remember when that happened. Don't think the guy was even lining up with anyone. Just being a complete jackass while thinking people were impressed by him

That is pretty much how I understood it as well.

The place in New Orleans where they street race, everyone pretty well parks and stays behind where the cars launch and run. Not all but most.

I do have a serious question.

If the driver hadn't fled the scene, would he still have been charged with murder? If so, why don't we prosecute those racers who lose a wheel and it lands on someone killing them?

Why does our judicial system work for some and not for others?

If the driver hadn't fled the scene, would he still have been charged with murder? If so, why don't we prosecute those racers who lose a wheel and it lands on someone killing them?

Typically the driver is covered via the track and organizations insurance. However if he is found liable for negligence he can be held responsible. Most race venues also ask you to sign a waiver.

I watched the show a bit this weekend, are these cars really all that strong? Don't get me wrong, 950 on motor is getting it done. But how would they fair on the track? really seems like the nitrous engines are almost doubling power with massive progressive shots

Ahh but yes its only flames contained between two barriers and a fence so its no biggie. :lolly:

I also crack up at those who claim how much more dangerous it is. Hitting a concrete barrier at 200+ mph with people behind a chain link fence for 660' or more is much better than a corn field or a curb while having no one past the starting area.

Who the F*** said true street racing was safe?

Who said racing was safe?

As pointed out earlier the crap on SO is safer than that crap because they do not let people line up down the road. :kick:

I was using sarcasm. You yourself claimed it is safer than drag racing at the track did you not? How many spectators died this week as a result of racing at the track?

I do not claim to be a saint but I am also not a character on one of the most popular tv shows in the nation. If everybody thinks the majority of street racing is done with shut down roads and zero spectators beyond the start then you are delirious. If everybody had the ability to police themselves and do everything in a safe manner we wouldn't have rules, laws, police officers, etc...

I think the idea of shutting down roads and grudge racing with no prep is badazz but I have no beef with the NHRA if they want to throw a chit fit over a show that glorifies street racing.

I was using sarcasm. You yourself claimed it is safer than drag racing at the track did you not? How many spectators died this week as a result of racing at the track?

I do not claim to be a saint but I am also not a character on one of the most popular tv shows in the nation. If everybody thinks the majority of street racing is done with shut down roads and zero spectators beyond the start then you are delirious. If everybody had the ability to police themselves and do everything in a safe manner we wouldn't have rules, laws, police officers, etc...

I think the idea of shutting down roads and grudge racing with no prep is badazz but I have no beef with the NHRA if they want to throw a chit fit over a show that glorifies street racing.

Only post I could find in this thread that said anything regarding safety vs on the track.

Ahh but yes its only flames contained between two barriers and a fence so its no biggie. :lolly:

I also crack up at those who claim how much more dangerous it is. Hitting a concrete barrier at 200+ mph with people behind a chain link fence for 660' or more is much better than a corn field or a curb while having no one past the starting area.

The only comparison I made was what the SO show did vs a track event. At no time have I defended the safety factor of actual street racing. To use your own line of questioning.

How many spectators have died at a SO event in the last 3 seasons?

Probably because one is engaged in an illegal activity that caused the accident, and one wasn't.

Back