Purple People Eater Sh*t itself today

All the damaged parts I could find.

6ef7d05f8515b55986c01e815ba0cef9.jpg

I got the truck back up and running, that ball bearing turbo spins FOREVER after shut down. Pretty awesome. But it was all short lived as the trans is now doing what it was before. I'm assuming because ambient temperatures are now higher than they were before when the trans had to warm up first.

So trans loses LU, then OD, then 3rd, then 2nd, as the trans temp rises. I'm assuming its because of the fluid thinning out at it gets warmer and leaking past a seal. I was thinking a servo at first, but that wouldn't explain losing all the gears the way it is. And last time I dropped the pan to try to figure this out, I took out the gov assembly and broke it down/reassembled it. That fixed it for a couple month. That leads me to believe it was an oring on the gov sensor/solenoid, or the gasket itself. One of the orings on the either the sensor or solenoid (can't remember, but it's the one that goes into the middle of the governor housing body) was very loose. That worried me, but it worked after I put it all back together so I didn't think about it again.

So my plan is to get new orings and gasket for the entire gov assembly/housing, and see if that works.

Does my logic make sense? Or could I be overlooking something simple? It has been a long day.

Makes me think the gov solenoid circuit is becoming resistive with heat.
Do you have a way to monitor the command and pressure for the gov circuit?

Damnit. I knew I needed to go back and Re-read, that there was something different about yours. Oh well

Finally got the truck back from Brian Carter about 2 weeks ago, and started driving it the last couple days. Trans is back to normal, plus the converter drain back crap I managed to avoid somehow for the last 5 years LOL I guess the valve body was just leaking everywhere and somewhere down the line the separator plate got messed up. I still can't complain about the old trans, it lasted 5 years, with 3 years on that valve body. He said the rest of the internals looked fine as well.

Big benefit now is I have lockup in every gear selector position, and it will actually shift over 3000rpm. And the converter is back to stock stall.

The new engine is great. The 4202 primary seems to spool damn near as fast as the he351 secondary. Pretty much 50/50 boost split through the entire powerband, though I haven't taken it over 70psi total yet. Cleans up the fuel so fast, I'm gonna have to retune the AFC again. I also have to be careful now with the converter acting right, the rpm's climb extremely fast, almost to the point I'm not coordinated enough to shift fast enough.

Last edited:
Back