no low end with 4k gsk

Did the throttle pedal become stiff when you added the springs? I.e. when you give it pedal under 2000rpm is the throttle pedal stiff until 2000rpms then does the stiffness go away?

im with Smokem, the springs are too loose. when i first put my 4k's in my truck felt like a slug, i had to tighten them down initial click, plus 4 more to get it to free rev to 3500. after i put my valve springs in i tightened them down 2 more clicks and it will fuel to 38-3900 under a load (driving)

You said it takes off after 2k. Maybe the afc housing is all the way back and the spring is too tight, preventing you from fueling hard until you build boost and can also explain why you see no smoke. Once you get the boost up, the afc housing slides forward and gives you more fuel. loose springs can also contribute to the problem so I wouldn't completely rule that out. When you say it takes off once it hits 2k, how far does it keep pulling?

That is incorrect.

Ok... So the afc will still limit low boost fueling even with no plate.

Isn't it bad for the pump to run no fuel plate? I read somewhere that when you do this there is a ball at the end of a shaft somewhere in the pump that when run with no plate long enough it will come off and fall to the bottom of the pump creating all kinds of destruction on the way down.

Is that correct? If it is I think everyone who does it should be aware of it...

Isn't it bad for the pump to run no fuel plate? I read somewhere that when you do this there is a ball at the end of a shaft somewhere in the pump that when run with no plate long enough it will come off and fall to the bottom of the pump creating all kinds of destruction on the way down.

That is incorrect.

You said it takes off after 2k. Maybe the afc housing is all the way back and the spring is too tight, preventing you from fueling hard until you build boost and can also explain why you see no smoke. Once you get the boost up, the afc housing slides forward and gives you more fuel. loose springs can also contribute to the problem so I wouldn't completely rule that out. When you say it takes off once it hits 2k, how far does it keep pulling?

not sure why there is no smoke at any rpm but once it hits 2k it takes off and will fuel up to 4k. Robin at Idaho diesel also tuned my pump after he installed the gsk. he knows what he is doing but the pump was off the truck when everything was being done so it might just be the springs.

Ok... So the afc will still limit low boost fueling even with no plate.

Ball/Shaft.....I'm lost! If you want to run without a plate then do so, low end fuel will have to be controlled by the AFC, if low end is no issue (sled puller) then don't run an AFC but they will still help you get up on your charger!

In a street application (guys like me) a plate and tuned AFC offer controllability without having to drive by foot, if you want to drive by foot then do so.

12V's are not that hard, you just need to learn to talk to them!

Jim

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers with my last post. I only mentioned it because I have heard it from quite a few people.

I saw a p pump for sale some time ago that was run with no plate and the casing was cracked in half. The guy selling it brought it to a pump shop to explain to him why it happened and they blamed the prolonged no-plate usage.

Was it true? Maybe, maybe not. I do not know. That pump was f*cked up for sure though. Couldn't even be used as a core.

:Cheer:

if a pump shop told them running no plate caused it, i would NOT be trusting them with my pump

To make things easy, pull the AFC foot out completely and go for a drive. If you dont have fuel then, its definately the springs.

Eric

To make things easy, pull the AFC foot out completely and go for a drive. If you dont have fuel then, its definately the springs.

Eric

Just remove the AFC and put a piece of duct tape over the hole so you don't get foreign debris in the pump and so oil doesn't make it out of the pump.

Back