Nv4500 upgrades.

An auto conversion.

Drag racing is murderous on a manual transmission, especially one as heavy as the ones we have.

An auto conversion.

Drag racing is murderous on a manual transmission, especially one as heavy as the ones we have.

Thats what I did. Full Billet Goerend 47rh.
5 years, 3 "built" NV4500s and everyone blew up 3rd gear. The synchros would be toast within the first 10,000-15,000 miles.
1-SBC OFE single, 1-SBC 3250 dual disc, 1-SBC3600 dual disc later.

On the 4th trans I just drove the truck, did some highway blasts because $1800 per trans got old and expensive FAST!

An auto conversion.

we have a winner

FWIW, all i did to mine was a valair inc clutch, single disc, and an input shaft, held over 500 rwhp with ease, but i didnt race the truck, just towed alot...

u wanna race? go auto...

Rick

auto conversions are expensive what if I swapped to a different manual transmission? like a ZF 6?

then youll destroy that

even easier than ur 4500, and those that have 5600s now are havin trouble findin parts for them, or they are super expensive..

You sir, just put three words in one sentence that do not jive...race, hp & manual Sorry...
839.gif

...unless you consider a Lenco!
059.gif

http://www.lencoracing.com/

Last edited:
i see 6 spd's all the time

and my buddy just spend $2000 @ dodge buying a jig, shims and all the specialty tools to rebuild them

yes they are expensive though.... 3 g's for a rebuilt one//

2500 as they sit...

i see 6 spd's all the time

and my buddy just spend $2000 @ dodge buying a jig, shims and all the specialty tools to rebuild them

yes they are expensive though.... 3 g's for a rebuilt one//

2500 as they sit...

To what put chinese parts in. Quad4x4 wont even rebuild the NV4500 or NV5600 due to NO parts.

Been there done that. You buddy would have been better off saving that money.

I think he gets it, you folks don't like manual trannys. *bdh* Instead of repeating the same crap over and over about getting an auto why not just say nothing. I believe the question was "What would you guys recommend for making a NV4500 bullet proof for 1/4 mile racing?" Not should I swap to an auto tranny and why?

I too am looking into strengthening my NV4500. Unfortunately there just doesn't seam to be enough demand for someone to step up and make some decent parts.

I think he gets it, you folks don't like manual trannys. *bdh* Instead of repeating the same crap over and over about getting an auto why not just say nothing. I believe the question was "What would you guys recommend for making a NV4500 bullet proof for 1/4 mile racing?" Not should I swap to an auto tranny and why?

I too am looking into strengthening my NV4500. Unfortunately there just doesn't seam to be enough demand for someone to step up and make some decent parts.

Ok...to answer his question in a reasonable manner...other than the input shaft the stock/original/oem gears, main shaft and counter shaft are the strongest available. If those are breaking aftermarket parts will not fix the problem. If the problem is the 5th gear nut coming lose and ruining the main shaft, find a new or good used oem shaft and put a new nut on to hold the gear and weld it tight. Sorry for being so rude earlier!

Ok...to answer his question in a reasonable manner...other than the input shaft the stock/original/oem gears, main shaft and counter shaft are the strongest available. If those are breaking aftermarket parts will not fix the problem. If the problem is the 5th gear nut coming lose and ruining the main shaft, find a new or good used oem shaft and put a new nut on to hold the gear and weld it tight. Sorry for being so rude earlier!

I didnt think you were rude. People just seem over sensative these days.

So the bigger input and fixing the fith gear nut is the only upgrades to help it survive? How about in my situation where im only gonna have a max of 450 rwhp? if i fix the 5th gear and put the big input do you guys think it would survive? even if i raced it or pulled it? what is it that is hard on the tranny? is it the shifting hard or just the power? i see that pullers use them still so whats so hard on them in drag racing? thanks for any input.

im not gonna be a 800+ hp truck.

just 500 HP maybe 550. I think thats plent enough power for a street driven truck.

I just want to be able to take it to the track and race it on occasion.

will the NV4500 do that for me?

So the bigger input and fixing the fith gear nut is the only upgrades to help it survive? How about in my situation where im only gonna have a max of 450 rwhp? if i fix the 5th gear and put the big input do you guys think it would survive? even if i raced it or pulled it? what is it that is hard on the tranny? is it the shifting hard or just the power? i see that pullers use them still so whats so hard on them in drag racing? thanks for any input.

From what I've seen, NV4500 failure is most time cause by roll on shifts and hard long pulls with a load behind where the engine is working in it's peak torque range for extended periods of time and also poor lubrication. There is really no HP limit, it all has to do with how the truck is driven. For racing and competition a built auto will put you dollars ahead, for towing and daily driving a manual will get the best fuel mileage.

Everyone just has this can't do attitude.

Reread the initial post...this is why everyone posted the way they did.

What would you guys recommend for making a nv4500 bullet proof for 1/4 mile racing?

There is no such thing that I know of...maybe I'm wrong!

Not saying it can't be done...if someone were to take the time to make quality aftermarket NV4500 parts they would most likely be a millionaire in no time! $.02

Last edited:
From what I've seen, NV4500 failure is most time cause by roll on shifts and hard long pulls with a load behind where the engine is working in it's peak torque range for extended periods of time and also poor lubrication. There is really no HP limit, it all has to do with how the truck is driven. For racing and competition a built auto will put you dollars ahead, for towing and daily driving a manual will get the best fuel mileage.

Reread the initial post...this is why everyone posted the way they did.

There is no such thing that I know of...maybe I'm wrong!

Not saying it can't be done...if someone were to take the time to make quality aftermarket NV4500 parts they would most likely be a millionaire in no time! $.02

:doh: there is no easy way around this damn a auto swap will be expensive I just read that a NV4500 that exceeds 600 ft lbs will likely require servicing within 100000 miles if not sooner.

Back