Oil pouring from blowby after pull

cummins724

BREAKING $HIT
At the end of my pull in Grantsville, the sled hit me like a ton of bricks. Oil poured out of the blowby tube for 8ft. I pulled into the pits & no more oil coming out. Is this caused by the sled stopping me so fast? Or is this normal for high revved engines? Truck never uses oil & it was fine after the trip home. Engine has 35k miles on it. I only have a extension hose on the stock [front mount] blowby tube.

we are also havin blowby issues after a hard run - seems 60 psi boost and slightly worn rings on our truck dont go hand in hand

We put a breather tank on it to contain the blowby

I added a $7 valve cover breather from the parts store. just drilled a hole in the valve cover, put the grommet in it and then pop the breather in. ran some rubber heater hose from the breather down to the ground but never got any oil out of it. this was enough to relieve the pressure in the case without pushing oil out the front breather.

I added a $7 valve cover breather from the parts store. just drilled a hole in the valve cover, put the grommet in it and then pop the breather in. ran some rubber heater hose from the breather down to the ground but never got any oil out of it. this was enough to relieve the pressure in the case without pushing oil out the front breather.

I'll give that a try. This pull was the first time this has happened & I believe it is due to the hard stop at the end. At about 280', It looked like I was about to hit the guy running the scraper, then it was me hitting the steering wheel at 292.:hehe:

Pay close attention to it. Stacy had a similar problem that ended up being a broken ring and took out a cylinder.

Were you having a problem with losing oil at high revs before the breather mod?

I tried installing a breather w/the K&N breather filter on my tappet cover that took place of the oil cap and use a little 1" one on my case cover but with no luck. The one on my tappet cover just puked all over the cover and around the bay and so did the little one............i just extended a hose down below the front axle and put my cap back on!

Wondering if that still wasn't enough? I was wanting to do Lavon's mod with the jegs/cap/and original but was afraid of it puking all over everything!

Pay close attention to it. Stacy had a similar problem that ended up being a broken ring and took out a cylinder.

I checked the oil & it is still full. It wasn't much oil that pissed out. If it were a broken ring, wouldn't I notice excessive smoke or using oil? There is nothing out of the ordinary that I see. It never did this before at any of the other pulls or anything. Here is the video of the pull when the oil came out. When I back up, you can see the oil on the ground in front of me.

YouTube - Grantzville Mod Diesel

Mine pours oil out of the front breather tube the entire length of the track. Check it at the end and oil is at the same level.. hmmm.

so i change the oil every pull and i pay very close attention to the fluid levels...

if it last this season.. REBUILD

Yep that was the end of it.

Yea that was pretty ugly. When he left the line the he had so much crank case pressure it left a path 2 foot wide 150' long until she ran out of oil, plus 2 broke injection line:kick:

there is a lot of windage at high rpm in these things. if your rings are a little weak or worn it gets real bad. just add a few breathers to the valve cover and it should be fine. if youare wondering about how much oil you are loosing just make a small catch can. it doesnt take much oil to make it look like a bad leak. we have been running cans for years.

ted

i was curious about that too.. after my dyno runs, and donuts i did, mine puked oil out of the tube also...

there is a lot of windage at high rpm in these things. if your rings are a little weak or worn it gets real bad. just add a few breathers to the valve cover and it should be fine. if youare wondering about how much oil you are loosing just make a small catch can. it doesnt take much oil to make it look like a bad leak. we have been running cans for years.

ted

i was curious about that too.. after my dyno runs, and donuts i did, mine puked oil out of the tube also...

I changed my oil before that last pull. I just drained it & dumped 3 gallons in like usual. Even after my pull, it was 1/4" above the full mark on the dipstick. I'm thinking that it was just over full from the beginning & thats what caused it to piss out at high revs. I'm still gonna do the breather, but after I ran it hard today, it didn't leak a drop

i can see possibly gas porting the top ring on a race motor to keep the ring seated.
One might also consider a vacumm pump like we did and a puke tank.

Maybe it is time for a gapless top ring to hold pressure better

These motors without positive crankcase vacumm have to let windage loose somehow

Over full on oil is a very bad thing
If the crank is whippin the oil to froth the oil pump is also gettin aerated and ergo so are the bearings
Better to be slightly low on oil to keep the crank outa the oil as much as possible

do the breather for sure. crank case preasure is not good on anything. robs power as well. like i said it doesnt take much oil on the ground to make you want to sh!t your pants. usually looks worse than it is.

ted

i can see possibly gas porting the top ring on a race motor to keep the ring seated.
One might also consider a vacumm pump like we did and a puke tank.

Maybe it is time for a gapless top ring to hold pressure better

These motors without positive crankcase vacumm have to let windage loose somehow

Over full on oil is a very bad thing
If the crank is whippin the oil to froth the oil pump is also gettin aerated and ergo so are the bearings
Better to be slightly low on oil to keep the crank outa the oil as much as possible
Every oil change, this engine takes 3 gallon to fill line. I'll be sure to check it next time, but I guess I got extra oil in my gallon jugs or something? Its definately not antifreeze or diesel mixing in.
do the breather for sure. crank case preasure is not good on anything. robs power as well. like i said it doesnt take much oil on the ground to make you want to sh!t your pants. usually looks worse than it is.

ted

Will do. I'll pick one up this week.

mine does this also first time i pulled got to end of track and flagman said your truck is leakin oil i shat my pants then realized wut happend.it dosent happen every pull and when it does happen i check the oil and its right on the money. now when the flagman says ur truck is leakin i ask him if it is black or green then when he says black i tell him thats normal he looks at me like i have two heads:hehe: i would like to put a extra vent in my valvecover like lavon did that looks sweet.

mine does this also first time i pulled got to end of track and flagman said your truck is leakin oil i shat my pants then realized wut happend.it dosent happen every pull and when it does happen i check the oil and its right on the money. now when the flagman says ur truck is leakin i ask him if it is black or green then when he says black i tell him thats normal he looks at me like i have two heads:hehe: i would like to put a extra vent in my valvecover like lavon did that looks sweet.

I ran the dog piss out of it today & no leaks. I don't understand it, just that one time.

Back