Nv4500 upgrades.

I think it s about 90% driver. We are running three dodges around 6 to 750hp and no prob yet. The 3500 dually always does about 30 to 40 lb launch in 4 wheel drive. The two 2500 4x4's are leavin in 3rd and the dually is spooling at the tree in 4th....I also had a first gen with around 400 hp and I drag raced with the dreaded getreg 5 speed with not one single prob. Bout forgot the 1 2500 is running sb3850 and the ex cab dually is the one around 750 and hes got the sb4200. and the other 2500 is running the sb thriple disk.$.02

Part of the enjoyment of this is trying to make things work in ways other people said could not be done so other people who face the same issue as me wanting the joys of a stick and the control but being able to drag race it as well.

I can understand that mentality, I think the same way.

I also have what I would consider to be a realistic point of view. If I can't get what I want to try done within a reasonable budget I will take a different path. Maybe it is the curse of having no money and not enough resources in my area to see some of my designs through.

as for consistency ive had no issue keeping my truck consistent.

You're going to have to define consistent. I seriously doubt your consistency with a 5 speed is good enough to win bracket races unless you don't have much for good competition in your area. If it is that good, then I doubt you will be making any 5 speeds last very long...

I can understand that mentality, I think the same way.

I also have what I would consider to be a realistic point of view. If I can't get what I want to try done within a reasonable budget I will take a different path. Maybe it is the curse of having no money and not enough resources in my area to see some of my designs through.

You're going to have to define consistent. I seriously doubt your consistency with a 5 speed is good enough to win bracket races unless you don't have much for good competition in your area. If it is that good, then I doubt you will be making any 5 speeds last very long...

My times are within 0.2

Before I decided to throw consistency out I have hit 4 runs in a row within 0.007 and won several races. 300hp was a good number for consistency.
Screw that, I wanna go fast. So I am not gonna give it any power below 3000.
BTW, I stopped counting at 20.

Before I decided to throw consistency out I have hit 4 runs in a row within 0.007 and won several races. 300hp was a good number for consistency.
Screw that, I wanna go fast. So I am not gonna give it any power below 3000.
BTW, I stopped counting at 20.

I was going to mention that it isn't nearly as hard to be consistent with a manual trans behind a motor with no power too, but I thought I would let that one go.

Been there, done that. Broke lots of transmissions and driveline parts. Decided to be competitive and go fast and play with automatics now. MUCH more fun IMHO.

So the bigger input and fixing the fith gear nut is the only upgrades to help it survive? How about in my situation where im only gonna have a max of 450 rwhp? if i fix the 5th gear and put the big input do you guys think it would survive? even if i raced it or pulled it? what is it that is hard on the tranny? is it the shifting hard or just the power? i see that pullers use them still so whats so hard on them in drag racing? thanks for any input.

The stock transmission will live with 450hp. In a drag race you won't get to 5th gear, so you don't need to worry about it. I question the larger input shaft for dragging. I only see it necessary for doing full thottle clutch dumps. You will need to upgrade to a dual disk clutch. The spring center one is much easier to shift. A spring center DD clutch is around $3,500 when I bought mine. Oh, and it comes with the larger input shaft.

Having a NV4500 in my truck would I even think of draggin with it? Hell no! That transmission is waaaaay too slow to shift! You'll put a decent mph on the sign, but drag races are won with a ET and you'll never have a good ET with a 4500. Never. If you want to drag race you'l need to switch to an auto. A good auto will be able to bang a shift faster than you could get the clutch in and that's critical to a good ET. Personally, I'd vote for a Allison conversion.

The stock transmission will live with 450hp. In a drag race you won't get to 5th gear, so you don't need to worry about it. I question the larger input shaft for dragging. I only see it necessary for doing full thottle clutch dumps. You will need to upgrade to a dual disk clutch. The spring center one is much easier to shift. A spring center DD clutch is around $3,500 when I bought mine. Oh, and it comes with the larger input shaft.

Having a NV4500 in my truck would I even think of draggin with it? Hell no! That transmission is waaaaay too slow to shift! You'll put a decent mph on the sign, but drag races are won with a ET and you'll never have a good ET with a 4500. Never. If you want to drag race you'l need to switch to an auto. A good auto will be able to bang a shift faster than you could get the clutch in and that's critical to a good ET. Personally, I'd vote for a Allison conversion.

I could get to 5th no problem. 3rd gear boosted launch, shift to 4th, then 5th. I have a 97 4x4 2ith 3.55s and 285/75/16 tires.

You can get sprung hub dual discs from SBc for $1400 for the 3250 and $1800 for 3600 and up. The 1-3/8 inputs are $500 when you buy a clutch.

I agree they are NOT meant to drag race, TOO SLOW. Been through 3 to know.

As far as the Allison, doubt it. The high HP Duramax guys are even doing Chrysler full billet transmissions because they hold. The Allison doesnt do good drag racing. For everyday driving with about 500hp and towing the Allison would be awesome!

why a allison ? i know of a lot of tucks taking the allison out and switching to a 48 re and run faster less rotating weight

I don't why you guys say a nv4500 shifts slow.

Because they do.

It sure isnt like the Tremec I had in my Mustangs.

4-rebuilt NV4500s from Blumenthals, Standard Trans and Midwest Trans.

1-SBC con OFE single (fastest shifting clutch)

1-3250 1 button SBC Dual Disc. (slowest shifting clutch)

1-3600 6 button SBC dual Disc Diaphrapm Spung. (fastest DD, but WAY slower than the single)

Goerend Full Billet 47rh. (FASTEST SHIFTING out of ALL of THEM!)LOL

Jordan id say if your going to be staying around the 500 ish hp mark an nv4500 will hold up to some drag racing. as long as your not powershifting. i have a nice trophy on my shelf.. a twisted off input shaft lol when the truck was at 350 hp.like some of the guys were saying there life expectancy wont be that long compared to someone just using there truck for towing and regular DD. after blowing up my nv4500...which i literally did everything possible to make the thing strong as possible ill be swaping an auto in.

the 4500 is the easist to rebuild. when it brakes its the cheapest. the autos brake just as easy even full built ones plus there is alot more maint. on them.

look into ATS nv4500's. Im not sure what they say they'll handle, but they must be built to a certain degree I would imagine. I beat the crap out of my reman 4500 with a con o fe and havent broken it yet. Its in a dually too, but the clutch slips just enough when you slam 4th gear to not break anything. No billet input yet. I sure hope I didnt just ginx myself.....

Back