pictures of 12v intercooled piston compared to nonintercooled piston

ok so i need .100 valve reliefs. how much are you suggesting i take off the block and match my marine pistons to keep my compression above 16 or higher? thanks for this help i appriciate it.

these are standard marine pistons out of the 330hp motor i picked up. teflon coated sides. they only had 145 hours on them so im planning on just using these instead of buying others. not that any of that matters but i want to mill the top and block to raise the compression to above 16 while taking into account the valve reliefs aswell.

Last edited:
0.100" would decrease bowl size ~ 8.6cc for a total ~ 44.4cc, that with 0.100" pockets would be close.

at that point it would stay at the 15.5-1(ish) if im understand that what your saying is .100 milled off the top of the piston and block down the same would be a wash with the valve reliefs. so you think if i went to .150 that should put me slightly above 16-1?

10 mm from the top of the ring to the crown on my 98 piston.

I'm still trying to decide on whether I should keep my stock piston or go for an aluminum one with a larger bowl. I'm not really after big power, just an efficient/smooth motor.

Added it also, technically it is described as an Industrial piston.

Jeff, to your knowledge was your motor ever rebuilt or do some of these industrial pistons make their way into factory automotive applications from 96-98?

New factory mahle pistons just released a very short time ago.
2011-10-06_20-54-07_381.jpg

2011-10-06_20-53-31_809.jpg

They been out for a some time at leat 2 years that I know of.

Here is the general info Eric gave me on the piston Brad posted;

Flycuts 0.150" deep
Bowl volume w/pockets 59.2cc
Estimated CR 14.0:1

Jeff, to your knowledge was your motor ever rebuilt or do some of these industrial pistons make their way into factory automotive applications from 96-98?

My Grandpa bought the truck brand new.. I'm the only one that's been into the motor. USA block and head, came with England rods and those pistons.

After looking back through it, there may have been a piston change for the model year '98 12v, I'm looking into it a bit more.

After looking back through it, there may have been a piston change for the model year '98 12v, I'm looking into it a bit more.

Interested to know what you find. Curious if any made it into 96-97 trucks.

Dang, that's crazy how far the ring land is down.....no wonder why my pistons haven't melted yet.

Back