One thing led to another. Build thread.

If you ever have to remove that sound material again, try using a block of dry ice. Let it sit on the material for a minute or two, then smack it with a dead blow hammer. It will shatter off really clean. A little brake cleaner after that and perfect paint is left.

If you ever have to remove that sound material again, try using a block of dry ice. Let it sit on the material for a minute or two, then smack it with a dead blow hammer. It will shatter off really clean. A little brake cleaner after that and perfect paint is left.

Wow! Very cool. I never thought of that!

Wow! Very cool. I never thought of that!

I have never heard that either... Will have to give it a try next time it comes up. Thanks for sharing the tip!

I've done the same thing with CO2. Pull a line off the welder and open the bottle for a second to freeze the material then smack it with a soft hammer and it chips right off. Works like a dream :)

The interior is a lot cleaner without the insulation on the floor. It still needs a good final cleaning before the seats go back in.

848685F7-9C45-4CF8-850A-71641498E7ED_zpsrdn7lian.jpg

Cory got the 4 link brackets tacked in place after we determined what the pinion angle should be. He made a really nice jig to keep the inner c's, outer knuckles, and spindles all in line as well. After making a decision on caster, the c's were welded on and we reassembled the narrower axle under the truck for a final test fit. Now that we know the front axle width, we are ordering parts for the rear axle build.

9B7C1A14-7226-469F-826C-476841D91DAA_zpsg6ugtrnq.jpg

7D982328-C9FF-4FB7-B5D5-6C3513CE2532_zpshgu8jrit.jpg

Is the rear track width going to be identical to the front or narrower? Identical would allow 2wd burnouts to lay fresh rubber for both sets of tires, but narrower might allow more traction if the fronts hop and make rough spots on the pad.

Is the rear track width going to be identical to the front or narrower? Identical would allow 2wd burnouts to lay fresh rubber for both sets of tires, but narrower might allow more traction if the fronts hop and make rough spots on the pad.

It's 2" narrower in the rear to match body reveal. I'm not sure what the plan will be for burnouts. Radials don't need much of a burnout.

What kind of transfercase/ tcase setup are you using? Maybe I missed that part. Great build man, can't wait to see the finished product.

What kind of transfercase/ tcase setup are you using? Maybe I missed that part. Great build man, can't wait to see the finished product.

I'm considering an enclosed chain drive, but i'm not sure if I want to spend $2000 to lose 60 pounds or so. I have to decide before i have the driveshafts made. The chain drives are unproven on the drag strip, but then again, so are a few other things we're going forward with.

I'm considering an enclosed chain drive, but i'm not sure if I want to spend $2000 to lose 60 pounds or so. I have to decide before i have the driveshafts made. The chain drives are unproven on the drag strip, but then again, so are a few other things we're going forward with.

Ahh gotcha. A lot of mud racers and trucks alike i've seen guys are making they're own chain drive setups using pillow blocks inside a machined (typically non billet aluminum) case and getting correct shafts and gears etc. Close friend of mine has a mud truck and we learned quite a bit at the last event we went to. Some of these trucks are making around 2000hp. Granted gearing is much different, tire size, etc. but if it works for them you never know, might hold up for you. Good luck either way man, impressive build.

I went to a no prep race at the Kingdon airport on New Year's day that was pretty cool. About 100 cars, and they had a "street car" shootout with only basic rules like mufflers. My buddy Steve in his Mustang won it. He has a blown 604 Ford that made 1558rwhp, but he actually added weight in the trunk for the shootout! Came in at 4100lb.

Anyways, I thought of your truck when I was there. The faster cars (8's or better) were hazing the tires at the 1/8th mile. Seems like your truck would be perfect for that type of stuff! Probably weigh less than Steve's Mustang too lol.

He grudge raced Krazy Kelly's single turbo Z a couple times too, that was pretty wild! Z was motoring him down when Steve lifted.

Anyways, just some motivation!

Insanely awesome stuff! Just found this thread. Since I now have your industrial pistons, do you have some secret sauce in the works? I didn't see a new setup mentioned. Thanks again for them BTW! And this took me about 3 hours to read all this cause I had to keep mopping up the drool!

Happy new years folks!

I went to a no prep race at the Kingdon airport on New Year's day that was pretty cool. About 100 cars, and they had a "street car" shootout with only basic rules like mufflers. My buddy Steve in his Mustang won it. He has a blown 604 Ford that made 1558rwhp, but he actually added weight in the trunk for the shootout! Came in at 4100lb.

Anyways, I thought of your truck when I was there. The faster cars (8's or better) were hazing the tires at the 1/8th mile. Seems like your truck would be perfect for that type of stuff! Probably weigh less than Steve's Mustang too lol.

He grudge raced Krazy Kelly's single turbo Z a couple times too, that was pretty wild! Z was motoring him down when Steve lifted.

Anyways, just some motivation!

I wanted to go to Kingdon, but we were out of town for the holiday. I would definitely take my truck to a race like that. I'm not sure how it would do, but it sounds like fun. We're the cars getting loose at the 1/8 turbo?

Insanely awesome stuff! Just found this thread. Since I now have your industrial pistons, do you have some secret sauce in the works? I didn't see a new setup mentioned. Thanks again for them BTW! And this took me about 3 hours to read all this cause I had to keep mopping up the drool!

Happy new years folks!

Thanks man. I do have an engine build planned. It'll be a sleeved 6.7 block, stock pistons, 6.7 crank, and a ported head with a side draft manifold. It isn't anything radical at all, but more geared to making the best out of running a single charger and higher rpm. I'll let the builder comment on what exactly he's doing if he wants to.

Last edited:
...just keeps getting better. Very nice everything going on here.

You & JQ gonna make the long haul to schieds??? ;);)

Just a thought, do you know anyone close to ya who would have a couple sets of 33" bigger diggers or super scoops?? I'd love to see ya run 'er on a 300' bed of sand.

Thanks man. I do have an engine build planned. It'll be a sleeved 6.7 block, stock pistons, 6.7 crank, and a ported head with a side draft manifold. It isn't anything radical at all, but more geared to making the best out of running a single charger and higher rpm. I'll let the builder comment on what exactly he's doing if he wants to.

We are thrilled to be a part of this build JP!

Some of you know but for those that do not know, I started a business (Kingspeed Race & Repair) with a couple of really talented people specializing in engine work and fabrication. We are setting up JP with a virtually identical short block as to what I ran in my drag truck last year. We use a roller cam profile and a compression ratio that we feel works really well with a single turbo CR as well as addressing a bunch of oil related issues we have found at higher rpm's drag racing.

The potential this truck has is unreal and I really can't wait to see it out there racing!

I wanted to go to Kingdon, but we were out of town for the holiday. I would definitely take my truck to a race like that. I'm not sure how it would do, but it sounds like fun. We're the cars getting loose at the 1/8 turbo?

No, there were a few nitrous cars that were 10s or 9s and were trying to hit a kit at like 400 feet or so and were hazing the tires. There was a low 12 second diesel and a awd Evo that probably ran 10s that did pretty well. I'll get some pictures up somewhere and PM 'em to you or something, don't want to clutter up your thread too much.

Edit: 9s or 10s no bottle

Last edited:
We are thrilled to be a part of this build JP!

Some of you know but for those that do not know, I started a business (Kingspeed Race & Repair) with a couple of really talented people specializing in engine work and fabrication. We are setting up JP with a virtually identical short block as to what I ran in my drag truck last year. We use a roller cam profile and a compression ratio that we feel works really well with a single turbo CR as well as addressing a bunch of oil related issues we have found at higher rpm's drag racing.

The potential this truck has is unreal and I really can't wait to see it out there racing!

What oil issues have you found?

Back