Please help with VP44? problem

RedPuller

Diesel Inside
So I helped a friend change out his supposedly faulty VP44 on his '01 this weekend but after the swap it was running much worse than before. Before the swap the symptoms according to him were no speed or power over 50mph, real sluggish and low boost. Fuel pressure was @ 9psi according to him, i thought that was considerably low.
Swapped the pump and also installed an AirDog 100 on it. Swap went fine but not only did it take forever to start up, killing the batteries and bleeding lines left n right, it idles fine, no misses but blows a lot of white smoke and will only rev up in neutral but won't budge in drive or with load on it.....there is also a really loud ticking noise coming from the remanned injection pump.....
When we got it started it acted like it was searching for idle, revving up and down in waves with no one touching the pedal. I am thinking APPS sensor but after we hooked scanner up to it, only code was low voltage to MAP sensor, if I remember correctly. I will check bak with friend for sure but anyone got any possible answers for now?
Did my friend get a faulty pump? Maybe a Hot Rod VP by mistake??:hehe:

Thanks guys,

Joe

another thing that may have happened is when you installed the pump gear either the gear jumped a tooth on the cam gear, or the keyway in the pump shaft fell out and now the timing isn't where it should be.

Not sure how gear coulda skipped a tooth since gear just sits in case after its pulled......after install, I took a mirror n could see keyway in groove so it definitely didn't fall out.......my friend called place he got injection pump from n they said it is most likely the MAP sensor not hooked up but he's got it at the dealer right now, so we'll see what they say......

Joe

Doesn't pump just produce the injection pressure n injection timing is controlled by injectors?

No, the pump does it all, timing, pressure and fuel quantity. The electronics tell it when to do all of that.

Not sure how gear coulda skipped a tooth since gear just sits in case after its pulled......after install, I took a mirror n could see keyway in groove so it definitely didn't fall out.......my friend called place he got injection pump from n they said it is most likely the MAP sensor not hooked up but he's got it at the dealer right now, so we'll see what they say......

Joe

i had a friend and his truck was running really sluggish and wouldnt get out of its own way... so we changed pumps and it still did the same thing.... so we swapped map sensors with a junk motor he had and it was like a totally different truck then.. hopefully that works for you.... i think there like 80 dollars for a new one

Thanks for the replies guys, I am very certain gear didn't skip a tooth nor did keyway fallout, it idles just fine just has tons of white smoke n won't rev up with load, only in neutral......my friend is gonna try the MAP sensor n see how it goes........acts like something is just missing from equation like connection is missing.....

Joe

This sound like a non-hooked-up MAP sensor, does he have a smoke switch? Did a wire get cut leading to the MAP sensor?

I had this problem before, was my MAP sensor unplugged... very LOW power, wouldn't barely get above 35MPH... lots of black smoke though. Sounds like MAP sensor and not the pump, but could be the pump.

Still waiting to hear what the dealer has said but with the only code being thrown having to do with the MAP sensor, thats most likely the culprit from what I have read and what you guys are posting. Where is the MAP sensor on the '01s?? I looked everywhere but could not find such a sensor. :doh: The only sensors I remember removing were on the fuel filter housing cuz we installed that AirDog 100.....one is water in fuel sensor and other is pressure? Temp? Sorry for my 24 valve ignorance, I know they are very similar but I'm a 12 valve guy. :)

Joe

Haha not a problem, it's right next to the IAT sensor if you know where that's at, well it is on my 99.

It's below the fuel filter housing I do believe... and directly above the stock lift pump that's on the side of the block if I remember right...

It may have gotten in your way. The sensor plugs directly into the side of the block on my 99, the MAP sensor screws in but the connection is just a small connector, could have fallen out during all that mess.

That is a defainte possibility as we removed a lot of stuff down there, I bet it got unplugged......I will relay message. :)

Thanks, Joe

So, my buddy just told me the dealer says the MAP sensor code has gone away n now a keyway code has come up n his tech says the keyway that was with the engine should be the one used?? I was told that the keyway that comes with the new pump is the one that was supposed to b used.......isn't the keyway stamped for the pump that its on??

The dealer tech also says the MAP sensor is hooked up n working fine....?? :confused:

Last edited:
If I remember right I had to put the old key that was in my old pump on my new one...

You got a bad pump. Its physically impossible for the gear to skip a tooth with the front cover on. You are supposed to use the keyway that comes with the pump. I've done over a dozen of these things. I've had a bad pump before. It happens.

You got a bad pump. Its physically impossible for the gear to skip a tooth with the front cover on. You are supposed to use the keyway that comes with the pump. I've done over a dozen of these things. I've had a bad pump before. It happens.

But you have a better pump now...LOL

x2...those keys are specific to each pump...the pumps require offset keys to match the pumps individually.

Back