NHRDA and 11.90 index questions

Cummins12Club

Happy Dinosaur
I am wanting to compete in NHRDA points next season and I'm curious when and how do I need to sign up, also I'm having a hard time getting ahold of an NHRA rule book and need to know what safety requirements I need to go 11.90 my biggest concern is if I need to build a cage or not, I thought 11.59 and quicker started cage requirements but rules change yearly, any help is appreciated

11.49 and quicker requires cage.
NHRDA.com as the rules for this class,
you need a snell 2005 or newer helmet, a sfi fire jacket, steel valvestems and your vehicle in good operating conditon.
As far as signing up, if you are a member, just buy the super diesel tech card at your next event.

If you have nitrous in the cab you need it ventilated through the floor etc.
Slicks require driveshaft loop at back of transmission (i havent been checked for this yet)

NADM rules are pretty good to follow and they are a little more strict...

NOTE TO SELF: If Brandon beats me, be a b!tch and rat him out for no hoop.

Go to their website. They have all the rules on there.

Aftermarket turbo= SFI jacket (they are cheap on ebay)
You won't need a cage for 11.90, but 11.49 & quicker requires a roll bar.

This is a fun class, and getting super competitive. I've ran 12.1 - 12.2 and haven't made it past the 2nd round yet. Practice your launch and reaction time. I've seen a lot of upsets from going under 11.90 and from sleeping at the line. NHRDA is a great organization and top notch in our industry.

Good Luck

bull crap I have a hoop!! noboday has bothered looking!!!
And i have runnered up at my first event with a 12.28...

My best pass of the day being a 12.20. I guess i had everyone of the line, or they couldnt quite back half like my car can.. Once they let out and try to fender race me..

Last edited:
Thanks guys appreciate the help And what do you mean by aftermarket turbo requires sfi jacket?

Per nhra regs. if you are running a non stock turbo, you need an sfi approved. fire jacket..
Summit racing.. I bought a new helmet and fire jacket for less than 200 bucks.

All you need is an SFI 3.2a/1 single layer jacket. Different tracks will interpret the rule differently, as it reads "aftermarket turbocharged". Does this mean a vehicle that didn't have a turbo from the factory (which is what I think they meant)? But some tracks interpret it to mean any non-factory turbo.

I got you, you were blowing my mind cause I was thinking what does a turbo have to do w a fire jacket lol I looked up everything on NHRDA website, dumby me bought my membership not knowing it was only for 2013:doh:

All you need is an SFI 3.2a/1 single layer jacket. Different tracks will interpret the rule differently, as it reads "aftermarket turbocharged". Does this mean a vehicle that didn't have a turbo from the factory (which is what I think they meant)? But some tracks interpret it to mean any non-factory turbo.

Rt 66 in Joliet IL reads as a non factory turbo.

Rt 66 in Joliet IL reads as a non factory turbo.

I have a request into the NHRA rules committee to clarify this. Also asked for an exception to the aftermarket axles rule at 10.99 if you have a full-floater rearend (like all factory 3/4 and 1-ton diesels).

Are drive shaft safety loops required on the front drive shaft as well? They did not specify

bull crap I have a hoop!! noboday has bothered looking!!!
And i have runnered up at my first event with a 12.28...

My best pass of the day being a 12.20. I guess i had everyone of the line, or they couldnt quite back half like my car can.. Once they let out and try to fender race me..

Who beat you? :poke:

Yeah that one guy that is poking me with a stick, who is a freaking ringer, who won the points race last year who...
Dang it! Verlon did. BTW, it was dirty what you did to the poor guy in sportsman first round. .003 on the light and .05 off dial...

It was all fun and games until my truck broke in the semi's

Super Diesel will be even more fun next year.

Will it be more fun if I beat you first round again? LOL. I couldn't resist, Verlon. You're a hard guy to beat in those 2 classes!

Back