Purple People Eater Sh*t itself today

Finally got a "break in" yesterday. I already had about 80 miles on the engine, out of necessity, before I was able to get the trailer hooked up to it. Got 12mpg with those 80 miles, I'd like to think because I was doing my best to keep it loaded whenever I could.

I also learned that the gt4202 will do 50 psi, so I think I need to open the gate a little on it. Thats with 80 psi total, so either I'm somehow way over driving the primary, or theres a boost leak after the secondary, right?

Gross empty trailer - 12k
112 miles traveled - 65 mph with cruise control most of the way
12mpg
950 avg EGT's/10psi, 1300 max/20psi up the "steeper" interstate hills

Gross loaded trailer - 17k
100 miles traveled - 65 mph with cruise control most of the way - different return route with some steep hills
10mpg
1000 avg EGT's/15psi, 1200 max/35psi up some very steep hills

Not a huge load, but I figured it was enough once I got up into the hills. I'm incredibly happy with the EGT's. Mileage, not so much. I'm seriously thinking about going back to 3.55's. I'm just afraid that it's going to really bog it down off the line with a loaded trailer and increase egt's.

Last edited:
Pull some fuel and your mpg should get better.
glad it's running good!

Booooooooo!! lol I do need to adjust the afc back a little still. I think the rings are finally seated though, mileage seems to have improved today.

Only problem now, is if I'm loaded, and trying to start moving from a stop on a hill, it doesn't want to move. Rev's to about 1200rpm and goes nowhere until a little boost starts to build, then it moves just fine. It's always done this, but I never understood why. I always figured the converter would slip more. Stock stall.

Kinda sounds like my low stall acted, you sure its stock?

Goerend said it was. Didn't change anything compared to the 1400 stall it replaced though. I've always suspected they got the numbers mixed up and thought I was replacing a stock stall with a 1400. Not a huge deal, just annoying when starting on hills. Once this one eats it, I'm giving phil taylor a call for a new one, unless he can restall it or refresh it or whatever.

Goerend said it was. Didn't change anything compared to the 1400 stall it replaced though. I've always suspected they got the numbers mixed up and thought I was replacing a stock stall with a 1400. Not a huge deal, just annoying when starting on hills. Once this one eats it, I'm giving phil taylor a call for a new one, unless he can restall it or refresh it or whatever.

As far as I know he can freshen them up and restall. If I remember right it wasn't that bad of a price.

I am SO late to this party, but having only read page 13 here's my input:

My "stock" stall that DPC restalled from a tighter version was about perfect for my truck. And that was with the fuel just pouring in. Some tuning would have helped it more. The DTT and Suncoast 44 [I think] I had flashed to 1200ish RPM and would bog/smoke forever with a heavy load. I had to use 4LO at a stoplight on a hill with the DTT because I smoked though a whole green light without moving.

Sounds like the Goerend is still a little tight. Call Phil and talk to him, he might be able to help or at least give you some advice on the converter.

On the 47RE problems. That's the reason I had to go to another transmission. Towing with 4 gears what a nightmare and it acted funky sometimes. I have a G56 now, however I suck at stick so I'm basically screwed unless I run an Allison or something. Good luck man, get some gauges on the trans pressure ports and report them to someone who knows something. That always helped me.

I am SO late to this party, but having only read page 13 here's my input:

My "stock" stall that DPC restalled from a tighter version was about perfect for my truck. And that was with the fuel just pouring in. Some tuning would have helped it more. The DTT and Suncoast 44 [I think] I had flashed to 1200ish RPM and would bog/smoke forever with a heavy load. I had to use 4LO at a stoplight on a hill with the DTT because I smoked though a whole green light without moving.

Sounds like the Goerend is still a little tight. Call Phil and talk to him, he might be able to help or at least give you some advice on the converter.

On the 47RE problems. That's the reason I had to go to another transmission. Towing with 4 gears what a nightmare and it acted funky sometimes. I have a G56 now, however I suck at stick so I'm basically screwed unless I run an Allison or something. Good luck man, get some gauges on the trans pressure ports and report them to someone who knows something. That always helped me.

The converter will definitely end up going to phil when the time comes. I'd even be happy with it actually stalling at 1500 where the primary starts to move. Right now I just gotta get it running again lol. I will say, about twice a week now, I've considered swapping to a 5spd with an "easy on the knee" clutch for 700hp, and just stay worry free. Besides the trans work costing so much money, the truck being down is actually losing me money now.

I don't have the stuff on hand to do the testing. I'm just trying to narrow down possibilities so when the builder gets back from vacation or responds to me I'll have something more to tell him to help the diagnosis/repair go a little faster.

I bought a gauge kit from Napa a while ago and it came with 20 fittings. It works great to tape to a mirror to check trans pressures while driving. I use it for fuel, trans, everything. Can't remember the price, but it helps to tell the trans or valve body guy what the pressures.

The clutch I have isn't easy on anything, it's almost unforgiving. It's rated for 800hp and probably overkill. I'd love an Allison after owning another Duramax, but the cost is hard to justify in a beat up farm truck like mine.

Mike I can get you in a 5 speed for cheap. Just because I have extra parts laying around. I can get you a nv4500 with no bell housing, but with pedals, interior pieces for about $1200. You would just need a clutch. That included the 1 3/8 input shaft. I can probably get a killer deal on a south bend since the ole lady's dad is a SB dealer.

Last edited:
lmao the trucks is back getting fixed now. I'm gonna give it a little more time before I give up. If this one will just work, I'll love it.

Back