R700 boost numbers....

2007 5.9

West Coast Dyno Modifier
Going to be tuning on a truck this morning that's got the R700's, Flux 3's, dual Cp3's, and running TNT/R. Customer states he can see 80psi on the street, and temps are good.

My question is when tuning this truck what should I see for boost from the primary??? Also at what point a4e these turbos out of their map?? Just need a solid number to start with thenadjust from there!

TIA!

80 psi is probally to much.when i first put mine in the boost number's were 54psi and ran very strong about 12.2's worth.before that i had the super b single, boost number's on that turbo was 37psi.i just recently turned the actuator rod 3 full times, now im at 60 psi running a farely aggressive smarty tune.egt's at the end of a run are 1225deg.IMO 80 psi is way to much, and overkill for sure, unless you need it cause of huge injector's and a really hot PPE custom tune or something like that.

80 psi is probally to much.when i first put mine in the boost number's were 54psi and ran very strong about 12.2's worth.before that i had the super b single, boost number's on that turbo was 37psi.i just recently turned the actuator rod 3 full times, now im at 60 psi running a farely aggressive smarty tune.egt's at the end of a run are 1225deg.IMO 80 psi is way to much, and overkill for sure, unless you need it cause of huge injector's and a really hot PPE custom tune or something like that.

I get that...I know that 80psi is too much!! What i would like to know is...where is the best spot to be at for psi with these twins, and how much work should the primary be doing???

Again TNT/R, Flux 3's and Dual Cp3's.

TIA!!

I don't know about your set up but with mine I was told the primary (large turbo)
should be making slightly less than half the total. 2/4 pounds less.
There again ask three different people & you will get three different answers.
One explained it as ( you want the small one to keep giving you 2 /4 pounds more than half the total boost. If not the small one wount be doing it share of work . Being push along for the ride .

Please correct me if Im wrong. I am also here to learn.

the bottom turbo on the 700's is a strong turbo, just a tad on the small side. To small to run nitrous, or run the smarty tnt r tune,, seems that even with the 800's they dont like RPM's.

I would think that if you could gate the bottom down to around 55 60 psi, it would be good, and I would gate the top somewheres in around the 23 25 psi,, of course as you would know, this is a little different for every truck, but that is a good start. But 60 is the max I would say you would want to really run with the 700's

Kevin

i know a handfull of guys running them, and im the lowest at psi at 60.there an awesome set of turbo's built for each other.

It was my truck run on the dyno today, really disappointing numbers. The best we hit was about 605hp uncorrected, about 585 corrected. Pulled a dozen runs with different combos of timing/pressure/power levels. Level 8 Timing 2 definitely spooled the fastest, but made low power with 1600 egt. Level 9 Timing 2 Rail 3 with MP8 at about 30% made the best @ the 605hp number at 1200 egt. MP8 added about 20hp and really smoothed out the power curve. Level 7 feels stronger on the street, but Level 9 proved more dyno power. We couldn't run more pressure, something is wrong with my MP8 and it goes straight to max pressure w/rattling injectors after 30%, like an on-off switch. Max rail with the MP8 was 27K psi, without the MP8, 23K-25K psi.

Something has gotta be happening that we haven't figured out yet. My old setup with the Towing Twins and DDP 90 injectors with an II Stage 2 pump made 589hp. We have way more fuel now (Flux 3.0 + Dual CP3) and more air. Definitely feels faster on the street, but we were expecting at least 60 more hp on the dyno.

I'm running the TNT-R POD, I'll kick it back down to the regular TNT this weekend and see if anything changes. This is an infamous 2007 truck like Triton's.

Any other ideas? Just about everyone else dynoing with these turbos and this much fuel puts out 650+ hp.

More info: Total boost ran between 55psi and 75psi depending on the settings, the best power came in the 60 psi range. More boost did not equal more power. Turbos were running at a 1:2 boost ratio for the most part.

the bottom turbo on the 700's is a strong turbo, just a tad on the small side. To small to run nitrous, or run the smarty tnt r tune,, seems that even with the 800's they dont like RPM's.
I would think that if you could gate the bottom down to around 55 60 psi, it would be good, and I would gate the top somewheres in around the 23 25 psi,, of course as you would know, this is a little different for every truck, but that is a good start. But 60 is the max I would say you would want to really run with the 700's

Kevin

Why do you say this? I know the r700 runs a s471 on the bottom and the r850 is a s475 turbo, but they should be able to run 4k rpm, with no problem, no2 though I know nothing about.

Not sure about the hp claims on the BD twins . Thay run T-4 EX inlet sizeing on the primary {less flow more drive pressure} than a T-6 s-400 turbo and if there using the same s-300G 58mm comp wheel on top thats a big choke point aswell . we know that 62 65 14 s-300 with a T-6 s-475 has air for cool 750 hp . It takes a T-6 S-480 with a 62 65 14 for 850 hp of air . So does any one else think theres something wrong with the fuzzy math BD used on turbo sizeing ?

Last edited:
fuzzy math by BD. do you have any idea what you are talking about.THE R700 ARE a s300 over a custom s400.i put down just under 700hP with them at 1200deg.and that was without water/meth which netted me 22hp last time.ive beaten up handfull's of truck' s at the track with bigger twins, and with bigger injector's.the r700 isnt just 2 turbo's they decided to throw together in a day's work you know.they compliment each other extremely well.

you might wont to really look in to how many {S-300} turbo sizeing s there are. Custom turbo is a stretch thay are a sx s-400 turbo made and sold by Borg warner . I have no doubt that the small sizeing used in there set up wouldnt compliment each outher. what was your Drive pressure at 700 hp ? theres no way the drive pressure would be less than a t-6 inlet turbo of the some AR its apples and oranges. you may have a 1.2 or 1.3 drive pressure were the T-6 would have 1.1 . Is that your first set of twins ? after you have had 4 or 5 set ups on you truck maby you could better gage what different turbos will actually do .

i know what they do thanks. for what i want, and what i do with the truck. the R700's are perfect.couldnt care less what you say, number's do all the talking necessary.:Cheer:also never heard of 1 turbo of mine crapping out, so there must be tons huh.

I had the R700 set-up on my truck for a short period. I was very pleased with the way they performed. Spool up was crazy fast and therefore power and torque was made lower in the rpm band.
I dynoed a couple times and was always 700+ my best being 709. Boost was 65psi and drive pressure was 70psi. Temps with this combo 1400f~
Regardless of the size of these turbo they are meant to work efficiently to 700.
I never messed with my wastegate on the super b as I had no issues making the power or seeing the boost.
Back in the day I did my best with Smarty Beta 4.3 and a predator pressure box 2018.
Flux 3.5's /dual pumps

thats where i am oneton, just with a less egt's. around 1300 tops at the end of a quarter mile run.what do you have know.

It was my truck run on the dyno today, really disappointing numbers. The best we hit was about 605hp uncorrected, about 585 corrected. Pulled a dozen runs with different combos of timing/pressure/power levels. Level 8 Timing 2 definitely spooled the fastest, but made low power with 1600 egt. Level 9 Timing 2 Rail 3 with MP8 at about 30% made the best @ the 605hp number at 1200 egt. MP8 added about 20hp and really smoothed out the power curve. Level 7 feels stronger on the street, but Level 9 proved more dyno power. We couldn't run more pressure, something is wrong with my MP8 and it goes straight to max pressure w/rattling injectors after 30%, like an on-off switch. Max rail with the MP8 was 27K psi, without the MP8, 23K-25K psi.

Something has gotta be happening that we haven't figured out yet. My old setup with the Towing Twins and DDP 90 injectors with an II Stage 2 pump made 589hp. We have way more fuel now (Flux 3.0 + Dual CP3) and more air. Definitely feels faster on the street, but we were expecting at least 60 more hp on the dyno.

I'm running the TNT-R POD, I'll kick it back down to the regular TNT this weekend and see if anything changes. This is an infamous 2007 truck like Triton's.

Any other ideas? Just about everyone else dynoing with these turbos and this much fuel puts out 650+ hp.

My 07 with almost the same exact set up pulled the same numbers. It is an 07 problem turst me and Marco will look at in May. Also did Bob say the POD TNT is not working right?

POD problem:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/smarty-power/130574-better-than-smarty-3.html

Last edited:
Back