opinions on newer junk

dieselbeef

dick doggin
trying to sell the freightliner..and the 1500 ...

2018 3500 for a one truck family...all these vehicles are a pita..

whatty yall think about m..its a 4x4 auto crew longbed....55000$ with 40000mi..white...I like it...cept the price...and def fluid...

is it gonna haul my 36 ft toyhauler..loaded about 15000lbs..at 70 mph its a bumper pull

I just bought a new leftover 19 ram 3500 and I can say it’s quickly becoming my favorite to drive, pulls my 43’ fifth wheel well in comparison to my 17 f250 and my 16 duramax. Overall been a good truck, and the dealer had 15k off sticker so it was surprisingly affordable.

so roundabout what..60k?

the trucks here seem exp over what I see online in other states...its fl..srw seem higher than duallys too

I say bump up to the 4500/5500 class, and you're looking at drw already right? If they are considerably cheaper elsewhere, I hear flights are cheap now, might be worth going somewhere else to buy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

trying to sell the freightliner..and the 1500 ...

2018 3500 for a one truck family...all these vehicles are a pita..

whatty yall think about m..its a 4x4 auto crew longbed....55000$ with 40000mi..white...I like it...cept the price...and def fluid...

is it gonna haul my 36 ft toyhauler..loaded about 15000lbs..at 70 mph its a bumper pull

15K lbs is nothing, some of the stuff we hook to our dually's is almost double that weight, and still bumper hitch. You will like the newer trucks, EVERYTHING will be better than the Freightliner, other than brakes and tires.

Chris

Last edited:
smartest would be to buy a 5500 chassis cab. Driveline is night and day bigger nevermind brakes and tires. A gooseneck flatbed is more useful than a pickup box any day and still will have rear receiver hitch capability. Flat frame rails give you better wheelbase choices and more customer equipment mounting options. in the 20 model trucks they have gotten really creative with the interior equipment selections and you can really drill down on any feature you want-not like the pickups that require a higher trim level to get some of the driver aids, big screen etc.

Ok, so we've established Gary is getting a 5500 cab and chassis model. Now, which color? Personally I vote red! We're here for you Gary!
I know this may be sacrilegious to some, but have you looked at the gas versions? Last I looked, was about $8-10k less than a diesel. I drove a 3500 cab and chassis few yrs ago, 6.4 hemi, 4.44 gears, 6spd auto. Felt strong, similar cruising rpms to my VP 6spd with 3.55 gears.

Why beat your brains out in a 5500 when a 3500 will do everything needed? Unless you are dragging that 15K EVERY day, a chassis cab is serious overkill.

Our Gooseneck weighs 11,800lb EMPTY, and we will load whatever we want and pull it with our 3500's. I went to Wisconsin 2 years ago at 48K gross on that same 3500 and had zero trouble keeping up with the 750hp Pete I was following, and the brakes were plenty adequate. Would a 5500 been better, maybe, but once we got the Wisconsin and drove the truck around all week, it would have beat the snot out of us even worse than the 3500.

I just don't see the extra money for the bigger truck if you aren't using it. But, used to do the same things with my 1995 3500 Dodge, so maybe it's me.
Chris

Just saying go 4500/5500 since he already thought he needed a medium duty. Get down to it, some small tweaks and his VP44 truck should handle that load no issue. I was regularly around 20k when pulling both tractors, and did great when I finally put the right turbo on.
We all know he's just being stubborn and looking for excuses to spend money!

A gooseneck flatbed is more useful than a pickup box any day and still will have rear receiver hitch capability.

I second this all day long (if you do more than pickup groceries). After going to a flatbed I'll never go back to a regular bed.

this truck will also be at dd...srw 3500 is what I'm looking for..one truck to do it all...my toyhauler is long but not heavy..if its 18 loaded id be surprised...

don't need bells and whistles..prefer a fleet truck..no flatbed for me since its my daily also...

hell here in fl 51k wont get ya a 3 yr old truck with 50k on it

and I could do it with the flatbed jake..the vp has enough power..but I need a 4 door crew...I ever get me a woman and the kids too big for the back now...hence the only reason for an upgrade

the fl is in shape now...adding sideboxes..nobody wants to buy the pos so I'm gonna run it til I sell it or not....all its good for is the toyhauler tho..

don't want 3 trucks...the fl is only a camper hauler...the flatbed.vp truck is the work truck on the ranch...and the 1500 gasser is my commuter truck..50 in a yr already...

anyone got any better ideas I'm game...its all a huge money loss any way I slice it but maybe the maint will go down....

What, not man enough to handle a rig with hips every day? Even ol squirrel face does that!

so identical trucks...6.7 gas or the diesel....10 grand difference....on the fence...towing once a month...either one will likely do all I will need....save the 10 grand?

I know this may be sacrilegious to some, but have you looked at the gas versions? Last I looked, was about $8-10k less than a diesel. I drove a 3500 cab and chassis few yrs ago, 6.4 hemi, 4.44 gears, 6spd auto. Felt strong, similar cruising rpms to my VP 6spd with 3.55 gears.

I'd go gas....if you want to drop gears on every hill with your RV. Scraaareeeew that. :D

What, not man enough to handle a rig with hips every day? Even ol squirrel face does that!

I just can't force myself to take off the training wheels.

the 6.4 gasser is rated for 17000..the diesel is 19500ish....my trailer is about 15ooo I'm guessing.....rated for 16...

making even on my trade...washing it...financing the whole 50 k is 1000 a month =/-...**** that..even the fl and the flatbed don't cost that sitting there...wtf

Back