No Heat.. Im freezin!!!

Fireman450

Daring to be diffrent!!
Hidy all.
Well here goes, Last night I went to work, my ol truck had been plugged up all day while I was snoozin, She Started like a dream in spite of the 13 Deg. temp out side and I had plenty of heat... So I went to work... Had no where to plug her back in, temp got down in single digits last night. Went out 30 min before quittin time, Fired her up, she was a bit slow, came back out after my shift was over... expected heat.... Didnt have any.:bang .. Water temp showed 175, dropped down to 160 on the trip home..bout 20 miles. Still had no heat... I checked my antifreeze eriler on in the week and all checked good. Im kinda puzzled at what could be my problem??? Any of yall seen this before?? Any input is appreciated... :thankyou2:
Fireman450

Yea, Im gonna do that tonight, but I usually atleast have some heat. This Morning I was just pushin cold air...

when was the last time you changed the thermostat could be sticking open just a little bit and leaving you in the cold but i agree cold fronts help when done right

I was thinking faulty thermostat also. I'd put a new one in and try it.

yeah check thermostat, but if the temp is going up and dropping down it shouldn't be that. It is going to be your heater core probably, do you ever smell antifreeze when you have heat on, if so I would bet on the heater core my dad's truck was doing that when he bought it, temp was getting warm and yet no heat then after a while of only a little of warm air you would smell just a little bit of antifreeze.

Even at 160* he should have hot air though. I would check the switch for your heater or something with the heater core....A stuck T-stat would make the truck run real cool, but the heater would still be fine.

Thanks Guys
Im fixin to go out an fire her up and see what is goin on, I havnt smelled any antifreeze as of yet, but Ill keep yall posted on what takes place, Thanks again. Yall are a real help.... :bow:

If you buy a new stat make sure its a Cummins OE one.
I put in a cheap Napa one when I first got my truck. I then had no heat and pulled my hair out trying to figure out why I had no heat. I decided to just pay the $35 and bought a Cummins one, and sure as SH!T, I had heat again.

My 95 is suffering from a bad t-stat, and won't hardly move off the 140 mark. I can get warm air out of it, enough to take the chill out of the cab. My 97 has a bad heater core in it, and I can't hardly get heat. The t-stat in that truck works flawlessly. It's too bad two things on the SAME truck wouldn't work right, instead of one of each.

kas83 said:
My 95 is suffering from a bad t-stat, and won't hardly move off the 140 mark. I can get warm air out of it, enough to take the chill out of the cab. My 97 has a bad heater core in it, and I can't hardly get heat. The t-stat in that truck works flawlessly. It's too bad two things on the SAME truck wouldn't work right, instead of one of each.
Can you take one off the other so you can have a warm weather truck and a cold weather truck? :hehe:

Yea Im probally goin to go get a T Stat tomarrow and see what that does. The more I think about it, Yall are probally right... As cold as its been my water temp hasnt got above 140 @ idle and dropps to 120 while driving. So I figure by the time the water makes it to my heater core its done cooled down to nothing... I put some cardboard over my grill Ive got it about 85% Covered so well see what that does, Shes' also in the shop with the heat on and the block heater plugged in, so time will tell...:blahblah1:

I hate the factory t-stat the stupid rubber either breaks apart and falls off or it slide up on the t-stat either way same result the t-stat is stuck open they suck and for 40 dollars a pop and they don't even make it a year for get that plus my parts master one I have works perfect and my heat is hotter the h*** unlike with the factory on the the temp sits at about 150 160 for a bit then goes up to 180's and drops down just my experience with the stock t-stat.

Well went out after she had been in the shop for about 4 hrs. Backed her out and let her Idle about 1200, She has a little heat now, So Im goin to get a T stat and see if that helps, Thanks again everybody...
Fireman450

JFlagg said:
Can you take one off the other so you can have a warm weather truck and a cold weather truck? :hehe:

Sure wish I could do that, I don't want to run the 97 during the winterLOL

I picked up a t-stat for my 95 from the local Cummins shop, $22. Also picked up a heater core for the 97, $55 from Carquest. Now I need it to warm up about 40 degrees, or find a heated place nearby to pull them in and work on em. Didn't quite warm up tonight on the drive home with outside temps right at 0.

Try something! This happened to me the other day! Start the truck normally and turn either the A/C or Bi-Level on at full heat and see if you get warm air coming out of the vents........yep this is a test!

Jim

got my 97 and my friend's 01 doing the same...already ordered the thermostat...interested to see if it helps...

Did you check the heater control valve? If the heater hose is cold on 1 side, warm on other, probably stuck or broken in Summer position. > B.

bosco443 said:
Did you check the heater control valve? If the heater hose is cold on 1 side, warm on other, probably stuck or broken in Summer position. > B.
i'm with you on this one. i can leave my truck idle all day and it won't get warm inside. usually takes 10 miles to get cab warmed up if not plugged in.the heater core and rad are not in commin. i say this as when it's cold my thermoastat rarley opens,which in theory is good. yet i will get plenty of heat when the engine itself creates enough heat. why do you think these things can idle all day when it's 100 degree's outside.your heater core may be plugged or getting plugged. i've seen it happen. i've already backed flushed with 30 psi of air or less and this worked great. just my 2 cents.

Back