Project Leftovers: The Rise of Frankenstein

I'm guessing you can hang weight, but if you did, you'd have to have it for all events just like your tires have to stay the same.

So even if you got 1st in pulling, you'd be at such a disadvantage at the strip along with the skidsteer strip, oh and the mileage if it counts for points this year (I don't think you could be on public roads even).

Tire selection is probably a more important factors for DPC considering you need to choose one that will hook at the strip and on the sled track.

As cornelius said the weight would probably have to stay on at all times so it would kill you in more events than it would help.

Lavon killed the sled event without weight but he also had gobs of power and an 8000lb crew cab long bed truck so that might be a mute point.

I would make sure it's up to the task pulling a sled. That's where it seems a lot of people gain ground. Really get it to hook good

I would make sure it's up to the task pulling a sled. That's where it seems a lot of people gain ground. Really get it to hook good

agreed tire and gear choice will also play a big part in it. Don't want to try a hero gear and snuff the chargers early

I haven't heard of bgd before, have you guys used them before? Good products?

Are you sticking with the bolt on shelf? If you are parting ways with it give me a heads up! (Pun intended)

Obviously kind of committed now, but if this thing sticks around for awhile two inlets on the passenger side of a horizontally mounted cooler would free up a lot of space and be easier to plumb with the exit being located on the drivers side.

I assume we will see a 47/48 variant behind this beast? I assume this is destined to have a 13mm as well? Good progress guys!

Update: Minor Set Back

During the first warm re-torque on the 12mm extreme studs, disaster struck when one of the longer rocker tower studs broke-off deep in the engine block. Since torque was not above the manufacturer recommended 150 ft-lbs when the stud broke, it looks like a material flaw in the stud created a weak spot in the large coarse threads. Extreme Studs do not have rolled threads like other brands so this also likely contributed to the failure.

After many attempts to retrieve the stud, including left handed drill bits, carbide drills bits, welding rod fusion, etc. the stud was deemed un-removeable for a home mechanic and the entire motor has been removed.

IMG_4374_zps7cfc1120.jpg

On the bright side, we get to start over with a fresh seasoned block and build a more robust motor setup with appropriate upgrades including billet rods and 14mm head studs from a different manufacturer. What's ironic is the 14mm head studs were already in the spare parts bin along with the slightly used R&R billet rods, both from another project. This truck continues to follow the Project Leftovers Theme!!!

For those concerned with the build timeline, the goal is to get the motor finished ASAP to ensure plenty of time for testing and tuning prior to the DPC ballots/voting period that will begin in February.

Last edited:
Same exact stud failure happened to me too with same studs while I was at my second torque stage of 120 lb/ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a proponent of these studs in the past. I thought the price was good for a stud that is "comparable" to the arp 625's. I now hereby take back every good thing I ever said about them.

I need to get a spare parts bin like you guys have!

Sorry for your luck with the stud breaking, although it is best to have the failure now as opposed to later.

I don't have any experience with any of the head studs like you guys are using, but I've had some real rodeos with 3406 and 8.3 exhaust studs. All of the easy out options rely on trying to expand what is left of the stud to catch it and spin it out. Lately I've tried building up an assortment of left hand taps and matching bolts. If it's a larger stud/ bolt, sometimes you can get it drilled, threaded and a bolt with a sleeve or a shank style so it tightens against what's left. That has had mixed results too, seems like when that stuff breaks, it leaves an extra burr or edge that doesn't want to spin out, but it's worth a try when everything else fails.

Back