pure oxygen

I have seen oxygenated gasoline for bikes and for cars. Racing purposes of course but, they said it helped cool things down like superchaargers which would make more power and a cooler denser charge?

Oxidizers are commonly used to add energy to mileage enhancing products. There are a couple good ones out there, but they are not concentated enough to do anything special, usually 1% or less of the actual chemical that is doing all the work. The rest is just solvents most of the time. Anything that adds heat or BTUs to the fuel burn usually improves mileage, but also usually adds EGT's and hotter combustion temps.

Lets see nitro methane cars run fine for awhile (<5secs). They have an enriched mixture of oxygen and they are detonating half the way down the track (no spark plugs left at the end of the run, they are burned up). Nitro methane flame front is 7,000 degrees-the platinum plugs they use melt around 3200 degrees. The pistons are aluminum. So I think under proper circumstances one could use oxygen to boost power fairly safely for short distances. Diesel burns at around 3,700 degrees in air, but it would be higher in more oxygen rich conditions. So if nitro burners are running at 7,000 degrees with aluminum pistons why cant a diesel? I know you wouldn’t do it for hours, but what about the last 5-8 seconds of a drag race? Add large shot of water to help cool the cylinders/pistons and you may be fine. I say someone should try it. It will at least be fun even if it doesn’t work right, but we will need pics.

Lets see nitro methane cars run fine for awhile (<5secs). They have an enriched mixture of oxygen and they are detonating half the way down the track (no spark plugs left at the end of the run, they are burned up). Nitro methane flame front is 7,000 degrees-the platinum plugs they use melt around 3200 degrees. The pistons are aluminum. So I think under proper circumstances one could use oxygen to boost power fairly safely for short distances. Diesel burns at around 3,700 degrees in air, but it would be higher in more oxygen rich conditions. So if nitro burners are running at 7,000 degrees with aluminum pistons why cant a diesel? I know you wouldn’t do it for hours, but what about the last 5-8 seconds of a drag race? Add large shot of water to help cool the cylinders/pistons and you may be fine. I say someone should try it. It will at least be fun even if it doesn’t work right, but we will need pics.

are those temps at stoich???

from what i know..they run them cars on the verge of hydrolock..so i dont think so..altho that stuff needs very little air

are those temps at stoich???

Not for sure, but the fact is you can get away with a lot of heat for a short time. Think of putting your finger through a candle flame (2500 degrees). You can put your finger through there relatively slowly and not get burned, but if you will get burned by 150 degree water. The water transfers the heat very quickly. Well in the motor you have a flame inside a gas mixture which transfers heat very slowly compared to metal to metal or liquid to metal. Just image how poorly cooled your engine would be if you used a gas instead of liquid to cool it. My point is just because the cylinder is 4000 degrees for a spilt second doesn’t mean your done, it just means you time at full throttle is limited. Try to melt a piston with a candle too; it won’t work because the piston transfers heat so quickly that you can never get the small spot to 1220 degrees.

Yes we could all do what works and just turn our imaginations off. Being creative is bad, I mean if we always did what is proven to work then we would still be cavemen.

Good ta hear from ya Tom...long time no see!

Ditto :D

To keep liquid O2 is a real pain and far more dangerous as long as you have flammables around. It has to be kept in a dewar and continuously leaked off to keep it cold...OK for industry but not for the track.

You should see the tanks out back at work. 3 or 4 of them about 3 stories high, caked with ice in the middle of August....

Yep, pure 02 is a royal PITA to handle....

Back