P-pumped First Gen Build Thread

Update: purchased a 62/68/.91 and a 44mm JGS external gate from Taylor. Now to decide between Suncoast or DTT for trans parts and it's on!

Are you building the tranny yourself with a DTT or Suncoast kit? Or buying a complete tranny?

Just curious....

Are you building the tranny yourself with a DTT or Suncoast kit? Or buying a complete tranny?

Just curious....

I'm having Cory Dow build my tranny but I don't know whether to use Suncoast or DTT parts. A billet input and a full rebuild with upgraded parts is around $1600 from both companies. I'm using a DTT billet flex plate and their billet triple disk torque converter, so I figured maybe it'd be best to use all DTT stuff but I don't know. Any thoughts guys?

I correct myself, I'm getting a Turbosmart external gate, not a JGS. Does anyone have an opinion on who I should go with for tranny parts? Suggestions are much appreciated. It's between Suncoast or DTT.

I was going to go with suncoast, but then called DPC and he hooked me up with everything in one shot..

Well I decided to call DPC and Phil hooked me up with a billet input cheaper than anyone else could. He then sent me TRE Diesel Performance for all the tranny parts and Tim over there hooked me up good. I have all the parts ordered and headed my way. Can't wait to get a tranny in her that will hold some power instead of slipping. Then it's time for the twins :evil

Well I decided to call DPC and Phil hooked me up with a billet input cheaper than anyone else could. He then sent me TRE Diesel Performance for all the tranny parts and Tim over there hooked me up good. I have all the parts ordered and headed my way. Can't wait to get a tranny in her that will hold some power instead of slipping. Then it's time for the twins :evil

told you man he would hook you up. one of the few people that doesnt make you buy a billet flex plate. sells you one thats certified and cheaper.

told you man he would hook you up. one of the few people that doesnt make you buy a billet flex plate. sells you one thats certified and cheaper.

Yeah he was awesome to work with. And he hooked me up with Tim at TRE who was the same way. I already have a DTT billet flex plate that I bought earlier. Figured it would be nice insurance.

So I'm getting ready to have the 47rh built and installed and was wondering if anyone knows if I will have to shorten my driveshaft or not? I would imagine so since the engine to tranny adapter plate is thicker to accommodate for the lockup converter.

You need to shorten it.
re drill holes in frame OR crossmember to move it back 1.5 inchea.
modify 4x4 linkage slightly
Cut hole bigger in floor for shifter. Factory boot still works just barely..
lengthen front driveshaft.
add ground switch for lock up on demand
add pressure switch for automatic lockup.
get different trans dipstick. I used a lokar.

oh ya buy the beat darn flexplate ever.

I ate two newer 47re versions and certified.
I run a bd now..

Curious to see how yours runs as my build will be similar

I have stage 5 colt cam
215 built pump
nitrous
valve springs
pushrods
and a 240gph fass sitting on the bench.

oct early is build month

You need to shorten it.
re drill holes in frame OR crossmember to move it back 1.5 inchea.
modify 4x4 linkage slightly
Cut hole bigger in floor for shifter. Factory boot still works just barely..
lengthen front driveshaft.
add ground switch for lock up on demand
add pressure switch for automatic lockup.
get different trans dipstick. I used a lokar.

oh ya buy the beat darn flexplate ever.

I ate two newer 47re versions and certified.
I run a bd now..

Curious to see how yours runs as my build will be similar

I have stage 5 colt cam
215 built pump
nitrous
valve springs
pushrods
and a 240gph fass sitting on the bench.

oct early is build month

Well it's a 2 wheel drive so I won't have to worry about the 4x4 stuff, but that other stuff is good to know. I got a DTT billet flex plate so I'm good there. I can't hardly wait any longer but Cory is really swamped at work so the tranny and twins are on hold until he gets a little more time on his hands. All parts are in and we're ready to go. I'll update everyone once the build gets started again.

Jared

Update time. Dropped the truck off at the Dow's shop last Sunday. I hope to be at Fred's Truck Drags next week Sunday. Here's what's been done so far:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381611421.435348.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381611583.699330.jpg

47rh was disassembled and cleaned. It was in really good shape which I'm very happy about since I had no idea on it's mileage or condition when bought.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381611665.603964.jpg

Unfortunately, I was lucky enough to have an aluminum planetary in my tranny. A factory steel unit will go in to replace it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381611800.954794.jpg

The old tired a518 was pulled out

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381611856.190923.jpg

Tear down and getting ready for the twins!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381611896.502668.jpg

When purchased, my Steed didn't have a flange on it for an external gate so Cory cut a hole in it andwelded one in. I'm very happy with the quality. It should do great.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381612035.350489.jpg

The s363 was mounted and a custom intercooler pipe was fabricated and put in place since the turbo has a 3rd gen cover on it.

I will be updating this thread as the truck continues to progress through it's build and I'll let you all know what it does at the strip. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks.

Jared

Back