Pure hydrogen injection

zstroken said:
I know a guy who dumped raw diesel into the intake track to improve power. Ran like a raped ape for about a minute, then the powerstroke went boom!

Thats because it was a powerstroke.

Spectre32 said:
Thats because it was a powerstroke.

The best part is he owns a powerstroke.:hehe:

There may be more to the story about dumping raw diesel into the intake then he may know. Now that i think about it wouldnt dumping fuel into the intake with no regulation or way to stop it cause the engine to run away? Instead of the fuel being combusted when it was supposed to, he created a fuel rich enviroment that the truck was not ment for. I dunno im just throwing sticks.

Seems as much as i didnt think it would help we are learning something from this thread and it does interest more then i thought it would.

nummit said:
The Hindenburg burned up from the coating on the exterior skin, not the hydrogen

Correct! However, due to the temperature of the fire on the skin, the H2 did burn.

The 5%-54% would be in a for a engine that ran off hydrogen. With other octane/cetane fuel added and in a compression combustion engine its a bit different becase the compresion of the gas is what is going to ignite it really. Under the higher pressures, ignition is going to start sooner from what I have seen. Although it does create an interesting scenario... With the ignition of the Hydrogen, it actually clean up the emissions even more in that it takes some of the oxygen molecules, creates water and the water could also cool it. In doing so it takes away from some of the O2 molecules. Now I'm trying to figure out where those extra carbon and nitrogen molecules go. Science is a pain. It may actually be extrememly helpful for emissions if I can figure out what is going to happen to those extra molecules, almost like Bluetec with the urea introduced into the combustions cycle instead of after.

GOT-Torque said:
I like this thread...

I recently starting building a hydrogen generator (browns gas type) using electrolisys for mileage gains, however have been very interested in using pure H2 right from the bottle as well. I also read about the guy putting Duramax's in Hummers and how he was using hydrogen injection. In one of the pictures you can see a highpressure tank in the bed. I was very curious how he regulated the injection of it...

Anyways, a quick call to a bottled gas company gave me this:

Bottle lease is $30 per year or $75 for 5 years. Bottle size is a 'K' which is like a welding bottle 5' tall. 100% hyrogen, 1096 cu ft, between 2000 and 3000 psi. Refills cost $51.

I don't know how long this would last but I'm going to guess that the cost isn't going to be an issue. $80 will only get you 22.5 gallons of fuel in these parts...

Thats some good info, we've tried a couple designs so far, just came up with a new one that seems to be doing better. Once we get it running, I'll post some pictures or something. We got a Pulse Width Modulator from here: Bakatronics that really helped boost production.
According to the John Goodwin guy, his tank lasts for 700 miles-- there is a picture of it in the actual magazine- it looks like a large carbon fiber tank. When I talked to him on the phone, he says that his box fools the computer and injects less diesel fuel and releases the hydrogen.

Pitz said:
Thats some good info, we've tried a couple designs so far, just came up with a new one that seems to be doing better. Once we get it running, I'll post some pictures or something. We got a Pulse Width Modulator from here: Bakatronics that really helped boost production.
According to the John Goodwin guy, his tank lasts for 700 miles-- there is a picture of it in the actual magazine- it looks like a large carbon fiber tank. When I talked to him on the phone, he says that his box fools the computer and injects less diesel fuel and releases the hydrogen.

Well the question still remains, where the christ is the hydrogen injected? I read anarticle for some H2 science journal in the engineering library at Pitt, and I guess you can do it two ways(on a gasser): through the Intake and the way that this guy did it, through the throttle body. He has a pressure regulator and his H2 is injected via that way. Granted it a gasser but he has it workin.

Spectre32 said:
Well the question still remains, where the christ is the hydrogen injected? I read anarticle for some H2 science journal in the engineering library at Pitt, and I guess you can do it two ways(on a gasser): through the Intake and the way that this guy did it, through the throttle body. He has a pressure regulator and his H2 is injected via that way. Granted it a gasser but he has it workin.

Put it right into the intake. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Pitz said:
his box fools the computer and injects less diesel fuel and releases the hydrogen.

On a cummins, could you just modify the APPS signal (scale it back) to reduce the amount of fuel being called for by the ECM? You could maybe also use this signal to determine how much H2 to inject?

Just thinking outloud...

So he was using pure H2 in that carbon fiber tank in the hummer?

I wonder if we could inject that in the trucks? :pop: Get the darn tree huggers that tell me smoke is a gas off my back. I tell them "Rub against my truck and tell my that black crap on your hand is gas buddy..." :what:

GOT-Torque said:
On a cummins, could you just modify the APPS signal (scale it back) to reduce the amount of fuel being called for by the ECM? You could maybe also use this signal to determine how much H2 to inject?

Just thinking outloud...

So he was using pure H2 in that carbon fiber tank in the hummer?

You could probably use something like that, I'm guessing thats all his little black box does.

He had a carbon fiber tank stuck between the wheel wells in the back of the hummer.

I'd think you would be better off using acetylene H2C2 than hydrogen.

I heard or read something that H2 joules thompson coefficient was different than all others gasses and it wouldnt cool like air or most gases do when it goes from high pressure to low pressure, i dont know if thats tru or not.

I wish I would have caught this thread earlier

jponder said:
I'd think you would be better off using acetylene H2C2 than hydrogen.

I heard or read something that H2 joules thompson coefficient was different than all others gasses and it wouldnt cool like air or most gases do when it goes from high pressure to low pressure, i dont know if thats tru or not.

I wish I would have caught this thread earlier

Well Hydrogen is an Ideal gas so yeah its not bound by the whole temperature increasing/decreasing,at a constant enthalpy. But were not looking to cool the air, were looking to add massive amounts of energy to it for combusion purposes. Since air is a "real gas" its bound by that inversion temperature, which does something with cooling and heating the air when it is above/below that point.

What the hell do I know, I fell alseep in Chem I and Chem II.

Spectre32 said:
Well Hydrogen is an Ideal gas so yeah its not bound by the whole temperature increasing/decreasing,at a constant enthalpy. But were not looking to cool the air, were looking to add massive amounts of energy to it for combusion purposes. Since air is a "real gas" its bound by that inversion temperature, which does something with cooling and heating the air when it is above/below that point.

What the hell do I know, I fell alseep in Chem I and Chem II.

I never offically had Chem I or Chem II in college, but I sat in on them anyways.... I never had trig or pre cal and yet I can pass a Cal exam somehow.... Its something with numbers....:bang

This summer I got to see an electrolisys sytem on a big v8 detroit, gravity (or vent) what ever you want to call it tapped right in the intake horn on both charger's the guy couldn't verify any hp #'s but was able to confirm that it helps complete combustion in the cylinders.

Back