prototype head gasket installed

625's torqued to 150 with the proper install technique and orings with the proper protrusion will last forever with a marine gasket.

If I didn't want to pull the head...I would trust them with oem mls as well.

85 psi all the time...year after year...

625's torqued to 150 with the proper install technique and orings with the proper protrusion will last forever with a marine gasket.

If I didn't want to pull the head...I would trust them with oem mls as well.

85 psi all the time...year after year...

that sounds good on a 5.9, this gasket is basically a marine gasket, but they currently dont make any other gaskets for the 6.7 other then the stock mls gasket, just trying out new things here, which doesnt bother me, I can do a head gasket swap in a day, and have 2 weeks off at a time to do it. After I get sick of pulling the head, i might just give up and get 625's and a haisley fire ring kit lol

I think the "free floating" ring is gonna be an issue, at least if you use the typical fire ring material. It has the nature of cracking, and the heads on our trucks move with heat. If you could find a different material you might be better off.

On another forum KMK mentioned this gasket already failing, possibly due to "stretching" the bolts he used by doing a hot-retorque.

I also agree with zstroken on the free-floating of the rings being an issue...

studs>bolts

My buddy mentioned to me the other day that when it came to the 6.7 heads they were not as stringent on the tolerances. As far as flatness. Never heard that before then. Anyone know if that's true?

well not a very good update, went out tonight and was really getting on it, doing a lot of wot runs, and blew the gasket, there was a full steady stream of air going into the overflow tank and I had coolant blown all over the place. So I will try round 2 with it, but this time I am going to do things alittle different. I think the gasket will hold fine running studs with it, but only running 120 ft-lbs on these bolts was not near enough, so I will have a new set of them coming, but this time Ill go right to 140-150 ft-lbs with them, instead of the 110 i went with at first, also trying to do a hot retorque on them I think I just stretched them all and ruined them. This is the first time I really pushed the truck hard since the retorque, and I think I might have made it worse. The way this gasket is designed, i can pull it out, clean up the coppper coat on it, and put in a set of new rings and try it again. I am going to try it one more time with this gasket and these head bolts, if it fails me again, then I will drop in 425's. I could throw them in right now and probably be ok, but I want to do some testing and see if my original plan will be good enough to hold. I have learned a few things not to do again, and that is the point of this gasket and setup is trial and error. I head back to work tomorrow for two weeks, so soon as I get home, I will be pulling the head, cleaning up the gasket and installing new rings and bolts, and torquing it down tight enough from the get go, this time.

On another forum KMK mentioned this gasket already failing, possibly due to "stretching" the bolts he used by doing a hot-retorque.

studs>bolts

ummm this thread this forum too:doh:, and you say im stupid, you cant read, your a complete moron, and probably lose more business for suncoast then help them out, you are one of the biggest hypocrites i have ever seen. But ya your right im stupid because i am trying something no one else has tried before, even though there are alot better methods, that have worked, I mean I am probably the first person ever in diesel performance to ever do this. But it is kinda strange that there is usually at least 2 choices on almost every performance part you can buy, which doesnt make since because if one all ready works good, and is made, who on earth would also try making the same thing, and then try it out to see if it works.

Don't trip brother I give you a lot of credit, its guys like you that open things up to a different light. With the new rings are you going to use some studs and what's your opinion on the factory coating that comes on the mls. Can you get a similar coating for your hg. Just a few ideas and there's a lot of us that are very interested in your findings. Good to see someone with lots of patience and lots of ideas willing to put them to the test.

ummm this thread this forum too:doh:, and you say im stupid, you cant read, your a complete moron, and probably lose more business for suncoast then help them out, you are one of the biggest hypocrites i have ever seen. But ya your right im stupid because i am trying something no one else has tried before, even though there are alot better methods, that have worked, I mean I am probably the first person ever in diesel performance to ever do this. But it is kinda strange that there is usually at least 2 choices on almost every performance part you can buy, which doesnt make since because if one all ready works good, and is made, who on earth would also try making the same thing, and then try it out to see if it works.

lol, were you in tears when you wrote this? I don't get you man... relax a little bit :poke:

studs>bolts

I honestly have no idea why this post offends you so much? My apologies for not seeing the 2nd to last post on the first page, I read all the talk of marine gaskets on this page and assumed you hadn't updated here yet. Relax man...

Last edited:
Well it looks like I will be trying one of these on my truck. Should have it Monday or tuesday. Good for you for trying something different.

Back