One thing led to another. Build thread.

I don't buy that whole rear outgrowing the fronts thing....if you look at a pass that Bobby made, it looks like the rears have a lot more weight on them and the sidewall is flexing a lot more even at the 1/8th mile, which would make it the opposite, the rollout on the rears would be less than the front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztUwfLQPEao

I've always assumed you'd want the front to run faster to keep everything straight.

Yes, correct assumption and what needs to happen during take off. To simplify my earlier post. At some point in the pass you will not need the front to continue to accelerate the mass of the truck. With the sprag, once the rear begins outrunning the front, you no longer have the front pulling.

I don't buy that whole rear outgrowing the fronts thing

Dang JQ, glad I ain't charging much for it. lol You are correct. Did you see the crash video?? Simply watching Bobby's vids doesn't disprove physics. lol

I don't buy that whole rear outgrowing the fronts thing....if you look at a pass that Bobby made, it looks like the rears have a lot more weight on them and the sidewall is flexing a lot more even at the 1/8th mile, which would make it the opposite, the rollout on the rears would be less than the front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztUwfLQPEao

his whole setup on that pass is weird anyway.

I spent some time looking up info on the Miss Misery set up. From the info I could find, he is running an scs transfer case with some sort of clutch driving the front axle.

Can anyone direct me to more in depth info??

A fellow mud racer told me he had spoken with Bobby about the thing seemingly getting loose down the track. I'm sorta talking out my a$$ here, but, I think something was happening with the aerodynamics of the truck (Brick lol).

I spent some time looking up info on the Miss Misery set up. From the info I could find, he is running an scs transfer case with some sort of clutch driving the front axle.

A fellow mud racer told me he had spoken with Bobby about the thing seemingly getting loose down the track. I'm sorta talking out my a$$ here, but, I think something was happening with the aerodynamics of the truck (Brick lol).

Bobby runs a moser wavetrac in his front differential. The reason he wrecked the truck because he was running a radial tire in the front and a slick in the rear. Slicks grow at a much faster rate then a radial causing the rear to outrun the front putting him into the wall.

BD9E79BB-2717-446E-83EA-5C852AB69792_zpscmxvvp83.jpg

D50CDA68-803F-4671-AB56-9E708FB50115_zpsi63bvzxj.jpg

Yes, the case itself is and or appears to be an scs derivative. It appears that the output for the front and rear shafts are shared on the driven shaft. I'm not sure what's going on with the input??? It could be a transmission???

Yes, the case itself is and or appears to be an scs derivative. It appears that the output for the front and rear shafts are shared on the driven shaft. I'm not sure what's going on with the input??? It could be a transmission???

I'll try to dig up some more pictures.

Upon further inspection of the pictures this morning and taking what info I gathered about a clutch driving the front end, the orientation may go like this.

In the top picture, suppose the coupling and yoke on the common shaft is the driven shaft, this would make the transmission looking deal driving the front shaft. The flange on this trans deal is what's throwing me a bit, but, it could be a mounting point to the chassis. If this is the case, then this would jive with the info I found.

Now, why in the world would you want to clutch the front drive?? I could understand if you were going to be driving some street miles.

Another consideration could be this transmission looking deal is externally very similar to a B&J trans with some exceptions. Maybe it is possible Bobby knows of the sprag (over running clutch) and could only get it to work with a simplified B&J set up.

You know, I'm eventually gonna have to call Mr. Doddrill to get the scoop. If he is truly clutching the front drive, I have found some of his handling problems.

The reason he wrecked the truck because he was running a radial tire in the front and a slick in the rear.

I'm guessing the radial tire on the front was for better handling?? It would have to be a scary feeling going 150+ trying to steer with full on drag slicks.

This is his post on the subject.

Anyone think he'll go 4.0's?

5C0E293A-578A-41FD-9C7E-E38A9E5F8D8E_zpsrh95frdf.png

I think he needs to get to a non-sketchy track, then it could be fast. 4.0's is a big jump, but a 4 cyl just went 4.18 in Outlaw 10.5 at the Streetcar Supernationals, so ya never know!

I'm guessing the radial tire on the front was for better handling?? It would have to be a scary feeling going 150+ trying to steer with full on drag slicks.

It must not be too scary beings Seth Sullivan traps 165+ with 4 wheel slicks. most of the 7 second 180+mph imports are 4 wheel slick as well

^^I'll take that bet and give you to the end of next year. $100.

No bet. 4.0 is the top of the 10.5 field...I'd say that would be hard to pull off even if he was 2wd and not trying a bunch of wacky stuff.

I think he's still the fastest 4x4 at 4.77, although a Skyline in Russia (of all places) just went 4.87 with a 1.15 60ft.

It must not be too scary beings Seth Sullivan traps 165+ with 4 wheel slicks. most of the 7 second 180+mph imports are 4 wheel slick as well

Seth said he's fine with sticking to 1/8th mile racing the way his truck traps. He said he'd be pretty nervous going 170mph in it.

Seth said he's fine with sticking to 1/8th mile racing the way his truck traps. He said he'd be pretty nervous going 170mph in it.

Seth made a 1/4 mile pass at Indy this year, unfortunately he did not notify the tower that he would be making a 1/4 mile pass so he did not get any mph or ET but he was def moving on. I asked him how it felt and he said "pretty smooth really."

Back