Pump timing issues

jsmith3391

Hello everyone! Im new to using this forum but I figured id use it because I was having issues last night with my truck. I have a 64mm d-tech turbo, Volant cold air intake, 60lb valve springs, 4k spring kit. valair single full ceramic clutch, 5in exhaust...those are some of my mods. last night I installed 5x0.14 injectors and .024 delivery valves. pin timed both my pump and my engine. truck ran great. went through the process to advance timing to 18 degrees. truck would haze more than id want it to and it would not idle. whenever I took my foot off the throttle, it would die. I went through the timing procedure again and set it to 12 degrees. did the same thing. hazed bad and wouldn't idle. so I set It back to pin timed on both pump and engine. can anybody help me out on why its doing this and not letting me advance???? Im lost and have read over the procedure many times. its tells me I need to go to .233 on the dial indicator for 18 degrees. I went two revolutions on the indicator and stop at .033 on indicator for 18 degrees. truck wouldn't idle. any help would be appreciated. thank you

What's it idle at? May need to adjust idle for the bigger injectors or add more clicks to the gov springs

Well with it not advanced, it idles around that 700-800rpm mark. then when I try advancing, it wont idle at all. I thought about bumping up the timing but that seemed like a Band-Aid to me. wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do to fix it.

Depends what you think excessive is. They will haze more then stock. Are you sure you are advancing the timing and not retarding it?

im going cw with all rotations so im pretty sure im advancing. I think im advancing too much and not using the dial indicator correctly. like I said, it tells me I want .233 for 18* degrees timing. so I went two revolutions and stopped at .033 on the indicator. but that tells me that I went 2.033. that is way to much. cuz when I would rev it up with the timing advanced, it sounded like the pistons wanted to go through the head.

Did you roll the pump till the indicator stopped moving and set the dial to 0 then go .233?

no I just pin timed the pump and then went to .233 from there. is that my issue? and I just read that when I pin time the pump, that is 13.5* degrees timing. is that true? thought that was zero.

No the stock pumps are pinned at what ever the engine spec is. So if it 13.5 the engine is at 0 and the pump is 13.5. You need to roll the pump to base circle then go your .233. That's your issue you were probably in the 40* range

Last edited:
Haha that's a lot of timing. No wonder why it wouldn't idle. Couldnt I just advance it a few degrees from pin timing? Like I was talking to a friend and he said go .035 from pin timing

Thats not really a lot of timing. Its better to do it right then take short cuts. How do you know for sure that's the original pump and its pinned at exactly 13.5? You don't so it needs to go to base circle and go your .233 to be 100% certain your at 18*. A few extra minutes to do it right can save you from melting the engine down from the wrong timing

Last edited:
Yes you can there are mathematics involved into figuring out what the dial indicator reads to what you want i can't remember the numbers but first you need to find out what the factory has your pump set at then advance from there i still haven't found a 12v identical to another from the factory! Hope this helps

Like stated above we take everything from zero cause we like our stuff dead on but you can half a$$ it and and take it from where it is now u just might be off a couple degrees one way or another

Disturb,
Not to rob a thread, but i was under the impression that if a pump was pin timed at say 10°, then the total timing would be 20°.

How i do it:

If you're advancing the timing, you will rotate the motor backwards, or counter clockwise. Set to stock, and rotate the damper backwards about 1/4", which is roughly 3* advance. See if you like it. If you want more, adjust appropriately. I've never used the dial and never had an issue.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. Good to know that I was timing it wrong. My truck sure didnt like 40* of timing

Disturb,
Not to rob a thread, but i was under the impression that if a pump was pin timed at say 10°, then the total timing would be 20°.

I'm not a pump builder but I've never heard that. When we have pumps built (13mm)we have them built and pinned at 0 so I can set the timing by the balancer with balancer tape. Other wise i use the plunger lift (12mm) because you dont know exactly were the pump is when installing a new pump on a engine. Regardless when you tell them you want it pin timed at a certain degree it so the engine is at 0 and they make the pump match the degree you want. So im not sure how many degrees in the pump they need to move it to make it match the degree you want it set at but I don't think it doubles

Yeah I got the whole timing procedure down and figured out. just kind of meticulous with how careful u have to be with the procedure and not bumping time. my factory timing is 16* which seems a little high. bumped it would to 18* and didn't notice much difference. might go to 20-21* next and try that. also thought of doing a adjustable gear for the pump. I think it would make this procedure much less stressful and time consuming.

Back