One Mile Challenge 2013

What ratio is in the rear? That truck would DESTROY the mile as long as you had some rpm to play with.

If we were to run the mile we would likely do it on street tires as we could get a lot taller tire if needed.

What ratio is in the rear? That truck would DESTROY the mile as long as you had some rpm to play with.

It is quite a bit different than just 1/4 mile drag racing. There is no "track prep". The silver state classic is just run on a closed down highway. I tried do a boosted 4 wheel drive launch and it didn't work out so well. Rolling into it in 2 wheel drive produced the best results.

This is video of part of a run.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlASHneFLkU"]Verlon Southwicks 2006 GMC Sierra in the Silver State Half Mile Shootout - YouTube[/ame]

Greg, Will,

If you two wanna fight, lets do it elsewhere... Hell I'll even start a thread about it. Don't $hit up this guy's thread because you have history. I have too much to do at work withouht having to worry about this.

Thanks

This actually can be a good thread guys, c'mon...Greg has been staying on topic as far as I can tell, and this type of racing can bring diesel performance to a whole new crowd, the Viper, Porsche, Vette, Skyline guys....who all have money....just saying, why not encourage this type of stuff? Maybe they'll trade in their sporty for a diesel after they get whooped.

http://www.sscc.us/event_results/results-12-sscc.htm#1/2mile

That is a link to the shootout I participated in. There were a lot of high priced cars with some serious work done to them.

Driver experience has a lot to do with things to.

I think we could open some eyes if more trucks were to get involved.

When I was teching for the event I was asked if I thought my truck would break a 100mph in the 1/2 mile. I smiled and said I sure hope so.

It is quite a bit different than just 1/4 mile drag racing. There is no "track prep". The silver state classic is just run on a closed down highway. I tried do a boosted 4 wheel drive launch and it didn't work out so well. Rolling into it in 2 wheel drive produced the best results.

I figured after you got to a speed where you could lean into it would be the best. After all, a truck making 1500+ hp shouldn't have a problem getting to 160 in the mile, at least I wouldn't think it would. I would be happy to break 140 and not be missing any body panels off my old 1st gen. When is the next shootout Verlon? I am just a few hours from Ely

Last edited:
I figured after you got to a speed where you could lean into it would be the best. After all, a truck making 1500+ hp shouldn't have a problem getting to 160 in the mile, at least I wouldn't think it would. I would be happy to break 140 and not be missing any body panels off my old 1st gen. When is the next shootout Verlon? I am just a few hours from Ely

It actually just happened over the weekend. The next one will be in may of 2014. Go here for event info.

Silver State Classic Challenge Inc.

http://www.sscc.us/event_results/results-12-sscc.htm#1/2mile

That is a link to the shootout I participated in. There were a lot of high priced cars with some serious work done to them.

Driver experience has a lot to do with things to.

I think we could open some eyes if more trucks were to get involved.

When I was teching for the event I was asked if I thought my truck would break a 100mph in the 1/2 mile. I smiled and said I sure hope so.

That is awesome:lolly:

It would be fun to get out there someday.

Whoa, member fees aren't bad but the mandatory driving school plus entry fee is steep. Is that for the road race only or is it for the 1/2 and 1 mile too?

I'm not sure if you have to take the school for only the shootout's. The driving school is pretty basic. The price shot up a lot this year. I paid $400 for the road course part, not the $560.

I paid $800 for the whole event. It is quite the shindig. Several dinners and other mixers. It was a good time.

I might have to sit that one out until I finish with school. Its on my to do list for sure though. Do they let bikes compete as well?

Althere will be 5 events in houston next year, four standing miles, one half mile. Plus loring, miami and ohio. And then the desert and salt events. You have close to 20 weekends to tey and race, some of which do not require a driving school, but need proper safety gear as well, any event will require it.

there is no school at the houston event nore the Texas mile . you do have to start at the bottom and work you way up to .

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to go thru a lic process at the Mile, its free , the same people are running both events . I have a Class A lic , or over 200 mph in both Gas and diesel . I have been to this event many many times, and if you need help I will gladly give you pointers. I look at the Data log of X and it was close to 151 mph at the half mile mark, the last half mile is a slow climb out. This is where you really dig deep in the hp locker and lean on the motor hard. I used a Gear Vendor and 47R , with anywhere from a 3.0 to a 3.4 gear. I would be Leary of running a 4 wheel drive in this type of event. And the tires will be very short side walls I’m looking for a few pictures of the mile and video’s

Greg....don't flood this thread with 50 pictures of crap you worked on 5 years ago. We've all seen them 100 times already. Post pertinent information but don't turn it into another Hogue infomercial. It will be deleted.

You were warned. If you have useful information then by all means post it. Pictures and videos flooding a thread just to feed your own narcissism are unnecessary and will be removed...period.
This is also not the place to air your grievances about the staff or any perceived wrongdoing towards you. Posts like those will also be removed.
Please...continue to add valuable information as you see fit. Save the rest for your paid vendor forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
here is the fastest diesel in the mile , 205

The Guy in the Blue had , whick is a 300 mph club at bonniville is names Sparkie , he was giving us a few tips on aero,

DSCN0862.jpg

and here is the fastest car , I beleive close to 270

2323232327Ffp7333C93Enu3D3243B3E963B3E8443EWSNRCG3D37843C3A83A38323Bnu0mrj.jpg

Last edited:
A Duramax just went 147mph in the half mile, on the limiter for about the last 800 feet....Greg, you still have the diesel truck record at the Texas Mile? Might be in Jeopardy! :)

I was about to post this. Im assuming you were at the I Wanna Go Fast event? I think I have a video of the truck.

sounds like that truck will run , I might have to get a truck back down there , I have a Chevy Love spotted for the cruze motors. I think we will get close to 400 hp out of this little motor. I have the parts out beng made now , Pistons rods and Cam's Now that EFI live gives us the ability to tune it

Back